Overview of Machine Learning for Business Leaders
Computers & Technology → Technology
- Author Chris Kambala
- Published July 31, 2019
- Word count 520
Machine Learning has garnered a significant share of recent press coverage in both tech and main street media. It is inextricably intertwined with, and central to, discussion and dialogue on topics ranging from big data in general to Facebook’s threat to privacy, Boston Dynamics creepy robotics, and Google’s exploitation of artificial intelligence for good and ill. As such, it is easy to view machine learning as either sinister or magical — neither of which is true. For today’s business leader, an objective and actionable understanding of machine learning is as important as an actionable understanding of finance and financial management.
In this article, we provide an overview of machine learning for business leaders: what it is and how to think about its applicability to your business.
What machine learning is
Machine learning (ML) is a data-driven system development paradigm. ML systems leverage data models, data analysis and feedback to define and refine algorithms to improve model accuracy and system results.
ML systems work by analyzing data to detect patterns or by applying predefined rules to:
Categorize or catalog like objects
Predict likely outcomes or actions based on identified patterns
Identify unknown patterns and relationships
Detect anomalous or unexpected behaviors
Different algorithms learn in different ways. But in general, as new data are provided to the ML system the system "learns" and the algorithm’s performance improves over time.
Problems suited to machine learning
ML, like other software development paradigms, is not one-size-fits-all — some approaches are better suited to particular classes of problems and not suitable for others.
Machine learning is particularly suited to problems where:
Logical rules are unavailable or insufficient to describe the environment — but actionable rules can be intuited
Next actions are varied and the best action depends on conditions that cannot be identified in advance
Understanding why an outcome is suggested is not as important as the accuracy of the outcome
The data is problematic for traditional analytic methods
Now that you know what machine learning is and how to identify problems that lend themselves to ML solutions, let’s explore the steps to define and conduct an ML project.
How to plan and execute a machine learning project
Well executed ML systems follow these recommended steps:
These steps, while seemingly generic and common to traditional software system development, require the perspective and attention gained from experience with ML system development.
The best way to approach machine learning system development is to work through an ML project end-to-end and cover the key steps with an experienced guide or team. Every step, from loading data, summarizing data, evaluating algorithms, making initial predictions, refining and presenting results is improved by experience — much like an ML system.
Accordingly, your first project should be viewed as a learning process to understand the mechanics of machine learning, calibrate your expectations and provide a perspective for setting expectations, interpreting and presenting results from dynamic, learning systems. After tackling your first project with the expert assistance you will be prepared to spot and sponsor the next, more consequential machine learning opportunity.
We provide a full range of custom software development services to assist Clients with solutions to their most important business and operational challenges. Our solution architects, developers, designers and engineers work with you to define, design and deliver exactly what your business needs.Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Healthcare's Digital Transformation Re-eingeneered
- Recognizing and Preventing Hard Drive Failure: Safeguarding Your Data
- MPMsoft to AllMed PM: Empowering Medical Practices with Comprehensive Billing Software
- The Rewards of Owning Your Own Medical Billing Business: Empowering Flexibility, Income Potential, and Software Excellence
- Off-Site Medical Billers: The Solution for Small Practices
- Streamline Your Medical Billing Process with Advanced Medical Billing Software
- Take a Step Towards a Greener Future with LED Lighting
- Creative Fabrica, AI Text to Image Generator
- From Predictive Maintenance to Autonomous Robots: Harnessing the Power of AI and ML in Manufacturing
- Elcomsoft Phone Viewer - View, Analyze, and Export Phone Data with Ease
- 10 Essential Features Your Ecommerce Website Design Must Have
- The Role of Telemedicine in Disaster Response and Emergency Care
- BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and Asset Inspection Management
- Seven Realities of CRM Success and How to Address Them
- Exploring the Potential of Virtual Reality in Education: Benefits, Challenges, and Future Developments
- How We Measure Software Quality
- 100 Days of Code: The Challenge That Made Me Question My Sanity!
- The Intersection of Technology and Education: Navigating the Future Together
- Why Webflow is the Right Choice for Medium to Enterprise Level Businesses
- A Quick Guide to Get Started With WordPress.
- Custom Software Development Company
- 15 Companies That Use Salesforce CRM and How They Benefit
- Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) in Construction
- Benefits of Integrating WebChat Into Modern Web Apps
- Benefits Of Managed IT Services and Why Businesses in Irvine Should Consider Them?
- Choosing the correct mobile device for your inspection requirements
- Top Essential WordPress Plugins for Basic Website Development
- Cryptocurrency success story
- The Kosher Smartphone: Your Ultimate Guide to a Tech-Savvy Jewish Life
- Game On: The Power of Gamification in STEM Education