What Are the Most Common Errors When Proofreading an Essay?
- Author Emma Jones
- Published March 30, 2020
- Word count 413
Writing an essay can already be a daunting task for new and seasoned writers alike. After hours of research, you have now finally managed to put together a final draft and are about to submit it. Suddenly, you are overcome with a feeling of dread as you realize that you still have to give the draft a final read-through to spot any mistakes that might have slipped through during the writing process.
Already pressed for time, you are probably wondering how to most effectively tackle this stage to make sure that your writing is in great shape.
Some errors are more common than others and avoiding them is easy with a bit of discipline. Even better, this is a skill that any writer can develop over time - it only takes a bit of practice!
In my experience as an academic and scientific editor working with students and researchers from leading global institutions, I can say that I have seen certain errors occur repeatedly during the proofreading process. The list below offers a brief summary of each and tips on how to avoid them:
Not referencing your essay correctly - if your institution provides you with a style sheet, please read it and do your best to follow its guidelines. This saves you not only marks but also helps avoid plagiarism in your writing.
Repetition or contradictory statements - this one is a bit tricky as it takes a lot of focus spotting paragraphs that are either a repetition of your thoughts or contradict what has been claimed before.
Proofreading your work immediately after writing it - you'd be surprised how much more effective a fresh pair of eyes could be! Time permitting, always give your work a second read after a day or two. Familiarity breeds blindness and this could not be truer.
Not checking if your essay actually addresses the question - this one might be obvious, but focusing too much on spelling and punctuation could easily distract you from also reviewing the content itself overall.
Not printing your work on paper - you are more likely to spot mistakes reading your essay on paper rather than only working on a computer screen. Extra tip for the more meticulous among you: as old-fashioned as it might sound, using a ruler below every line when checking it can do wonders as it separates it from the rest of the text making errors even more obvious.
Good luck to all writers out there!
At Scienture, our ultimate aim is to help authors extend the reach of their publications by bridging the language gap between authors, their peers and the global scientific community. We continually invest in our authors and help them become better researchers and writers over time.http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Cyber Security Certifications the New Frontier in the IT
- 10 Benefits of Working While Studying
- Want to Study Abroad? Check out the pros and cons of studying abroad!
- Urgent Finance Assignment Help
- How much Assignment Help is necessary for a student?
- Are you struggling to write an academic essay?
- Why quantitative analysis is the master key to a successful thesis
- Get Statistics Assignment Help Online
- Get Statistics Assignment Help
- Top 10 tips on how to combine your part-time work and studies in the UK
- Speculations on a Quantum Model of Gravity
- How To Avoid Plagiarism (Copy And Paste) In Research Writing
- What Is Research?
- The Most Effective Method To Choose A Good Project Topic
- Progressive IT universities in USA
- What is Free and Fair Election?
- How To Write A Final Year Research Project or Dissertation
- Academic Writing Tips - How to Write a Book Report for College Level
- The Difference between Online and Traditional Classes
- Risk management
- Do Current Law Students Need: Remedial Study; and Different External Bar Preparation?
- Proofreading Your Assignment
- Should I visit the College?
- Examples Of Economics Thesis and Dissertation Topic Ideas for American Students
- Selecting a psychology degree program - the Ph.D, Ed.D, Psy.D and Ed.S
- Is Global Education Accessible to Asian Students?
- Ways to do stress-free coursework writing
- How to find a job right out of University
- Choose the Best Marketing Dissertation Topic Using 3 Tricks