Important considerations when planning to remodel your basement
- Author Steve Morris
- Published January 10, 2015
- Word count 551
Remodeling your basement may sound so easy, but you need to figure in several factors before you actually undertaker. Note that the basement is one of the most important parts to any house, and health issues are critical whenever you think of using your basement for whatever purpose.
This article highlights six of the most important considerations you need to make with regards to this
All fuel dependent house appliances require proper ventilation. As much as the appliances are usually safe, conditions such as back drafting and spillage are known to cause serious pollution in your house. In most homes, the basement is used to store these appliances which include clothes dryer, water heater and furnace. If you keep such appliances in your basement and are planning to remodel it so as to add some living space to your house then provide adequate ventilation for the appliances.
As much as proper aeration is usually available in all parts of your living rooms, you should pay special attention to basement ventilation. The basement usually has high humidity level than other parts of the house, something that makes it damp than living rooms. Ensure you have a good air supply and controlled moisture level by installing a reliable mechanical ventilation system.
Moisture is one of the worst enemies for any basement because minute water problems usually end in disasters, if not controlled properly in time. There are high chances of termites, toxic mold, mildew and dry rot resulting over time if you do not address wet basement in time. The solution may be as easy as re-grading the yards slope or re-routing the down spot. It good to ensure all cracks and seams are properly sealed in time. If you plan on remodeling your basement always seek services of a professional waterproofing company.
Despite the fact that this gas cannot be easily noticed due to its colorless and odorless nature, it is highly lethal to humans. It has been ranked among the top causes of cancer in humans by health institutions. The only sure way to ensure you are not exposed to the gas is to buy a cheap and easy to use home test at a department store or local hardware. If you realize its presence the best remedy is use of a radon mitigation system. Such systems need installation prior to remodeling since they cut into your basement’s floor.
Laying a carpet on your basement is not advisable unless you find a way of dealing with the mold that normally grows underneath because of the cold floor. There are high chances that the moisture that will condense between your concrete floor and the carpet insulation will grow mold, thus you will need to from time to time check for growth of mold and take appropriate measures.
Older windows encourage loss of energy and inflow of moisture into the basement and other parts of your house. Consider installing new windows as this will not only save money, but also add to the brightness of your basement and other rooms. If you need to add a bedroom to your basement remodel, you need to check the safety regulations in your area, and seek professional services to improve the conditions in your basement before moving in.
There are no posted comments.
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home
- Tips for choosing good cheap removalists interstate Melbourne
- Why Choose Resin For Your Driveway?
- Essential Things to Note When Searching for Concrete Restoration Services in Palm Beach
- How LED Lights Benefit Senior Citizens’ Health
- How to move your house
- What Is a Registered Electrician and Do I Need One?
- Why Sealants and Adhesives are Important Correctional Resources?
- Make A New Year Resolution To Refit Your Kitchen, And Make Certain You Do It
- Making Every House a Home
- Should I Use Liquid Screed For My Next Floor Installation?