How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- Author Zulfah Abrahams
- Published March 2, 2020
- Word count 804
Did you know that the design of your home has the potential to promote your health and well-being? This is not as far-fetched as you might at first think. Seeing that the home is the environment we spend a significant amount of time in, it is only natural that we turn to those home remodeling projects that influence wellness. Homeowners are increasingly turning to wellness-focused remodeling and renovations projects to create and sustain healthier living.
The latest results from the national U.S. Houzz & Home report offers key insights into the various reasons homeowners consider making home improvements. Over 142,000 participants took part in the 2019 study that cited the various priorities that inspired their remodeling projects. Design and functionality was rated more highly (88 percent) than resale value (67 percent). Thirty-five percent of respondents said that prioritizing health concerns (a subset in the design and functionality category) was what drove their desire to improve their homes.
The home improvement industry abounds with a plethora of remodeling products designed to boost happiness and longevity. These products range from plumbing products such as motion-operated faucets that promote hygiene to circadian lighting for better quality sleep.
To better understand this concept of wellness design, we have to ask two questions. The first is why are we turning to wellness design to enhance our quality of living? And secondly, what are these specific wellness design elements and how do we go about incorporating them to make homes not only comfortable, but healthy too?
What We Demand From Our Homes Today
It is an open secret that a home directly contributes to health and well-being. Think for a moment about what your home represents to you. Like most people, you rely on your home to be your very own sanctuary; a space to escape to where you will find peace and tranquility after the demands of a day full of stress at work.
Refuge is made possible through the mechanics of purposeful design that ensures relaxation and rejuvenation.by incorporating attributes that enhance psychological well-being. But how is this brought about? When planning on transforming your home, carefully consider factors such as the materials used in the build or remodel, the layout of the floor plan and the flow of natural light
Must-have Attributes That Contribute To Wellness Design
So, you want better health, happiness and enhanced longevity? Read on to find out how a home remodel can help.
The Whole Building Design Guide (WBD) Productive Committee lists the essential attributes required to create optimal interior spaces for well-being and includes the following:
Improve the amount (and quality) of natural sources of light.
You can achieve this by replacing smaller windows with larger ones and installing skylights that allow for more natural light to flow into a room. Well-lit bright spaces have a positive effect on certain mental health issues.
Enhance the connection to nature.
Simple techniques such as placing plants within the home and providing access to window views facilitate a closer connection to nature. Additional ideas include installing a fireplace or a water feature. Communing with nature is one of the best anti-stress methods. And, is it cost-effective too.
Increase exposure to sensory variety.
Sensory stimulation – the strategic use of colors, displaying artwork or even the choice in curtains can shift the mood within a room.
Implement personal control over environmental conditions.
One of the end goals of residential wellness design is to encourage a sense of calm. This can be achieved by making use of smart storage solutions and spaces to keep spaces clutter-free.
Improve ventilation and air flow.
Indoor air quality can be enhanced by paying particular attention to the type of flooring solutions chosen. For example, solid hardwood floors are generally considered a healthier choice. Linoleum floors are another suitable alternative for those who are looking for a natural material with the benefits of anti-microbial and anti-static.
Home Remodeling Tips To Consider
To help your home offer a higher quality of life and create a healthier living space to better your health, the following home remodeling trends have been found to promote well-being:
• Flooring products that are natural non-toxic
• Cabinetry showcasing non-toxic materials
• Water and air purification systems
• Bidet style toilets for enhanced hygiene
• Acoustic paneling and ceiling tiles
Homeowners are now embracing a new trend in the home improvement industry – wellness design. No longer do we carry out remodeling projects just to improve the function, efficiency or aesthetic value of our homes. The focus has been redirected to finding ways to enhance the well-being of all who live within a home.
The home is the perfect place to promote the health and happiness of you and your loved ones. By including the wellness design strategies presented above into your overall home remodel plan you can create a framework for a healthier and higher quality of living.
Zulfah Abrahams is a freelance content writer with a profound interest in all things related to home improvement and living with authenticity.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Commentary - Homeowner’s Guides In Successful Resident-Contractor Relations
- What to do with unwanted furniture
- Homeowner’s Guides In Successful Resident-Contractor Relations
- SUMMARY - YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Part 2 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Part 1 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Peel And Stick Wallpaper – A More Convenient Alternative
- How to Choose the Best Roof Installation Service Provider for Your House?
- 5 Simple Ways Indoor Plantation Shutters Enhance Home Décor
- Tips for house removals
- Tips and tricks from ZDT Kitchen Remodeling for a smooth home renovation
- Locksmith 4 U
- Tips For Painting Or Staining Your Patio Deck
- Removing Oil Out Of Carpet
- Why pay for home development when you may do it yourself?
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?