Pet Friendly Interior Design
- Author Niki Schäfer
- Published June 10, 2019
- Word count 588
07 May Pet friendly interior design
Posted at 19:07h in Design, Interior Design, Pets by Niki Schafer Share
Do you design your home around your pets?
This isn’t about who rules the roost in your home, it’s not a matter of princess pooches or your miniature king of the jungle. It’s an approach that looks at all members of the family – including those with four legs (or scales).
Most of my clients have animals. Fortunately, I’m happy to chat with them while their humans make me a cup of tea prior to our consultations. They don’t give much away but I think an animal owner appreciates this.
How dirty or smelly are your pets?
Let’s get to the nub of the matter. Some dogs trail in mud, some smell damp for hours after they’ve rolled in that muddy puddle, some are partial to fox poo and of course, cats are fond of bringing their humans gifts – in the form of dead birds. As designers, we have to cater to ALL our clients’ needs.
Where do you wash your dog? Does your cat litter sit in the middle of the room or in a special spot? How often do you clean out the fish tank? Do the guinea pig, hamster, or rabbits live in the playroom, the kids’ bedrooms or the garage?
I’m sure you have your own personal answer to these questions and that is the one we want to work with. We want to help you live with your animals in a way that pleases you. As designers, we want that to be hygienic, aesthetic and in keeping with the rest of the room and just right for the specific needs of your pet.
As a dachshund owner myself, I find that sofas and chairs have found footstools an easier mid-way level for him to jump up. He’s perfectly capable of the big leap but his back needs to be protected. We aren’t at the ramp stage as they seem rather cumbersome and overwhelm the room, but they might be something we consider in his old age. Believe me, I’ll make it good-looking!
Crates aren’t terribly attractive, but I’ve found a company (K9 Custom Crates) who will make a bespoke crate for your dog. They feel like they’re part of the room – rather than a small prison – and can give the dog the comfort and security that a crate provides.
Dog beds can be very attractive, some with all the pomp and ceremony of a traditional four-poster bed. Others use fabrics that aren’t just robust enough to house your canine but also will match your interior scheme. Try Hugo & Otto for some very dashing options.
Carpets are a careful consideration for those with pets (puppy training and new carpets are not a good mix). A white carpet is a dangerous choice but then again, a black carpet isn’t wise either. Dirt shows up much more easily on dark than you’d expect. The safe mid colourway choice is advisable or of course, vinyl – safe, wipeable vinyl. Wood floors can be scratched by dogs and stone floors can be cold under paw. Slippery surfaces can also be troublesome for the older dog who has lost his or her footing.
Sarah, who works with me, told me about her hamster hotel today. She chose it to match the nearby Bo Concept unit. And there you have it…. that’s why I hired her! Brilliant…
For advice on homes, with or without pets, please get in touch. 07782 256 444
Website Magpie is a digital marketing company dedicated to boosting local businesses and get them winning online. Get in touch for a bespoke business package via www.websitemagpie.comArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- SUMMARY - YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Part 2 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Part 1 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- How to Choose the Best Roof Installation Service Provider for Your House?
- 5 Simple Ways Indoor Plantation Shutters Enhance Home Décor
- Tips for house removals
- Tips and tricks from ZDT Kitchen Remodeling for a smooth home renovation
- Locksmith 4 U
- Tips For Painting Or Staining Your Patio Deck
- Removing Oil Out Of Carpet
- Why pay for home development when you may do it yourself?
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design