How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- Author Zulfah Abrahams
- Published March 2, 2020
- Word count 804
Did you know that the design of your home has the potential to promote your health and well-being? This is not as far-fetched as you might at first think. Seeing that the home is the environment we spend a significant amount of time in, it is only natural that we turn to those home remodeling projects that influence wellness. Homeowners are increasingly turning to wellness-focused remodeling and renovations projects to create and sustain healthier living.
The latest results from the national U.S. Houzz & Home report offers key insights into the various reasons homeowners consider making home improvements. Over 142,000 participants took part in the 2019 study that cited the various priorities that inspired their remodeling projects. Design and functionality was rated more highly (88 percent) than resale value (67 percent). Thirty-five percent of respondents said that prioritizing health concerns (a subset in the design and functionality category) was what drove their desire to improve their homes.
The home improvement industry abounds with a plethora of remodeling products designed to boost happiness and longevity. These products range from plumbing products such as motion-operated faucets that promote hygiene to circadian lighting for better quality sleep.
To better understand this concept of wellness design, we have to ask two questions. The first is why are we turning to wellness design to enhance our quality of living? And secondly, what are these specific wellness design elements and how do we go about incorporating them to make homes not only comfortable, but healthy too?
What We Demand From Our Homes Today
It is an open secret that a home directly contributes to health and well-being. Think for a moment about what your home represents to you. Like most people, you rely on your home to be your very own sanctuary; a space to escape to where you will find peace and tranquility after the demands of a day full of stress at work.
Refuge is made possible through the mechanics of purposeful design that ensures relaxation and rejuvenation.by incorporating attributes that enhance psychological well-being. But how is this brought about? When planning on transforming your home, carefully consider factors such as the materials used in the build or remodel, the layout of the floor plan and the flow of natural light
Must-have Attributes That Contribute To Wellness Design
So, you want better health, happiness and enhanced longevity? Read on to find out how a home remodel can help.
The Whole Building Design Guide (WBD) Productive Committee lists the essential attributes required to create optimal interior spaces for well-being and includes the following:
Improve the amount (and quality) of natural sources of light.
You can achieve this by replacing smaller windows with larger ones and installing skylights that allow for more natural light to flow into a room. Well-lit bright spaces have a positive effect on certain mental health issues.
Enhance the connection to nature.
Simple techniques such as placing plants within the home and providing access to window views facilitate a closer connection to nature. Additional ideas include installing a fireplace or a water feature. Communing with nature is one of the best anti-stress methods. And, is it cost-effective too.
Increase exposure to sensory variety.
Sensory stimulation – the strategic use of colors, displaying artwork or even the choice in curtains can shift the mood within a room.
Implement personal control over environmental conditions.
One of the end goals of residential wellness design is to encourage a sense of calm. This can be achieved by making use of smart storage solutions and spaces to keep spaces clutter-free.
Improve ventilation and air flow.
Indoor air quality can be enhanced by paying particular attention to the type of flooring solutions chosen. For example, solid hardwood floors are generally considered a healthier choice. Linoleum floors are another suitable alternative for those who are looking for a natural material with the benefits of anti-microbial and anti-static.
Home Remodeling Tips To Consider
To help your home offer a higher quality of life and create a healthier living space to better your health, the following home remodeling trends have been found to promote well-being:
• Flooring products that are natural non-toxic
• Cabinetry showcasing non-toxic materials
• Water and air purification systems
• Bidet style toilets for enhanced hygiene
• Acoustic paneling and ceiling tiles
Homeowners are now embracing a new trend in the home improvement industry – wellness design. No longer do we carry out remodeling projects just to improve the function, efficiency or aesthetic value of our homes. The focus has been redirected to finding ways to enhance the well-being of all who live within a home.
The home is the perfect place to promote the health and happiness of you and your loved ones. By including the wellness design strategies presented above into your overall home remodel plan you can create a framework for a healthier and higher quality of living.
Zulfah Abrahams is a freelance content writer with a profound interest in all things related to home improvement and living with authenticity.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Who Will We Hire After the Wildfire?
- Types of Fencing for Your Farm
- Restoring Faded Gutters 101
- Gutter Repair Tips
- What to Look for in Shingle Roofing
- Fence Painting 101
- Barbed Wire Fencing Explained
- Method Used to Grout Tile
- Reasons to Buy a Vinyl Fence-Quality, Durability, Lifespan
- The Various Grades of Vinyl Fencing-Consumer and Professional
- Can a pool add value to a home in Texas?
- Skills a Roofer Must Possess
- Is Pine Wood Good for Fencing
- How to Hang a picture perfectly
- Tips To Prepare Your Home For Winter
- Who Will We Hire After the Hurricane?
- Quick! I Need a Locksmith! But Who Can I Trust?
- Do-Able Tips For US Private Home Heads Hiring Best Contractors - Part 3
- The 5 Special Ingredients That Make Your Paint Special
- National Homeowner’s Guide to Hiring Unknown Contractors
- Get the Best Professional Cleaning Service Near Me
- How to Select the Best Tiles for Every Area
- How to Correctly Size For Replacement Windows
- White Reclaimed Wooden Platform Bed Frames
- Your Guide To Hiring A Local Window Cleaner
- 5 Reasons to Use Your Local Hillsborough Window Cleaner
- Engaging a concrete cutting Sydney company
- Walking Sticks Guide - Tips For Buying A Walking Stick As A Gift
- Why Solar Panel Installations are Good for the Environment?
- What You Must Consider Before Hiring Your Next Emergency Locksmith