Creating a Feature Wall in Your Home
- Author Diane Seifert
- Published July 30, 2017
- Word count 687
With all the many ways we can add appeal and interest to a room, creating a feature wall is probably one of the more attractive options. Simply choose a wall that will hold the heaviest piece of furniture such as your sofa or bed and make it stand out. Browse the Internet or use your great imagination to change the look and feel of your room. If there is already a great feature in the room such as a fireplace, add some drama to that wall, or choose the opposite wall if you wish. A feature wall is usually the wall that visitors will see the moment they enter. It should completely draw their attention.
There are lots of ways to do this. Painting it a bolder, contrasting color than you paint the other walls of the room is just one way to make a bold statement. There are lots of painting techniques that can be used as well, such as ragging, color washing, combing, stamping, sponging on, and sponging off. I used a large stencil design in my bedroom to create a feature wall behind my bed and it looks phenomenal.
Wallpaper is another great option and you can find some really beautiful patterns. If you do decide on wall paper make sure you buy strippable paper, it will make things easier if you decide you want to take it down at some point in the future. Always use a wallpaper primer before you apply the paper. Don't buy a pattern that will make it harder for you to incorporate your existing room colors, furniture, and accessories. You could divide the wall up behind a bed by putting up a wall treatment of some kind directly behind the wall and use wood trim pieces along the edges. This will really add drama and appeal to the room. If you're someone who changes your furniture around, this would not be a good idea.
Wood flooring planks hung horizontally make for an interesting and attractive look as well. You could also find some old door panels and repaint them or use them as is for a rustic look. Shutter doors work great too. Simply hang them side by side. I've also seen people use wood planks that are stained and hung in various heights side by side. You could even finish them in different shades of stain finishes. Bead board and shiplap are some more great wood options for your walls.
Faux brick or rock wall designs are great for bringing in the outdoors. Although they are usually used for the fireplace, they are becoming a wonderful addition for making a statement in any room. Many people use them for bar or recreation areas in their homes but they would make for a really nice rustic feature wall as well in a living room, kitchen, or family room.
If your room is small, use various size mirrors, or one very large mirror to make the room look larger. These mirrors can be yard sale finds or store bought, and can make for some real fun when you're searching for your ideal pieces. Don't get too hung up on finishes. You can mix and match different frame finishes to make the look a lot more interesting. You could also have mirrors made to fit the entire wall if you wish. A collage of family photos or art work can add appeal and interest to a large wall as well.
If you're an avid reader and like to actually hold a printed book in your hand and keep it afterward, think about a wall of book cases. They are great for displaying your nick knacks and family pictures and add a great amount of extra space for your collections.
It's all a matter of taste. Just remember that the feature wall should contain colors or items that really stand out and draw the attention of visitors as soon as they enter the room. Have fun with your ideas and you'll find that creating a feature wall in your rooms can be anything from dramatic, to calming, depending on your choices.
The author of this article, Diane, has enjoyed the world of decorating since she was a child and has recently launched her new website http://www.dmsindustrialfurniture.com. She hopes to find, and offer, beautiful industrial style pieces that her customers will love. Recently retired, she hopes now to find enjoyment in something she is passionate about. She hopes you will visit her in her new endeavor and find your own joy in life.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home
- Tips for choosing good cheap removalists interstate Melbourne
- Why Choose Resin For Your Driveway?
- Essential Things to Note When Searching for Concrete Restoration Services in Palm Beach
- How LED Lights Benefit Senior Citizens’ Health
- How to move your house
- What Is a Registered Electrician and Do I Need One?
- Why Sealants and Adhesives are Important Correctional Resources?
- Make A New Year Resolution To Refit Your Kitchen, And Make Certain You Do It
- Making Every House a Home
- Should I Use Liquid Screed For My Next Floor Installation?