Solar Power to Energy –New Process
- Author Sam Braidley
- Published March 15, 2011
- Word count 595
Up to a few weeks back we knew only of a handful of processes to harness the immense sources of energy transmitted on to the earth surface. All forms of energy except perhaps nuclear energy, originated from the sun. (Sun itself is a huge nuclear reactor, come to think of it!) We have been converting this radiant energy to a form usable in a traditional application. But since time immemorial the most efficient conversion process has been photosynthesis by plant life with chlorophyll.
However much tried we have not been able so far to duplicate this seemingly simple chemical process.
However the latest news coming out from the Swiss and US solar researchers labs is that a new process has been developed which uses Water, Carbon dioxide and solar energy, to duplicate photosynthesis in a way (though not exact). As you know Hydrogen is the most efficient combustible fuel known to man but hitherto has not been able to produce or store safely and economically. Though not an exact copy of photosynthesis, the new process at least to a certain extend mimic it and provide high energy fuel of Hydrogen along with Carbon monoxide as end products.
The Hydrogen is expected to be used in fuel cells or as Syngas along with the Carbon Monoxide produced.
Millions of hectares of green vegetation covering the earth’s surface is our life blood. They provide energy, clean our atmosphere, provide Oxygen for us to breath, keep the surface soil bound and many other known and unknown benefits. Our present technology is not yet competent enough to provide all these to us.
The new system that only partly mimic the natural process consists of a concentrated solar radiation collector, Porous Ceria (Cerium Oxide) lined vessel which is insulated with Alumina ( ie. the simple salt aluminium oxide), an inlet to the vessel interior for Carbon dioxide and water and an outlet at the bottom for hi efficiency fuels Hydrogen and Carbon Monoxide. The metal oxide Ceria is a rare earth element but is about the commonest in nature in the series.
Metal Oxide Ceria is a salt with a peculiar property. It imbibes oxygen when it’s temperature rises and releases oxygen when cools down. What the new device does is that it absorbs the heat from the concentrated solar radiation which passes through the quartz cover of the device. Porous ceria lines the inner surface of the chamber to which CO2 and Water is entered. The end products are Hydrogen and Carbon monoxide, both efficient fuels.
Currently the problem with Photovoltaic Solar panels and Thermal Solar panels is that they are static and the collected energy is difficult to transport or stored enmasse. The high efficient fuels of the new process earmarked for future environmentally friendly automobiles, air craft, industrial processes etc. provide ways to store them close by outdoors as well as within the place/machine of usage.
Just like for any volatile fuel or chemical these high energy fuels too will have to be stored or transported with extreme caution and due safety measures observed.
It is expected that the new device will provide solutions for many a current problem experienced with renewable energy usages. The major draw back presently is the low efficiency of the device. Swiss and US Scientists who are involved in this invention expect to have a break through in this regard soon.
Interestingly this machine can also be used to produce Methane too, another fuel whose energy content is less and easily adopted for domestic energy applications.
There are no posted comments.
- Tips for house removals
- Tips and tricks from ZDT Kitchen Remodeling for a smooth home renovation
- Locksmith 4 U
- Tips For Painting Or Staining Your Patio Deck
- Removing Oil Out Of Carpet
- Why pay for home development when you may do it yourself?
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home
- Tips for choosing good cheap removalists interstate Melbourne
- Why Choose Resin For Your Driveway?
- Essential Things to Note When Searching for Concrete Restoration Services in Palm Beach
- How LED Lights Benefit Senior Citizens’ Health