Explore The History of Ireland
- Author Jim Thomas
- Published November 9, 2011
- Word count 492
If you’re visiting Ireland there are many historically significant places you should visit, among them might even be your accommodation if you choose a Bed and Breakfast. The Passage Tomb at Newgrange in County Meath has existed since 6000 B.C. It is considered to be older than the Pyramids and an attracting feature is the ray of light that enters the tomb through a narrow passageway during winter solstice on the shortest day of the year.
The Hill of Tara towers at 500 feet and provides an excellent view of County Meath. It is the most significant religious site in all of Ireland. It is the traditional seat of Kings and holds many monuments as well as the Mound of Hostages.
Trim Castle is a definite must see location if you’re staying at a bed and breakfast in Ireland. Constructed in 1176, it is the biggest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland and bears the marks of the most violent attacks of Anglo-Normans at the same time giving you an insight into the history of the building.
Dating back to 5000 B.C., Ceide Fields is one of the oldest field systems in Ireland. The world-famous Neolithic features make this a distinct location worth visiting.
The Ancient Stone Port of Dun Aungus is an ancient site that sits on top of a 300 foot cliff. The meandering stone walls separate the beautiful and intense landscapes of small fields. The windswept land with the limestone walls shows another side to Ireland.
The Ardfert Cathedral was founded by St. Brendan "The Navigator" in the 6th century. The beautiful architecture is Romanesque and has battlements that were added in the 15th century. The three medieval churches and the medieval grave slabs are popular tourist sites that shouldn’t be missed.
Desmond Castle was built in 1500 and has a fascinating history that includes Spanish occupation in 1601 and a prison for American soldiers during the American War of Independence. The castle is full of interesting features and includes an International Museum of Wine.
Muckross Friary was founded in the 15th century and has been very well preserved. The tower was added after construction and sits as the only tower to be the same width as the church in Ireland. The monks who lived there were driven out by Cromwellians in 1652.
The 1848 Warhouse stands as the scene of the Young Irelander’s rising 1848 during the Great Famine. This historic site showcases the story of the uprising and political exile of the Young Irelanders in Australia and America during the time of the Great Famine and Europe’s year of revolutions.
A visit to Blarney Castle in Ireland is highly recommended and is the site of the famous kissing stone that one kisses in the hopes of receiving eloquent speech. Built in 1446, it holds an interesting history including the exile of Lord Blarney after the Battle of the Boyne. With its tall towers and beautiful gardens it is a magical place to visit.
There are no posted comments.
- Web 3.0: lessons from the past and the possibilities that lie ahead
- Tips To Up Your Web Design And Drive User-Engagement
- Is CSS a necessity for responsive web design?
- HOW AND WHEN CAN I GET AUTHORIZATION TO REMOVE GEESE FROM MY PROPERTY?
- Five Laravel Development Trends That Will Encourage to Hire Laravel Development Company
- EU Travel To The UK Post-Brexit: What To Expect
- How to design a Website to appeal to the 2022's Modern Retail Audience
- Effective Compliance: A twenty point plan for business leaders
- 10 things you should know when it comes to raccoon removal:
- What is a Drone and What are its Advantages?
- KNOW ABOUT THE TRENDS AND INSIGHTS OF WORDPRESS DESIGN IN 2022
- What you need to know about Seagull Control in Peel Region.
- The Authentic Manager
- Your Toddler is Not Your Enemy
- Everything You Need to Know About SPA Framework Vue.js
- Everything You Need To Know About Pigeon Netting
- My Father, My Mother, and More
- Do you think you have a squirrel problem?
- Why Should You Choose Copper or Brass For Your Kitchen Backsplash?
- Top 10 Companies in Need of Transcription Services
- The Best Player Fordsville Never Had
- The Legend of Carr Creek
- Here are 5 Signs that raccoons may be living in your attic.
- Facts and Myths about Seagull control
- What is Wordpress? 8 Advantages of Using WordPress
- Canadian Geese: How to deal with them legally.
- How do you get rid of a Skunk from under your deck?
- 5 Types of Material you can consider for your Product Packaging
- What is the job of a Transcriptionist?
- 5 Signs You Need to Call a Plumber