Reference & Education → Education
- Author Samantha Morrison
- Published July 1, 2010
- Word count 592
Nearing the end of your undergraduate degree you will be asked to write a dissertation. This will be a longer piece of writing based on your own research. The dissertation may be named something else} such as "research essay", "long essay", "extended essay" or "final year project".
First steps towards the dissertation
First decide on a subject to research. For some well-prepared students, they have a a hobby or interest based on something within their topic and so they find it easy to choose a dissertation issue. For others, pinpointing a dissertation topic can be a long, drawn out process. Consider what you are interested in. You might even come up with an idea that would impress a company you would like to work for. If you are able to find this sort of topic that can be applied in the "real world" your research may even turn out to be something you can develop for work. Some general reading around your subject might spark off new ideas, or there may be a problem which you feel is unresolved in the current literature. Here is your chance to look at this further.
You want a research idea interesting enough to keep your interest for a few months. Although you might be the first person to try to solve the issue under research, you don't want it to be something so peculiar that you have difficulties in finding any reading matter. If in doubt, ask the supervisor if your chosen subject is too big or too small to answer in the space of an undergraduate dissertation.
Accurate files from the start of your studies is vital. You will be doing a lot of study and as the project goes on, it becomes difficult to recall where you read certain details. Your paperwork need to record the exact titles and other bibliographic information of all the resources you read. Going back later to look for a book you read before in order to check the place or date of publication will waste hours of your time. Some students will also have a separate record detailing their research and their own ideas as the work progresses – almost like a journal specially for their research project.
Reading for your dissertation
Your reading for the dissertation will be lengthy and although your supervisor can make sure that you don't go off on the wrong track with your research, you will be seeking out material for yourself. You may need to be referring to a Fifteenth Century parchment or referring to Nineteenth Century newspapers. Your material will include books, gazettes, websites and a wide range of other written material: cookery books, collections of diaries or title deeds.
When does this start?
Your college or university will probably launch the work for your dissertation towards the end of your second year (if you are on a three year course). This means you will have the summer holidays to begin to develop possible ideas and do some general reading for the project.
You may be introduced to a supervisor before the summer holidays and have the chance to debate your primary opinions with them before you tackle the research. Although the mentor will be able to give you guidance, there may come a stage when you have done so much study that you become the expert on the question. One of your ambitions should be that by the end of your writing, you know more about the topic than just about any other researcher.
Samantha is a writer for Oxbridge Essays.The company 's essay writing service is an invaluable guide for students. Working with various levels of essay formats and working with students right up to PhD , all essays are written by Oxbridge graduates.Article source: https://articlebiz.com
- Are blinds good for schools?
- An Examination of Lycanthropy
- Meeting the Uzbek client where he is at, and not at.
- Uzbek respectfulness and mental health implications; traditions of Hurmatchiliq
- Counseling Uzbek-speaking clients; kak deela-siz?
- The Top 10 Java Assignment Expert Suggestions to Ace Your Programming Paper
- Job Performance Evaluation Criteria-2023
- What to do if someone is choking?
- The Importance of Dissertation Editing and Proofreading
- Blinds installed in John Lennon's old school
- How to write an assignment quickly
- Breaking the Cycle: The Impact of Female Out-of-School Children in Nigeria
- The Xenon Theory
- Why Was the U.S. Air Force Created
- IELTS Preparation in Dubai
- What exactly is BLS, and why is BLS Certification necessary?
- Methods of forming the perception of fiction by older preschoolers
- How to Conduct a Basic Crime Scene Investigation
- How to Conquer Anger
- 7 Most Common Strategies Involved by Expert Writers in Research Paper.
- The Truth Behind Extreme Evangelical Christianity in Schools
- Cumberland Academy: Learning Program amidst COVID-19 Pandemic
- What Educational Technology can do for Teachers in the Nigeria
- The Prevalence of Mental Health Issues in Students,Teachers, and Educational Business Leaders
- Observing an Art Educator
- Why Pro - Choice ?
- Best Way to Ace the CIMA Financial Strategy F3 Exam
- Indexing Bodies For Academic Journals - Top 10 Indexing Bodies
- Surviving prison in the US
- Surviving in a county jail in USA