Knowledge Of Modifying A Car's Suspension System
- Author Hanna Erica
- Published September 4, 2015
- Word count 586
A car's suspension system is very complex, with the parts inextricably connected to each other. Regardless of a car's shape and size, just the 4 tires touch the ground, and they undertake the weight of the car itself as well as the people and things the car carries. Let's assume a vehicle (front-engine, front-wheel drive) has a total weight of 1,000 kg. When static, the front and rear tire on each side bears 300 kg and 200 kg respectively, while the weight load has some subtle changes when the car gets started. The dynamic inertia will cause a weight transfer to the car, no matter it is speeding up, slowing down or steering, thus resulting in rapid bear load growth of some individual tires. For example, if there's an emergency brake on the ground, the weight that is originally borne by the rear tires would instantly transfer to the front tires. That is to say, the two former tires, which only bear 600 kg in total, will now undertake perhaps more than 800 kg. What's more, if the car radically turns right when downgrading at a high speed while the driver suddenly loses the throttle, the weight load of the right rear tire would become zero because the car is now up in the air! At this time, weight load of the left front tire would reach as much as 800 kg, while the left rear tire and right front tire will take 80 kg and 120 kg respectively. This phenomenon of severe imbalance would let the left front tire slip because of the heavy load, thus losing the ability of steering. In this situation, if the driver depresses the brake in a hurry, more weight would transfer to the front. As a result, the left rear tier has not enough down force because of little weight load, so the frictional force is not enough to contend with the left lateral force generated by the right bend, thus generating a left traverse.
The above is a simplified example, but the basic principle is perhaps clear, and we can come to a conclusion that if we could reduce the weight transfer in a movement, the limit of slip can then be increased, thus resulting in a substantial improvement in the overall handling. And now I'd like to introduce several methods to reduce the weight transfer.
The first way is to reduce the car's weight. Once the gross weight is less, the transferred weight is therefore reduced. That is to say, weight load of the tires under the same condition is less, so the limit will certainly increase. Please remember to reduce the useless stuff in the car, especially in the trunk, because they will follow the car's dynamic inertia to transfer, thus affecting the stability.
The second way is to lower the vehicle's center of gravity, because the lower the center of gravity is, the less the car swings, meaning the less of weight transferred at the same time. The easiest way to lower a car's center of gravity is to decrease the height of the vehicle. But do not casually cut the original springs to achieve your goal as this would cause some side effects.
The third way is to strengthen a car's ability of anti-heeling (roll stiffness), which requires strengthening the body and suspension system to suppress sway amplitude of the car. The most common way of this kind of modification is to install high-strength springs and shock absorbers, and equip the car with front and rear tower bars, as well as anti-roll bars.
Demotor Performance Inc. is a fast growing online racing parts provider in the United States. We offer high quality exhaust headers, hood hinges, ignitions, suspensions and steering systems. We know how to find suitable parts for your motor at very good prices.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- How to trade in my car with payments left on the loan?
- Want to Buy a Quality Car? just in a used car
- Which 2019 car do women prefer? According to the Women’s World Car of the Year it’s the Mazda 3.
- Everything you need to know about Car Key Programmers
- What are the Subaru WRX models?
- What Is Fuel Injector Cleaner ?
- How To Remove Overspray From Glass Easily?
- How to Remove Auto Paint Overspray Easily & Effectively?
- 8 Auspicious Car Plate Numbers That Will Bring You Prosperity in 2020
- 4 Things that Affect Your Fuel Economy of Your Car
- Get the Service of Paint Overspray Removal On Car from Specialist Overspray Removal Cleaners
- How to Remove Overspray From Car?
- Remove overspray from plastic with the help of skilled professionals of JLN
- Professionals know how to Remove Overspray From Car Paint, and They know it Best
- Reasons to Rent a Car in Dubai
- Until Recently, We Never Understood The Dangers Of The Internal Combustion Engine
- Charging Times Can Be A Problem For Electric Vehicles
- How To Evaluate A Used Car's Condition
- Aston Martin
- Budgeting Tips for Buying a Car
- The complete guide to buying and selling cars in Dubai
- Best Future Jobs You Should Look Forward To In Automotive Industry
- Historic Racing Crashes That Revolutionised Car Safety
- How Really does Head Up Display Work?
- How to Prevent Car Sickness in Your Mazda MX-5
- How To Use Tire Inflator ?
- What is the Safest Colour for Your Subaru XV?
- A Brief 2018 Mazda 2 Sedan Review
- A Brief 2019 Mazda CX-3 Review
- 3 Tips for the Best Used Carsales: Perth Wa Dealer Advice