Cherished Change Quilts
- Author Shelly Livengood
- Published October 19, 2017
- Word count 524
Quilting inspires legacy. Throughout generations this art has undergone many changes, but all create lasting beauty. By hand, quilting began. Although today an overwhelming, yet accessible number of gadgets exist which aid in the complicated process. Interestingly, quilting has been a part of almost every culture. Beginning solely for warmth, quilts now display decorative designs. Painted on plywood, the barn quilt is a modern design of the age-old practice. Quilts are cherished and passed down for generations, creating a lifelong legacy for its maker.
For thousands of years, quilting was done by hand. Nearly every culture has had some form of this difficult yet exquisite art. Back in the old days, between demanding chores women worked countless hours with needle and thread and provided for their families. Beginning merely for practical warmth, quilts now display difficult decorative designs. While stitching quilts by hand seems old-fashioned, it is a practice which provides a sense of accomplishment as well as self-sufficiency. Some techniques are easier done by hand. When sewing a curved pattern, it is better and more accurately done without a machine. Hand-made quilts have been cherished and passed down for generations, however this skill may not last.
Sewing machines have been used for quilting since they were first invented in 1850. Although originally scorned and looked down on as the cruel step-sister of the art, quilters have now accepted the machine because of its speed and amazing ability to deal with layers. Currently, we now see many attractive and versatile quilts that have been created by machines. In today’s culture, an overwhelming supply of helpful quilting tools exist such as the internet and cutting aids. Computers make the art popular. Designing digital patterns, quilters use the computer to hone and perfect their creativity. Technology, which has largely expanded the technique, began first with the sewing machine.
Despite many types of quilts, the creative and beautiful barn quilt provides an interesting take on the age-old art. Displaying a quilted pattern painted on plywood, the design is mounted to the side of a barn, garage, or where ever it can fit. Quilt trails consist of multiple barn quilts in a neighborhood and in the country which create unique scenic routes. While the first barn quilt was recently made in 2001 for a community celebration in Ohio, the first trail started when Donna Sue Groves built and designed a barn quilt to honor her quilting mother. Groves placed it near the recently made community quilt and the trails continued to expand. Currently 43 states contain quilt trails, while they sustain ongoing growth throughout the U.S. Many quilting varieties exist, though none are quite as unique as the barn quilt.
The beautiful art of quilting has undergone many alterations, while it is unceasingly passed down from generation to generation. Quilting began by hand. By now however, multiple devices exist which aid in the procedure. Since its warm beginnings, charming and comfortable quilts are also used for decoration. Painted designs on plywood, barn quilts are displayed and enjoyed for everyone outdoors. Essentially, quilting has, and will continue to change, however its many forms will be cherished for years to come.
Shelly Livengood is interested in all types of bedding including comforters, pillows, quilts, duvets, bedding sets, blankets, throws and linen as well as their variety of colors, styles and materials. She loves the elegant as well as the casual and unique. She is also interested in what enhances pleasant and restful sleep experiences. She currently runs a website selling high quality and affordable bedding. Visit their site at http://www.bedsweetbuys.comArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- A Great Collection of Children's Bronze Sculptures | NIFAO.COM
- Stunning stainless steel tiles for backsplash
- The unique beauty of backsplash tiles
- Furniture Ideas for Small Space
- Exquisite and Custom Interior Design With a Professional Company
- How to arrange your bathroom?
- 3 Things I Love About Cabin Decor
- Sophisticated Cabin Decor Ideas
- Home Décor and Functional Utilization Ideas with Hallway Benches
- Guest Bedroom Decoration Ideas
- A Rug Adds a Touch of Beauty to Your Room
- Five Design Ideas For Your Living Room
- Top 10 Bohemian Décor Ideas
- Why Having A Great Office Interior Design Matters
- How to Feminize Your Cabin Decor
- The Lazy Man’s Guide to Cabin Decor
- Guaranteed No Stress Cabin Decor
- Enhance your night's sleep: Tips on the 8 best fabrics for duvet covers
- Hottest Wedding Trends for 2019
- Industrial Decor Style - 5 Ways to Incorporate This Style in Your Home
- 7 Types of Cabin Styles and Themes
- What Colors Do I Use in My Cabin Home?
- Things To Consider When Choosing School Stage Curtains
- A Short Guide to Theatre Curtains and Drapes
- How to Make Your House a Cabin, Even If It Isn’t
- 3 Things I Hate About Cabin Decor
- Tips for Choosing Dining Chairs Online
- Styling Designer Homewares
- How to Create a Great Guest Bedroom in Your Cabin Home
- How to Decorate Your Cabin to Impress your Guests