Things to Check and Bring With You on a Bike Tour
- Author Liz Jenkins
- Published April 10, 2012
- Word count 529
If you are anything like me then you will probably go on a holiday such as a bike tour only to find that you have forgotten something vital once you have already landed in your destination country.
Once you are they of course there is not much you can do about it, so it is always a good idea to have a checklist of two main areas;
Thing you need to do before going on the tour.
Items that you should bring with you on the tour.
All of these are not completely vital but I have included them anyway as I think they are quite useful.
Things You Should Do
Look below for the main thing you should do before leaving for the holiday.
Check Your Bicycle
Do a complete checkup of your bike including checking the tire pressure, the brakes, all the lights etc.
Check you have a working pump and tire repair kit.
I’m often surprised when I go on a cycling tour with my friends and find they don’t do this and they usually end up asking to borrow my kit.
Check the chain is well oiled and at the correct pull.
Check Your Vaccines
Different countries require different vaccines. So talk to your medical practitioner or check the Internet to find out which vaccines you need to take for that country.
Learn About the Culture
This is very much optional but I think you owe it to the people of the country that you are visiting to at least learn something about their culture and language.
And ironically this bit of work will usually enhance your cycling holiday as you will be able to interact with the local people in a much closer way.
Items You Should Bring
Here is a list of what I think are the important items you should bring on your tour.
This should go without saying but I have unfortunately seen people not wear their safety helmet when going on their tour.
Even if the country does not have a law making your wear a helmet, just think about how easy it is to have an accident and how will your head injury be without any form of protection?
Water and Wind Proof Clothing
I know, you are visiting some wonderfully hot country and it never rains there, right?
Well it doesn’t matter!
Even the hottest country can have freak weather conditions which make your riding experience very uncomfortable indeed.
Modern water and wind proof clothing is extremely light now and can be folded into a very small space.
As well as your main bike lamps, always bring a backup light source. I personally like to bring an all in one torch, radio and alarm. You can find various types of these and I recommend the ones which you can power via solar and wind up.
Having a compass is not only for off road riding but can also help with on road navigation.
I have saved myself from making a silly wrong move quite often by checking my compass direction and realizing I should have turned left instead of right!
I often go on bike tours and can recommend Pedaltours who are a cycling touring company based in New Zealand.
To learn more about their NZ tours you can take a look at http://www.pedaltours.co.nz/new-zealand-cycle-tours to see all of the locations that they cover in New Zealand.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Strange Things may Surprise you about North Korea
- Annapurna Base Camp Trek
- Why Compare Cheap Airport Parking Valet Amenities for Vehicle Safety
- Everest base camp trek guide
- How to prepare for Annapurna base camp trek
- Manaslu Larke La pass Trekking
- 10 Wine Tasting Tips and Tricks for Napa Valley
- 6 Best National Parks In The Usa To Visit In Spring
- Migrating to Russia - All you need to know
- Russia travel tips - is it safe to travel to russia ?
- Things to Do in Dalat at Night
- The Best Nightlife Activities in Mui Ne
- Places to Visit at Night in Phu Quoc, Vietnam
- Everest Base Camp Trek Via Gokyo Lake
- Nightlife Destinations in Hai Phong Vietnam
- Three Reasons You'll Want to Fly With Just a Carry-On Bag
- How to travel with a pet to Vietnam
- 4 Tips When Choosing a Carry-on Bag
- Kickstart Your Paragliding Career With These Quick Tips
- 5 Places for Great Third Wave Coffee in Barcelona
- Flying by private jet is not an indulgence, reserved for of the social elite
- Top 10 Essentials for an Enjoyable Motorcycle Camping Trip
- The Best Activities for Bristol Stag Parties
- Apply for India tourist visa?
- 8 Tips to be a savvy dental tourist and enjoy your dental vacation in Vietnam
- Tips for a Safe and Trouble Free Motorcycle Camping Trip
- Top ten hen party destinations
- Are Boating Holidays the Best Holidays?
- Travel Rewards Roundup: August 2019
- Benefits of Traveling by Train