Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Author Don Milne
- Published May 21, 2020
- Word count 510
To flip or not to flip? That is the question. It’s a commonly held belief that a mattress should be flipped at regular intervals to help prevent uneven wear and tear and to help promote better posture while sleeping. While guidelines of anywhere from 3-12 months are given, as it turns out, most modern mattresses don’t need to be flipped – although many older mattresses still have this requirement.
Whether or not your mattress should be flipped depends on the type of mattress, and the instructions given by the mattress manufacturer. In order to protect your warranty, it’s ultimately best to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Inner-spring mattresses can develop dips and indentations over time, as people tend to sleep in the same positions night after night, putting pressure in the same areas, particularly if they sleep on one side only. Flipping and rotating the mattress every six months will minimise the formation of any indentations, keeping your mattress supportive and comfortable for longer, while promoting healthy spinal alignment. While traditionally spring mattresses have been made with cushioning on both sides, most spring mattresses today are made "one-sided", with all the comfort layers on one side only. This means that the mattress doesn’t need to be flipped.
If you have a one-sided mattress, you should still rotate it top-to-bottom every 3-6 months to help to minimise any indentations.
Pocket spring mattresses
Compared with inner-spring mattresses, pocket spring mattresses are less prone to dips and sags due to the way that the springs are individually encased and isolated from each other. These mattresses are frequently one-sided, similar to modern inner-spring mattresses, meaning that they don’t need to be flipped.
Foam mattresses, including memory foam mattresses, are typically comprised of several foam layers with varying density in order to give a particular firmness or comfort level. They typically don’t need to (and shouldn’t) be flipped for this reason, but they should still be rotated top-to-bottom, particularly if you sleep mainly on one side of the bed.
Mattresses that contain 100% natural latex foam do not need to be flipped or rotated. High quality natural latex is very durable and many manufacturers claim that the mattress will hold its shape for 20+ years. Some latex mattresses even offer a choice of a firm and softer side, meaning that flipping your mattress will change its firmness, but isn’t necessary to increase its longevity. Still, you can rotate your mattress top-to-bottom if you are concerned about any indentations occurring.
When you are flipping or rotating your mattress, it’s a good idea to use the opportunity to vacuum your mattress and clean hard-to-reach spots around the bed base at the same time.
With an expensive purchase such as a mattress, you’ll want to be getting many years of comfortable sleep from it. Following these tips should help you to get the most from your mattress and help to keep it feeling as comfortable and supportive as it did the day you bought it.
Article provided by Chiropedichttp://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Why Get Your Carpets Professionally Cleaned
- Finding the Best Fencing Contractors
- Home Safety: Priority #1 – Careful Who We Hire?
- Top 4 Benefits of Roof Cleaning
- What is The Best Power Scrubber to Buy in 2020?
- Mold in Melbourne are at your corner - Let's crush it with caulk
- Why caulking is important
- Health hazards caused by Mold
- 10 Quick Tips For Unpacking in a New Home
- Commentary - Homeowner’s Guides In Successful Resident-Contractor Relations
- What to do with unwanted furniture
- Homeowner’s Guides In Successful Resident-Contractor Relations
- SUMMARY - YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Part 2 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Part 1 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Peel And Stick Wallpaper – A More Convenient Alternative
- How to Choose the Best Roof Installation Service Provider for Your House?
- 5 Simple Ways Indoor Plantation Shutters Enhance Home Décor
- Tips for house removals
- Tips and tricks from ZDT Kitchen Remodeling for a smooth home renovation
- Locksmith 4 U
- Tips For Painting Or Staining Your Patio Deck
- Removing Oil Out Of Carpet
- Why pay for home development when you may do it yourself?
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating