It’s Spring Cleaning Time. Don’t Forget Your Luxury Down Bedding & Sofa Cushions.
- Author Lisa Stevens
- Published March 23, 2011
- Word count 593
Spring time is here and as we enthusiastically open up our windows, begin cleaning or redecorating, let's not forget our down comforters, down pillows and featherbeds. Comforters and pillows should be cleaned professionally every 3 - 4 years and renovated every 7 - 10 years. Featherbeds should be renovated every 7 - 10 years. Proper care keeps them fresh and beautiful ensuring they will last for years. It is also a good time to plump them back up with extra filling if they have become flat.
Never wash or dry-clean down. Harmful chemicals and soap will rob the down of its oils leaving you with a flat pillow, comforter or featherbed. It will also cause pieces of the down cluster to break off interfering with its ability to trap body heat. There will also be a bad odor from dry-cleaning fluids. Drying can be problematic due to the size of comforters and featherbeds. If down is not dried properly, mildew will set in, leaving you with a bad odor and a problem for allergy sufferers. Dry-cleaners do not have equipment large enough for featherbeds.
Down bedding purchased within the last 3 or 4 years should be hung over a line on a warm, sunny, breezy day. Let nature refresh and rejuvenate them. If this is not possible hang them over a couple of chairs near an open window. Placing comforters and pillows in a dryer will fluff up the filling if it has flattened or you may wish to add some filling when you get them cleaned. If your down comforters, pillows and featherbeds are over 4 or 5 years old, take them to a down care specialist. They will be expertly cleaned and reconditioned using an all natural method which will plump up the filling and deodorize it, remove any dust. Possibly they need a complete renovation which includes cleaning, reconditioning and a new outer shell. If you wish to plump up your comforter, pillows and featherbed (which will reduce annoying shifting, and add extra warmth), additional filling can be added at this time.
If you purchased a high quality down comforter, most can be used year round. If you do store your comforter because you have a summer down comforter or prefer to use only a sheet, store the comforter in a cotton bag, not a plastic bag.
Take care of your down bedding by having it cleaned by a down professional. Luxury quality down comforters, pillows and featherbeds deserve the proper care to protect your investment so you can enjoy your down luxuries for life.
When your down bedding is returned from being cleaned or renovated, remember to always use pillow protectors on pillows, a high thread count lightweight duvet cover to protect your down comforter, and a featherbed cover preferably with a baffle wall to allow your newly cleaned featherbed to loft up to its full potential especially if you have added extra filling.
Did you receive an heirloom down comforter from your grandmother? After it is cleaned and renovated you can decide whether to keep the same size or upgrade to a larger size.
Don't forget your down and feather sofa cushions and throw cushions. These too can be cleaned/reconditioned, have extra filling added to plump up a sagging chair or sofa and new ticking to prevent loss of feathers and down. Look for baffling in your new ticking if you are having your sofa cushions renovated. This prevents the filling from moving out to the sides when you sit on the sofa or lean back on the back cushions. Baffling will keep it all in place.
Lisa Stevens is a Comfort Specialist for The Down Company. Since 1973 she has been offering her expertise in the selection and care of luxury down bedding. She can be reached at
1-800-USA-DOWN or firstname.lastname@example.org://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- SUMMARY - YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Part 2 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Part 1 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- How to Choose the Best Roof Installation Service Provider for Your House?
- 5 Simple Ways Indoor Plantation Shutters Enhance Home Décor
- Tips for house removals
- Tips and tricks from ZDT Kitchen Remodeling for a smooth home renovation
- Locksmith 4 U
- Tips For Painting Or Staining Your Patio Deck
- Removing Oil Out Of Carpet
- Why pay for home development when you may do it yourself?
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design