What Is Search Engine Optimization? An Introduction
- Author Dawson Gao
- Published February 24, 2012
- Word count 441
Any business who’s serious about establishing a strong web presence have to maximise the traffic and exposure from search engines because they are capable of driving millions of potential customers to a business. Search engine optimisation (SEO) refers to the methods and techniques that can improve a website’s ranking (or visibility) on search engine results. There is a whole industry devoted to SEO.
To understand search engine optimisation, one must first understand how search engines compile their results.
How do search engines generate search results
Search engine companies have created computer programs that robotically scan the internet and gather information on all the websites they find. These computer programs or ‘bots’ are called spiders because their job is to ‘crawl’ the ‘web’. These ‘crawlers’ download information from each website, which are then stored in the search engine’s database.
When someone carries out a search, the search engine compares the search keyword(s) against the information in their database. In a fraction of a second, search engine’s powerful super computers search through billions of websites in their database and pick out a list that match the user’s criteria. Websites that are deemed most relevant are displayed at the top of the search results.
Each search engine has its own unique proprietary formula to determine relevance and the exact formulas are usually closely guarded trade secrets. It is said Google’s formula contains over 200 variables. Although the exact formulas are unknown, there are a number of variables that are known to influence a website’s search results ranking.
Common SEO methods
SEO companies like to divide different techniques into two broad categories: onsite SEO and offsite SEO.
Onsite SEO refers to modifications a webmaster can do to their own website to improve its search results ranking such as search engine friendly URL, effective meta tags, internal links and sitemap.
The most talked about and widely emphasised offsite SEO variable is link popularity. Virtually all SEO companies provide some form of link popularity service. Link popularity refers to the quantity and quality of a website’s back links. Quality can be affected by a number of factors: whether the originating website is in the same sector, whether the link has relevant anchor text, the page rank score (PR) or link popularity of the originating website and the link’s visibility.
Webmaster should always try to get the best quality links and get as many of them as possible. Quantity is key but sometimes quality can be more important. For example a link coming from a highly relevant website with PR5 score could be worth more than ten PR0 links.
Dawson Gao is a member of the administrative team at lacartes.com - an online business platform designed to help businesses gain direct exposure to high quality search engine traffic and reach new customers.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Why Is WordPress Bad?
- How Brand Image can Help Improve SEO
- Why do you need SEO?
- Stay Competitive with Trending SEO Aspects
- SEO Ranking Factors 2020
- History of SEO
- How Can You Integrate SEO and PPC in Your Marketing Strategies?
- Foolproof Ways to Grow Your Instagram Followers in 2020 (and Beyond)
- Effective Ways to Build High-quality DoFollow Backlinks
- Tips to Help Your Website Generate More Leads
- Helpful Tips to Bulletproof Your SEO Strategy
- Benefits of optimizing your website for local SEO
- Easy Steps in Which CRO Audit is performed
- Clipping Path: The Technique to Make Your Picture Look Better
- Avail Affordable SEO Service for Your Business.
- Web Development Outsourcing
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Business Networking
- Common SEO Services Provided by an SEO Agency
- BOOST Your Website Ranking Today
- Why Is SEO So Important for Small Businesses?
- Five SEO Myths that Business Companies Need to Forget About
- What is SEO and why do you need it?
- A Guide to Hiring an SEO Provider
- Major Link Building Trends to Focus on 2019
- Try These On-Page SEO Techniques for WordPress Websites
- SEO Trends in 2019
- Crowd Marketing – How to Promote Your Business
- How to Secure the Proper SEO Keywords
- 5 Ways From Semalt On How To Take Control Of Your Content Marketing
- 3 SEO Pitfalls Service-Based Businesses Should Avoid