Your Complete Guide to Garden Rooms
- Author Hugh Brown
- Published November 20, 2019
- Word count 629
Need more space at home, but don’t want the expense, or the hassle of extending? A garden room could be the perfect solution- giving you a home gym, study or entertainment space. However, a garden room is much more complicated than simply constructing a shed. Here’s everything you need to consider before choosing the perfect garden room for your needs.
What will your garden room be used for?
A home office will have completely different requirements to an outdoor entertaining space or gym. Ask yourself the following questions-
Do I need electricity?
Connecting a garden room to mains electricity requires work by a registered electrician. Armoured cabling will run through your garden and can cost up to £500. That might feel like a large sum, but it can transform your life. With electricity your garden room can be used as an extension of the indoor living space, and not just another room in the garden used to chill out in the summer. The possibilities are endless!
Do I need wifi?
How far will the garden room be from the main house? Can you make do with a signal booster or will you need a whole new connection?
Will there be separate storage?
If the garden room is going where the shed was, what will happen to all the things that were stored in the shed? A bespoke room can include a combination room that offers you everything you need, alongside separate storage.
Is it going to be used all year round?
An all year round room requires proper insulation, heating and ventilation. The cost of these can add up, and may also make your project much more complicated than necessary. A home gym might make do with some decent insulation and ventilation, allowing you to skip heating altogether. After all if you’re not getting warm, are you really working out hard enough?
Do I want a bespoke garden room?
A bespoke garden room gives you everything you could have dreamed of. Whether you work with an architect to plan something truly spectacular, or can design something yourself, a bespoke construction can be suited to meet every single one of your needs. Both functionally, and aesthetically. Sit back and let the masters do their work.
Can I do it myself?
There are plenty of options to buy DIY kits, however bear in mind that you have to be experienced enough to be able to construct something solid that allows for the movement of air beneath the garden room in order to prevent a build-up of damp that will lead to rot and decay. You could still buy a modular kit and have a builder construct it if your construction skills are not up to scratch.
Sometimes an outside eye opens up potential that you’d never have seen.
Ask friends over to discuss details. Find the perfect spot in the garden, consider eco-friendly options such as solar panels and a green room. Alternatively, if you can, visit other properties with garden rooms to understand how you could make the most of one of your own. Browse online to discover new ideas.
You don’t need planning permission for a garden room if:
-it is single storey with maximum height of 4m
-does not take up more than half the area around the original house
-are not used as a home
Anything else will not come under permitted development and you will have to apply for planning permission. However it is best to check with your local council before undertaking any work.
A garden room can give your home a new lease of life and add value. If you’ve been thinking about how to create extra space, consider a garden room in which to live your best life!
Get the garden room of your dreams from Bakers Timbers. We offer a range of options with a full project management service which includes electrical installation, full insulation and double glazing as standard. All you have to worry about is how best to use your new space.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Part 2 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Part 1 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- How to Choose the Best Roof Installation Service Provider for Your House?
- 5 Simple Ways Indoor Plantation Shutters Enhance Home Décor
- Tips for house removals
- Tips and tricks from ZDT Kitchen Remodeling for a smooth home renovation
- Locksmith 4 U
- Tips For Painting Or Staining Your Patio Deck
- Removing Oil Out Of Carpet
- Why pay for home development when you may do it yourself?
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home