How to Avoid Roofing Scams
- Author Charles Anderson
- Published May 5, 2018
- Word count 519
Roofing and home improvement scams are becoming more common.
It seems like every year I hear several stories from our customers who have been scammed out of
their hard-earned cash by some unsavory person masquerading as a roofing contractor.
To the trained professional these scams are usually obvious. But, what can the average home or business owner
do to avoid common roofing and home improvement scams? Keep reading.
Roofing scams are usually ran by con-artist looking to make a quick buck before they disappear back into
the shadows from which they came. A few questions and a little research can expose these bottom-feeders
for what they are.
Hire a local contractor. Many scams are perpetrated by out of state fake roofing contractors.
Avoid door to door salesman. Respectable roofing contractors no longer employ door to door
Research roofing or home improvement contractors before calling them. Review their website,
visit their Better Business Bureau page, and read reviews.
Ensure that any contractor you are going to call has a physical local address.
Be aware of fake sales and gimmicks. Offering extreme discounts such 50% off or giving away
a cheap tablet or television are methods used by predator companies to get their foot in the door.
Once in your home or business they use high pressure sales tactics to get you to sign a contract.
The only way a 50% discount can be given on a roofing project is if the original price is
extremely inflated. If you want a new television you can use the money you save by hiring
a legitimate roofing contractor to purchase a much better-quality piece of electronic bliss.
Avoid money down scams. Reputable roofing contractors do not ask for money in advance of work
commencing. A strong, respectable roofing contractor will collect payment only after
the project is complete.
Be careful about in-house financing. In-house financing is often the most expensive due
to high interest rates and added fees. You are much better off acquiring financing
from your bank or financing specialist. Always look for the best possible interest rates and terms
for your financial situation.
Once you have identified a few good contractors you need to prepare for and schedule estimates.
Most roofing contractors will provide free inspections and estimates. This is common practice!
To prepare for your estimate you should write down questions that are important to you to ask the
contractor. If you've done your research you can focus on your desires and expectations. The one thing you
should always ask for is proof of insurance. Here are some other questions you may want to ask:
When will you be able to complete the project?
How long will the project take to complete once started?
Will you keep my property clean throughout the process?
Do you offer a warranty?
Can you provide a list of references?
By just researching and asking a few pointed questions you can avoid the scams that are running rampant in
the roofing and home improvement industry. I hope this helps you on your quest to avoid scams in your pursuit
of hiring a roofing contractor.
There are no posted comments.
- Tips for house removals
- Tips and tricks from ZDT Kitchen Remodeling for a smooth home renovation
- Locksmith 4 U
- Tips For Painting Or Staining Your Patio Deck
- Removing Oil Out Of Carpet
- Why pay for home development when you may do it yourself?
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home
- Tips for choosing good cheap removalists interstate Melbourne
- Why Choose Resin For Your Driveway?
- Essential Things to Note When Searching for Concrete Restoration Services in Palm Beach
- How LED Lights Benefit Senior Citizens’ Health