Functional Tips For Selecting A Studio Quality Handmade Dresser
- Author Paul Donio
- Published March 24, 2011
- Word count 755
Craftsman can create an endless number of unique handmade dressers that are as exquisite as they are useful and functional by studying and using a conglomeration of designs and fashions that have been popular at different times over the course of centuries. Artisans make old fashions popular today by melding styles, such as Queen Anne, Shaker and Mission styles. By doing so, a craftsman can honor old traditions while adding a mixture of woods or accents to match other bedroom furniture or simply personal styles. Sideboard dressers especially look tradition and modern at the same time when they are made from a blend of woods, which creates a special aesthetic in any dining room.
When building the tops, sides and drawers of handmade wooden dressers, craftsmen use the same dovetail joinery that is used for robust handmade desks. Dovetail joints can also hold the body of the dresser, or the carcass, together to add an element of personality while making it powerful at the same time. Frame and panel construction that uses mortise and tenon joinery is used with other dressers, and it looks especially beautiful with wooden pin accents. A sturdy handmade dresser will combine both joinery methods to make a good carcass and drawers.
The Queen Anne style is one style of handmade wooden furniture that was popular centuries ago and is still in high fashion today. It first became popular between 1720 and 1760, and a notable feature of this style is the S-curve in the design, or the cyma, which you can notice in the feet of a chair, the base of a dresser or in other areas of the furniture. The soft curves easily blend other styles of the room and makes a large piece of furniture look less severe.
Originally made from walnut, the Queen Anne style of furniture is a singularly Colonial American style. Today, handmade dressers of this style can be found made from any natural wood, such as cherry, butternut, maple or mahogany. Butternut wood is from the walnut tree family, and is celebrated for its warmer, honey-colored tones with contrasting darker grains.
An artisan will also delight in mixing types of wood for a more modern-looking handmade dresser. Hardwood knobs on the drawers of a bedroom dresser can be made from darker rainforest woods or even brass. The top of the dresser might feature darker dovetail details to bring an understated accent of beauty to an otherwise basic dresser. Studio furniture makers have the freedom to enjoy playing with the combinations of natural woods, knobs and joinery methods to create dressers that are truly unique and tailored to a client's specific style preferences.
The Shaker style of furniture making is another example of a very traditional style that is still popular today. The Shaker style originated in the late 1700's, and it is still revered today for its simplicity, the straight lines and sturdy features and joinery methods. They are built to last a lifetime for both their unique style that can fit in any setting, as well as their construction. A couple special features of a Shaker style is the arched apron and tapered legs.
Originally minimal in decoration, Shaker-style sideboards today look more modern because craftsmen usually add modern touches, like adding different kinds of wood in the paneling. Contrasting woods like maple and walnut actually accentuates the elegance of the other panels and drawers. Notably practical in its simplicity, the Shaker style furniture pieces are perfect for both storing things in the dining room and also being the center piece to any room.
Studio craftsmen make Shaker style sideboards look more contemporary by taking different types of natural wood and using the contrasting colors to distinguish subtle features of the piece of furniture. Darker wood might be used to make the knobs stand out, and glass paneling can even be used for the doors, which was not previously done.
Studio craftsmen create handmade dressers that are very different than mass-produced dressers because artisans are free to design and build dressers that are unique and special for each and every client. Mass produced dressers can't be that special because they need to appeal to a wider variety of tastes. Working directly with a craftsman will let you create something together that speaks to your specific interests and style.
Before finalizing your purchase decision on a high quality handmade dressers, stop by my online store at Hawk Ridge Furniture. I can customize your handmade dresser to accommodate essential needs of a unique space in your home.
Before finalizing your purchase decision on a high quality handmade dressers, stop by my gallery at Hawk Ridge Furniture. I can alter your handmade dresser to accommodate essential needs of a unique space and also fits your lifestyle.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- 5 Simple Ways Indoor Plantation Shutters Enhance Home Décor
- Tips for house removals
- Tips and tricks from ZDT Kitchen Remodeling for a smooth home renovation
- Locksmith 4 U
- Tips For Painting Or Staining Your Patio Deck
- Removing Oil Out Of Carpet
- Why pay for home development when you may do it yourself?
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home
- Tips for choosing good cheap removalists interstate Melbourne
- Why Choose Resin For Your Driveway?
- Essential Things to Note When Searching for Concrete Restoration Services in Palm Beach