Small Fleet Vehicles Not Always the Best Option
- Author Greg Donelson
- Published July 22, 2013
- Word count 489
Rising gas prices are a source of concern for fleet managers.
When the price for a barrel of oil spikes, some managers scramble to downsize their fleet with smaller more fuel efficient options. At face value, this makes sense. Smaller vehicles tend to get better gas mileage.
However, this type of kneejerk decision making can hurt your business in the long run. Fleet managers can sometimes get blinded by the term "fuel efficient."
It’s important to consider how your company uses fleet vehicles. Going from a six-cylinder to a four-cylinder engine may be good for gas mileage, but how does it affect your business operations? Will it impact your company’s ability to successfully complete responsibilities to customers and clients?
Take this example – a fleet manager for a construction company decides to purchase smaller less powerful vehicles because of high gas prices. While the vehicles save on fuel, the maintenance budget skyrockets because the vehicles are being pushed beyond their limits.
The key is to discuss your business operations with a fleet vehicle expert. Often times this might be a dealership, which specializes in commercial vehicle sales. They can help you find the right options that can help cut fuel costs without sacrificing on performance.
In fact, purchasing high-performing fuel efficient vehicles is only part of the solution. To control fuel costs, you also need to take a multi-faceted approach. This might include:
Educating drivers on driving and vehicle maintenance
Closely monitoring fuel usage and idling
Installing GPS technology to improve driving routes
Upgrading fleet management software to improve productivity
Reducing vehicle cargo weight
The point is that there isn’t a single, cure-all solution for containing fleet costs because of rising fuel prices. Fleet managers have been waging this war for more than a decade now.
What you need to understand is that it’s usually better to thoroughly review your situation and identify several solutions to help cut costs. Working with an outside expert can help you identify the right vehicles as well as the right options to help you reduce fuel costs.
When shopping for fuel efficient fleet vehicles, look for ones that offer impressive fuel economy, but do not sacrifice on power and torque. In fact, some truck manufacturers have significantly improved vehicle aerodynamics and engine efficiency to provide better fuel efficiency.
Vehicle manufacturers are continually developing new technologies to improve fuel efficiency without sacrificing performance. Some of the things you might see in high performance fleet vehicles down the road to improve fuel efficiency might include:
Auto start/stop technology to reduce idling
Active grille and wheel shutters for aerodynamics
Drop-down front wind spoilers to improve underbody airflow
Power running boards that tuck up against vehicle for better aerodynamics
While gas prices continue to fluctuate, it’s good to know that there are plenty of options to help you solve the problem. Just remember, there isn’t a cure-all solution to the problem.
This article was written by Greg Donelson, a commercial sales director for Mullinax Ford. Greg specializes in commercial truck sales in Florida. Mullinax Ford has dealerships near Daytona Beach, Kissimmee, Orlando and West Palm Beach.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- How to trade in my car with payments left on the loan?
- Want to Buy a Quality Car? just in a used car
- Which 2019 car do women prefer? According to the Women’s World Car of the Year it’s the Mazda 3.
- Everything you need to know about Car Key Programmers
- What are the Subaru WRX models?
- What Is Fuel Injector Cleaner ?
- How To Remove Overspray From Glass Easily?
- How to Remove Auto Paint Overspray Easily & Effectively?
- 8 Auspicious Car Plate Numbers That Will Bring You Prosperity in 2020
- 4 Things that Affect Your Fuel Economy of Your Car
- Get the Service of Paint Overspray Removal On Car from Specialist Overspray Removal Cleaners
- How to Remove Overspray From Car?
- Remove overspray from plastic with the help of skilled professionals of JLN
- Professionals know how to Remove Overspray From Car Paint, and They know it Best
- Reasons to Rent a Car in Dubai
- Until Recently, We Never Understood The Dangers Of The Internal Combustion Engine
- Charging Times Can Be A Problem For Electric Vehicles
- How To Evaluate A Used Car's Condition
- Aston Martin
- Budgeting Tips for Buying a Car
- The complete guide to buying and selling cars in Dubai
- Best Future Jobs You Should Look Forward To In Automotive Industry
- Historic Racing Crashes That Revolutionised Car Safety
- How Really does Head Up Display Work?
- How to Prevent Car Sickness in Your Mazda MX-5
- How To Use Tire Inflator ?
- What is the Safest Colour for Your Subaru XV?
- A Brief 2018 Mazda 2 Sedan Review
- A Brief 2019 Mazda CX-3 Review
- 3 Tips for the Best Used Carsales: Perth Wa Dealer Advice