How To Get a Dog To Come When You Call
- Author Martina Smith
- Published January 6, 2020
- Word count 601
You're at the park with your dog. You've tried calling and calling him/her, but they won't listen. Instead of coming to you, the dog runs away or continues playing. It's frustrating and sometimes even embarrassing because people around are looking at you. Eventually, after chasing them around and running around in circles, you manage to get them. But it should not be so difficult - a dog should obey what you say to them. If you're in a similar situation where your dog doesn't come back after calling them, we're going to look at dog recall tips to help you solve this problem.
Call, Don't Yell
One mistake people make is that they yell instead of calling calmly, especially when the dog has done something wrong. What these people don't know is that the dog will associate the call with a negative thing. Your precious animal will be confused and won't come to you due to the fear of getting punished. What should you do instead? If he/she doesn't come back the first time, call them by name again. Do it cheerfully. When your dog turns around, sit down on your haunches and go on calling, enthusiastically and happily. Doing all these will encourage your animal to come. And when he finally comes, don't reprimand, but praise warmly.
Let Coming to You Be the Best Choice for Your Dog
If a dog is not answering and responding to your call, then he/she may be chasing after something more interesting. Therefore, think of ways to make coming back to you more exciting. One excellent way is having their favorite toy in hand. When you call them, your dog will know that you're giving them a fun item to play with, and they'll come. Another way is keeping a bag of tasty treats. As you continue with the recall training, you'll eventually be able to call your animal without over-relying on toys or treats.
Let the Call Be Not Always About Stopping Fun
One thing about dogs is that sometimes they behave like stubborn and over-excited kids. If you only call them when it's time to stop enjoying themselves, they're soon going to realize that it's not the best thing for them. Naturally, they'll want to keep enjoying themselves. The best solution for this is to call them when you're out having fun. Call your dog, and when he/she comes, say "good boy/girl," give them a treat or a scratch on the ear, and release them to continue playing. Do this several times and leave when it's finally time to go.
The key here is dissociating your call with the end of having fun. With enough recall training, they'll listen.
Never Punish If He/She Doesn't Come Straight Away
Punishment is a common reason why many dogs don't go to their owners after being called. Therefore, you should try to avoid it as much as possible. If you always punish your precious pet when they take too long to respond or come, they'll perceive your call as that of punishment. Therefore, they'll never do it. Be positive any time your dog responds and comes back, regardless of how long they take.
These are some of the best tips when it comes to dog recall training. Remember to exercise patience during the whole training process. Don't expect him to grasp everything within a day or two. It may take several days or even weeks, depending on various factors. The best thing is that if your dog learns to respond to a call, grasping other advanced commands will be easier.
Martina Smith has always loved animals, especially when she got her own dogs. She really enjoys learning more about dogs in general, enjoys sharing what she has learned and continues to learn, and she helps run a website that promotes Dog Training Equipment browse their selection now!Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Why You Should Look Into Epoxy Coatings for Concrete
- The Greatest Indian Takeaway
- CELEBRATE NATIONAL BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH AND ENTER TO WIN A KEURIG DUO
- The Assault on Science
- How to Follow-Up AFTER the Consult
- What is a Good Conversion Rate?
- How To Run Your Practice Like A Business
- Solar Panel Dust Can be Removed with a New Method Developed by Researchers
- Why Marketers Should Use WordPress Themes?
- Classic Vs Vintage Modern Diamond Jewelry
- Five Tips When Doing Kitchen Renovations in the Gold Coast
- How to Keep Staff Busy While You’re In Surgery
- Selling the Invisible: 4 Key Elements Needed to Promote Cosmetic Surgery Procedures
- 5 Great Ways That Car Wrapping Can Promote Your Business
- Grow a Multi-Million Dollar Plastic Surgery Practice
- Cosmetic Patient No-Shows Are a Problem
- The Truth About New Cosmetic Patient Leads
- Top Benefits of PHP in Web Solution
- Top 5 Live Forex Trading Rooms
- My Speaking Trip to Saudi Arabia
- Top Ways to Attract More Plastic Surgery Patients in 2021
- How Plastic Surgery Marketing Will Change in 2021
- Patient Consultations are NOT Converting!
- How to Increase Productivity Using Live Chat Bot Support
- How a Simple Gold Chain Can Change Your Fashion Aesthetics?
- Startup helps expats find a handyman in The Netherlands
- How to Use ChatBot As Customer Service Tool
- What is the Hand of Fatima?
- What Are the Main Chat Bot Benefits For Online Sellers?
- The Evolution and Effects of Quebec Independence Movement