Explore The History of Ireland
- Author Jim Thomas
- Published November 9, 2011
- Word count 492
If you’re visiting Ireland there are many historically significant places you should visit, among them might even be your accommodation if you choose a Bed and Breakfast. The Passage Tomb at Newgrange in County Meath has existed since 6000 B.C. It is considered to be older than the Pyramids and an attracting feature is the ray of light that enters the tomb through a narrow passageway during winter solstice on the shortest day of the year.
The Hill of Tara towers at 500 feet and provides an excellent view of County Meath. It is the most significant religious site in all of Ireland. It is the traditional seat of Kings and holds many monuments as well as the Mound of Hostages.
Trim Castle is a definite must see location if you’re staying at a bed and breakfast in Ireland. Constructed in 1176, it is the biggest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland and bears the marks of the most violent attacks of Anglo-Normans at the same time giving you an insight into the history of the building.
Dating back to 5000 B.C., Ceide Fields is one of the oldest field systems in Ireland. The world-famous Neolithic features make this a distinct location worth visiting.
The Ancient Stone Port of Dun Aungus is an ancient site that sits on top of a 300 foot cliff. The meandering stone walls separate the beautiful and intense landscapes of small fields. The windswept land with the limestone walls shows another side to Ireland.
The Ardfert Cathedral was founded by St. Brendan "The Navigator" in the 6th century. The beautiful architecture is Romanesque and has battlements that were added in the 15th century. The three medieval churches and the medieval grave slabs are popular tourist sites that shouldn’t be missed.
Desmond Castle was built in 1500 and has a fascinating history that includes Spanish occupation in 1601 and a prison for American soldiers during the American War of Independence. The castle is full of interesting features and includes an International Museum of Wine.
Muckross Friary was founded in the 15th century and has been very well preserved. The tower was added after construction and sits as the only tower to be the same width as the church in Ireland. The monks who lived there were driven out by Cromwellians in 1652.
The 1848 Warhouse stands as the scene of the Young Irelander’s rising 1848 during the Great Famine. This historic site showcases the story of the uprising and political exile of the Young Irelanders in Australia and America during the time of the Great Famine and Europe’s year of revolutions.
A visit to Blarney Castle in Ireland is highly recommended and is the site of the famous kissing stone that one kisses in the hopes of receiving eloquent speech. Built in 1446, it holds an interesting history including the exile of Lord Blarney after the Battle of the Boyne. With its tall towers and beautiful gardens it is a magical place to visit.
The Number 1 Bed & Breakfast Accommodation Website is a joint venture between B&B websites of various countries to create one truly global site.
View out listings of Bed and Breakfasts in Ireland here.Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- What are The Most Important Pages to Include on Your New Website?
- How to Make Money by Creating a Content-Filled Website
- What are the 7 Things to Avoid at All Costs with WordPress Blogging?
- What are the Secrets of Writing Killer Blog Posts?
- What are Common Sense Guidelines for Using WordPress?
- Why Incorporating Hex Bars into Your Strength Training Routine is a Game-Changer
- Enhancing Oral Hygiene: The Power of Electric Toothbrushes
- Healthcare's Digital Transformation Re-eingeneered
- The Rise of Affordable Electric Toothbrushes: Affordable Dental Care at Your Fingertips
- "Vax Vacuum Parts: My Personal Guide to Keeping Your Vacuum Cleaner in Top Shape"
- Understanding Vax Vacuum Parts: A Comprehensive Guide
- "Inside the Machine: A Comprehensive Guide to Vacuum Cleaner Parts and Their Functions"
- Achieve Superior Oral Hygiene with the Oral-B Pro 500 Electric Toothbrush
- The Blossoming Power Of Nature: How Flowers Can Nurture Physical And Mental Wellbeing
- The Key to Establishing a Healthy Sleep Routine for Babies, Toddlers, and Children
- How to Optimize and Speed Up Your WordPress Blog
- How to Plan and Host a Successful Garage Sale: A Quick Guide
- Arborist Reports and Expert Consultation
- Stylish Men’s T-Shirts: Unforgettable Gift Ideas for Every Occasion!
- The Power of 3D Prototypes: Transforming Ideas into Tangible Innovations
- Checklist for the Essential Elements of Good Mental Health
- What Makes WordPress an Incredibly Powerful Blogging System?
- What Are the 10 Scariest Things About WordPress Blogging?
- How is WordPress the Best Choice for a Website?
- How to Find the Perfect Electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums: A Comprehensive Buyer's Guide
- How To Buy An Electric Toothbrush Under $50
- Parenting Influence on the Child’s Mental Health
- Unforgettable Stag Do: Exploring the Best European Destinations
- The Advantages of Epoxy Flooring
- Dimout or screen fabric?