Explore The History of Ireland
- Author Jim Thomas
- Published November 9, 2011
- Word count 492
If you’re visiting Ireland there are many historically significant places you should visit, among them might even be your accommodation if you choose a Bed and Breakfast. The Passage Tomb at Newgrange in County Meath has existed since 6000 B.C. It is considered to be older than the Pyramids and an attracting feature is the ray of light that enters the tomb through a narrow passageway during winter solstice on the shortest day of the year.
The Hill of Tara towers at 500 feet and provides an excellent view of County Meath. It is the most significant religious site in all of Ireland. It is the traditional seat of Kings and holds many monuments as well as the Mound of Hostages.
Trim Castle is a definite must see location if you’re staying at a bed and breakfast in Ireland. Constructed in 1176, it is the biggest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland and bears the marks of the most violent attacks of Anglo-Normans at the same time giving you an insight into the history of the building.
Dating back to 5000 B.C., Ceide Fields is one of the oldest field systems in Ireland. The world-famous Neolithic features make this a distinct location worth visiting.
The Ancient Stone Port of Dun Aungus is an ancient site that sits on top of a 300 foot cliff. The meandering stone walls separate the beautiful and intense landscapes of small fields. The windswept land with the limestone walls shows another side to Ireland.
The Ardfert Cathedral was founded by St. Brendan "The Navigator" in the 6th century. The beautiful architecture is Romanesque and has battlements that were added in the 15th century. The three medieval churches and the medieval grave slabs are popular tourist sites that shouldn’t be missed.
Desmond Castle was built in 1500 and has a fascinating history that includes Spanish occupation in 1601 and a prison for American soldiers during the American War of Independence. The castle is full of interesting features and includes an International Museum of Wine.
Muckross Friary was founded in the 15th century and has been very well preserved. The tower was added after construction and sits as the only tower to be the same width as the church in Ireland. The monks who lived there were driven out by Cromwellians in 1652.
The 1848 Warhouse stands as the scene of the Young Irelander’s rising 1848 during the Great Famine. This historic site showcases the story of the uprising and political exile of the Young Irelanders in Australia and America during the time of the Great Famine and Europe’s year of revolutions.
A visit to Blarney Castle in Ireland is highly recommended and is the site of the famous kissing stone that one kisses in the hopes of receiving eloquent speech. Built in 1446, it holds an interesting history including the exile of Lord Blarney after the Battle of the Boyne. With its tall towers and beautiful gardens it is a magical place to visit.
There are no posted comments.
- Experts On Call: Your Ultimate Solution for Reliable Service Professionals in Australia
- J. David Tax Law: Your Top Tax Levy Lawyer in North Carolina
- Who Can Garnish Tax Refunds: Your Questions Answered
- Top 5 Anti-Aging Skincare Ingredients That Work
- Read About The Faqs Of Careprost!
- Unlock the Secrets to Handling a North Carolina Notice of Deficiency
- Exquisite Nuptials Abroad: A Romantic Odyssey Through the Charm of France, Italy, and Spain
- Using Leaky Feeders for Communication
- From Adoration to Control: Unmasking the Tactics of Love Bombing
- Reclaiming Your Voice: Finding Empowerment After Divorcing a Narcissistic Spouse
- Discover Unmatched Quality and Service with Great Value Garage: Tacoma largest Garage Door Company chooses you.
- Navigating the Dynamic Landscape of Hot Trends in SMM Panels
- Careprost Vs Latisse: Which Lash Enhancer Reigns Supreme?
- Rustic woodgrain farmhouse cottage with vintage carved barn doors
- The Top 5 Anti-Aging Ingredients That Actually Work For Your Skin
- The woman who looked down on her husband: African Folklore, a Story my Father Told me
- Bridal Glow-Up: Tanning Tips and Services for Hills District Brides
- The Ultimate Guide to Eyelash Extension Care: Tips for Long-Lasting Lashes
- Navigating Challenging Business Conditions: The Power of Strategic Marketing
- Shifting from Fossil Fuels to Renewable Energy – Using Sustainable Technologies
- Exploring Paris: A Journey Through Time and Culture
- The Ultimate Guide to Color Grading: Techniques and Tools for Beginners
- The Connection Between Sleep Apnea and Cardiovascular Disease
- Why You Should Visit the Maldives 2024
- Mastering The Art Of Injection Moulding: Understanding The Process And Its Applications
- From Concept To Creation: A Step-By-Step Guide To Developing Product Prototypes
- What is a ‘trapped nerve’?
- Exploring the Impact of Forward Head Posture (FHP)
- A Clicking Neck: Self-Manipulation vs. Chiropractic Care – What’s the Difference?
- Get Your Garage Door Back on Track: Expert Repair & Installation in Ruston