7 Tips to Prevent Water Heater Repairs
- Author Janet Slagells
- Published September 14, 2017
- Word count 448
There’s nothing more frustrating than discovering – usually in the midst of showering – that the water heater is no longer working. Sometimes it is discovered when you turn on the faucet and only get cold water and other times it can be discovered because of an unpleasant smell. Either way, dealing with a lack of hot water is not much fun!
But even more discouraging than the lack of hot water, is knowing that replacing the water heater is likely to be costly – whether it is the entire tank, or just having repair work done. Consequently, it is important to know some basic steps to take to keep water hear repairs at a minimum. Let’s get started:
Preventing Water Heater Repairs
Be sure that your water heater’s temperature is not set any higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Not only will having it higher mean that your utility bill will be more expensive, but making it worker harder means that there is more wear and tear on the various parts.
At least twice a year, check the pressure relief valve to make sure it is not corroded. Catching leaks or corrosion early means less chance of future problems.
Schedule a maintenance visit with a plumber at least once a year to make sure all the parts and pieces are working properly.
Check to see that there is plenty of ventilation – especially if you have a gas heater! If the vents are not properly working your home can be invaded by toxic fumes.
Twice a year, take time to drain the water heater to remove any sediment. If sediment is allowed to build up it can result in an assortment of problems. You can drain the tank by first placing a 5-gallon bucket below the drain valve, then turning the valve counter-clockwise to release a few gallons of water into the bucket. Then close the valve and proceed as usual.
Test the temperature and pressure valve by lifting up the lever part way and then letting it snap back into place. You should hear a gurgling sound that indicates that there was some water released into the drain pan. If you don’t hear anything, then it is time to replace the valve.
If you have a gas water heater, make time at least once a quarter to ensure the pilot light is lit, and to remove any soot build up.
These tips are only of use if you apply them So, don ‘t wait until the current water heater needs to be repaired to implement them – start today to get the longest lifespan possible from your home water heater. Still have questions, talk to a local plumber today
Many websites provide additional information on the topic of water heater repairs. One such site worth visiting is http://www.allwaysdrains.com
Janet Slagell independently authors articles for WebDrafter, Inc. for search engine marketing. The views and opinions expressed in this article are those solely of the author, and not of any other person, company or organization. No guarantee or warranty, express or implied, is made regarding the accuracy, fitness, or use of the content herein.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home
- Tips for choosing good cheap removalists interstate Melbourne
- Why Choose Resin For Your Driveway?
- Essential Things to Note When Searching for Concrete Restoration Services in Palm Beach
- How LED Lights Benefit Senior Citizens’ Health
- How to move your house
- What Is a Registered Electrician and Do I Need One?
- Why Sealants and Adhesives are Important Correctional Resources?
- Make A New Year Resolution To Refit Your Kitchen, And Make Certain You Do It
- Making Every House a Home
- Should I Use Liquid Screed For My Next Floor Installation?