Ten Words That Meant Different In a Pre-Internet World than Now
- Author Matt Simons
- Published June 28, 2020
- Word count 568
The 20th century was an era of inventions! This glorious period blessed humans with some life-changing inventions including the Internet. We have noticed a significant change not only in our lives but also on the culture and linguistics. This is the reason why dictionaries published new editions with more trendy and updated words.
However, some old words now have totally different meanings. For example, “Tablet”, “Catfish” and “cloud”. Our ancestors would have never guessed the meaning of “catfish” as what it means now!
Well, this appropriation of words is not random. Most of the words are usually the metaphorical representation of the new ones. Such as the data stored in an iCloud is as remote as the clouds in the sky whereas, Catfishing is just as frustrating and unpredictable as catching your spouse cheating online.
With the help of the best essay writing service and dictionary.com, we have compiled the lists of words whose meanings have changed completely since the internet took over the world. This shows how technology evolved and shaped our language, or at least the way we communicate.
● Before the Internet: “to be placed in front of something, such as a road or path, so that people or things cannot pass through.”- Source: dictionary.com
● Now: to restrict someone from contacting or viewing your profile on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
● Before the Internet: “a long narrow boat that is pointed at both ends and that is moved by a paddle with one blade.”
● Now: “a Twitter conversation that has picked up too many usernames for an actual conversation to take place.” - Source: Dictionary.com
● Before the Internet: “a freshwater or marine fish with whiskers like barbels around the mouth, typically bottom-dwelling.”
● Now: “a person who sets up a false personal profile on a social networking site for fraudulent or deceptive purposes.” - source: dictionary.com
● Before the internet: “a disease, relating to, or caused by a virus.”
● Now: “Becoming increasingly popular and infamous, especially on online platforms..” -source: dictionary.com
● Before the Internet: “to disconnect something, such as a lamp or television from an electrical source or another device by removing its plug.”
● Now: “to refrain from using digital or electronic devices for some time.” - Source: Dictionary.com
● Before the internet: “a chirping note or a sound that birds make.” -Source: dictionary.com
● Now: “a precise message usually of 140 characters posted on a social site called Twitter.”
● Before the internet: “a dwarf or giant in Scandinavian folklore inhabiting caves or hills.”
● Now: “a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people.” -source: Dictionary.com
● Before the internet: “a table listing important events for successive years within a particular historical period.”
● Now: “a collection of online posts or updates associated with a specific social media account, in reverse chronological order.” -Source: Dictionary.com
● Before the internet: “a flat piece of stone, clay, or wood that has writing on it.”
● Now: “a general-purpose computer contained in a touchscreen panel.” - Source: Dictionary.com
● Before the internet: “to supply with an identifying marker or price; to attach as an addition.”
● Now: to link to someone else’s profile in a social media post, commonly a photo or status update. - Source: Dictionary.com
Isn't it amazing? So how many words can you think of now?
Matt Simons is a blogger & professional dissertation writing Services UK provider at Dissertation Pros. He writes for a wide variety of topics including Academic Writing, Dissertation Writing, Essay Writing, Education, Health, Fitness, and Technology.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- The History of Link Building
- 3 Amazing Facts About Paraphrasing Tool
- The Story of HoookedUP: The Social Media App that focuses on being a Helping Hand
- 5G to the rescue! - who is going to benefit from it the most?
- How to reset iCloud account if forgot password?
- Everything You Need to Know About the Best Software Company in Bangladesh
- make money online during lockdown
- Why you Should Hire a Local SEO Company in Melbourne
- Improve your link building efforts with these effective tactics
- Alternative for a self-ordering kiosk at your restaurant
- Best Modem & Routers for Satellite Internet Connection
- Website Architecture: Things to know before starting your next website design project
- Long-tail Keywords- Why You Need to Focus on Them?
- Manga Rock Shuts Down Due to Piracy and Starts MR Comics
- How To Makes Money Online
- How to remove Malware from your Android Phone?
- Time Now to Bring AI Power to Your eCommerce Business
- JobEnrolls: A safest freelancing platform in Bangladesh
- Is PayPal Right Choice For Your Prestashop Store? 5 Reasons to Justify
- What’s A Board Certified Behavior Analyst?
- Important Steps to Building a Premium Brand
- Machine Learning: All You Need To Know
- Why Should you Hire Professional Services From a Mobile App Development Company?
- Ways to Improve Video Ranking on Youtube
- SEO and AdWords: The right combination for great results
- Data Science Course Fees And Content
- Necessity Of Complete Training For A Probable Analyst
- The Internet of Things Means for Businesses
- The Benefits of Web-Based Systems for Business