What Is a Registered Electrician and Do I Need One?
- Author Steven Wright
- Published January 22, 2020
- Word count 454
Have you ever searched for an electrician when you need some electrical work carried out in your home? You may have headed straight to your laptop and ‘googled’ for one or you may have asked your friends and family for a recommendation. Maybe you were lucky and straight away found a good electrician who did a fantastic job. Unfortunately, it is not always easy to tell when the opposite has happened and you have employed someone who has cut corners to save money or who is just not up to the job. In Scotland, all electrical work needs to meet UK national standard BS 7671 (18th edition), so how do you ensure that you choose an electrician who will be competent and will always work to the correct standards?
There are several government-approved registered electrician schemes. Two of the most well-known are NICEIC (National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting) and SELECT (The Electrical Contractors Association of Scotland). To become registered, electricians have to endure very rigorous testing of their knowledge and procedures as well as regular inspections of their work, documentation and equipment. If they pass they are then allowed to display the logo of the accreditation body (e.g. NICEIC, SELECT) on their website, vans, uniforms, adverts etc. In addition, to maintain their registration, electricians must go through regular inspections to ensure that they are keeping to these high standards.
Benefits of Choosing a Registered Electrician
They carry out all electrical work to British Standard BS 7671 and can issue a BS7671 certificate
They are authorised to self-certify that their work is compliant with current Building Regulations.
Their work is regularly assessed to ensure ongoing competence
They will have valid insurance including public liability insurance of at least £2 million
Scheme operator will have a complaints procedure. They will investigate complaints made about electricians registered under their schemes who have not met the required standard.
Unfortunately, there are still a lot of dodgy electricians who claim to be registered with a scheme but aren’t. A scheme logo on a van or website is not a guarantee that an electrician is a member of a regulatory scheme. Always check by visiting the particular Registered Electrician website (e.g. NICEIC or SELECT) and check that they are actually currently listed.
Of course, it must be remembered that being a registered electrician does not guarantee good timekeeping or friendliness or other characteristics that may be important to you. However, it is a good indicator of a company with high standards and a professional work ethos. So even if a friend suggests the name of a ‘good electricians’ to you, we would still highly recommend checking to see if they are registered with a regulatory scheme.
Capital City Electrical is an established NICEIC approved electrical contractors in Edinburgh. They offer a wide range of electrical services for domestic and commercial clients in Edinburgh and the Lothians.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home
- Tips for choosing good cheap removalists interstate Melbourne
- Why Choose Resin For Your Driveway?
- Essential Things to Note When Searching for Concrete Restoration Services in Palm Beach
- How LED Lights Benefit Senior Citizens’ Health
- How to move your house
- Why Sealants and Adhesives are Important Correctional Resources?
- Make A New Year Resolution To Refit Your Kitchen, And Make Certain You Do It
- Making Every House a Home
- Should I Use Liquid Screed For My Next Floor Installation?