Negative SEO and How You Can Prevent It
- Author Andrew Smallwood
- Published December 15, 2015
- Word count 616
Negative Search Engine Optimization On The Rise
When you look at the trends for search engine optimization, especially when searching for the keywords "SEO 2015" in one of the major search engines like Google, Bing or Yahoo, you will see more and more articles related to negative SEO. What exactly is negative in terms of search engine optimization? That’s a good question, and the answer may shock you. The weird thing about this is that many organizations are starting to jump into this, because it’s effective, at least for a short time. The secret nature of search engines and their algorithms has led many people to start trying to "game" the system, and this latest form is proving to be not only controversial, but also effective. Here are a few things that you should know about this issue.
Flat Out Lies
First and foremost, the majority of the negative SEO options are usually lies, these are the easy ones to spot. Company A will use marketing collateral that call out their competition in a negative light. Or they may use disinformation to confuse customers and clients. For instance, let’s say a skate shop wants to rank number one in their niche. They can’t because another company has good marketing and has been around for some time. Instead of competing with them straight on, they’ll go on a campaign of putting up negative keywords, anti-competition articles, reviews and more. By diminishing the credibility of the competitor, skate shop "A" will get to a higher authority module of search engine. These are usually lies. It’s an attack on reputation, but it seems effective in many niches. These are just a few of the many examples of negative SEO that can harm or damage a company. Some are pretty blatant and some can be very difficult to find. That's when you would need to seek the help of a professional, someone who is well-versed in google analytics.
The Long Term Failure
Even though negativity can get short term success, search engines are catching on. That means that if you’re caught posting negative SEO elements, or if your company is tied to campaigns that are based on lies, SERP (search engine rankings page) listings will get dumped out. That means that if you’re company "A" as mentioned above, you’ll be dead last in the rankings if listed at all. There have been some companies that went on negative reputation campaigns, only to get completely thrown out of search engine listings. That's known as "banned for life" and it does happen.
A Better Option
Not every business today is meant to compete with the largest companies in the world. If you’re starting a book store, for instance, you’re not competing against Amazon.com straight up. You can’t. To offset that, you’ll need to look into what is known as "White Hat" SEO. Focus on local community, and niche competitive phrases so that when people in your area look for "books", they find you and patronize your business. Simply put, you don’t want to go with any of the negative SEO options. Stick with what works, and don’t try to "game" the system right now. The long term optimization cycle will give you a leg up in nearly any niche. Also, if you find there is a negative search engine optimization campaign being run against your company and you can definitively identify the culprit, report that company to Google or the other big name search engines. And just remember, the best defense is a good offense, so make sure to keep your positive search engine optimization campaigns strong.
Serial Entrepreneur, Strategist, Small Business Consultant, Technical Political Consultant, Web Developer and Designer, SEO Addict, 400+ Apps On Phone (and it's an issue), but Most Importantly Father of One (soon to be two!) and Husband to the Best Family A Guy Could Have.
Chief Consultant, Smallwood Consulting LLC
CEO, Precision Advertisementshttp://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Why Backlink Checker Tool is Very Important for Digital Marketer?
- Why Is WordPress Bad?
- How Brand Image can Help Improve SEO
- Why do you need SEO?
- Stay Competitive with Trending SEO Aspects
- SEO Ranking Factors 2020
- History of SEO
- How Can You Integrate SEO and PPC in Your Marketing Strategies?
- Foolproof Ways to Grow Your Instagram Followers in 2020 (and Beyond)
- Effective Ways to Build High-quality DoFollow Backlinks
- Tips to Help Your Website Generate More Leads
- Helpful Tips to Bulletproof Your SEO Strategy
- Benefits of optimizing your website for local SEO
- Easy Steps in Which CRO Audit is performed
- Clipping Path: The Technique to Make Your Picture Look Better
- Avail Affordable SEO Service for Your Business.
- Web Development Outsourcing
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Business Networking
- Common SEO Services Provided by an SEO Agency
- BOOST Your Website Ranking Today
- Why Is SEO So Important for Small Businesses?
- Five SEO Myths that Business Companies Need to Forget About
- What is SEO and why do you need it?
- A Guide to Hiring an SEO Provider
- Major Link Building Trends to Focus on 2019
- Try These On-Page SEO Techniques for WordPress Websites
- SEO Trends in 2019
- Crowd Marketing – How to Promote Your Business
- How to Secure the Proper SEO Keywords
- 5 Ways From Semalt On How To Take Control Of Your Content Marketing