Ground-breaking women in tech showcased at Future of Work Conference
- Author Olivia Jones Communications
- Published September 12, 2020
- Word count 524
The first-ever Future of Work Virtual Conference - hosted by CNBC Africa, in partnership with Forbes Africa – surpassed its goal of outlining digital opportunities for business in Africa, reaching more than 2 000 viewers across the globe with the live broadcast on Thursday, 20 August. But more than this, the conference showcased the impact being made by women in the field of technology, most of whom have had to successfully navigate a male-dominated industry to have their voices heard.
“The conference sought to highlight the many ways in which the continent can leverage new technologies for business growth, and it’s through platforms, such as these, that we are levelling the playing field and giving women the chance to show the world what gender equality really means,” explained Roberta Naicker, Managing Director of the ABN Group. “Female empowerment is not about ticking the politically correct boxes. It’s about actually giving women an equal opportunity to thrive in their chosen career, to listen and learn from them, and to acknowledge that, in many instances, they are having to overcome much more to achieve the status enjoyed by their male counterparts.”
Matching this calibre of women in the technological industry, the all-day virtual conference welcomed an esteemed panel line-up comprising a strong selection of female leaders. Included in Future of Work programme were:
- Rebecca Enonchong: Founder and Chief Executive Officer of AppsTech
Panel: Empowering the workforce to harness IoT and Big Data Analytics
- Algirde Pipikaite: Project Lead, Industry Solutions, and Centre for Cybersecurity for the World Economic Forum
Panel: Cybersecurity for the distributed, hyper-connected workplace
- Amrote Abdella: Regional Director of Microsoft 4Afrika Initiatives
Panel: Turbocharging productivity: what automation, machine learning and AI can do for your business
- Jacqueline Raw: Founder of Ycagel and SkillX, Sales and Marketing Strategist
Panel: Digital transformation and the distributed enterprise
- Alison Collier: MD of Endeavor South Africa
Panel: How Saas & Cloud computing can help African enterprises futureproof their business model
Kavitha Prag: Supply Chain and Network Operating Lead within Enterprise Technology & Performance
Canninah Mapena: MD and Country Sales Director for Rockwell Automation Introductory address
Sannah Rajpurohit: Management Consultant in the telecommunications, media and technology space.
The need to shift mindsets, particularly in terms of women in traditionally male-dominated industries, is vital for both the cause of women, as well as the nation as a whole. In her SA FM interview ahead of the conference, Kavitha Prag recalls being one of two women in her electrical engineering class, with few female role models within the workplace. However, she believes the fundamental skills learnt within STEM fields provide a solid foundation for all industries.
“It (engineering) teaches fundamental problem-solving skills that you take with you, irrespective of whether you’re dealing with a core engineering design problem, or a business problem.
“These core skills are not only critical but essential for the progress of this country. Until we make this (apprenticeship) attractive …create an environment where these careers are aspirational, we’re going to suffer as a nation.”
For those who missed the live #FOWA2020 event, the speaker panel is available at https://www.cnbcafrica.com/future-of-work/
These core skills are not only critical but essential for the progress of this country. Until we make this (apprenticeship) attractive …create an environment where these careers are aspirational, we’re going to suffer as a nation.”
For those who missed the live #FOWA2020 event, the speaker panel is available at https://www.cnbcafrica.com/future-of-work/Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- 12 Best Text Classification Tools and Services
- The Importance of Natural Language Processing for Non-English Languages
- Boost productivity with a single database development environment
- Industrial-grade disk sanitation for enterprises
- Manage dual boot and multi-boot environments with a boot manager
- All-in-one data recovery, backup, and security
- Boot up any computer with Active@ LiveCD
- Secure IT asset disposal made easy with KillDisk Desktop
- Microsoft Ceases Free Security Updates Support is ending for Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010
- Meet GetBlock.io – a provider of the most popular blockchain nodes!
- Diagnose, repair, and maintain your PC with Active@ Boot Disk
- The guide teaching How to Fix Installation Error with Canon Printer to do canon printer introduce method
- The Essential Guide to Training Data
- How to Troubleshoot Quicken Error OL-220-a?
- A photo manager and digital asset manager for creative photography
- Improve your drafting with a multi-purpose CAD platform
- How to Use Cyclonis Password Manager Instead of Keychain on iPhone
- Simplify your migration from QuarkXPress to Adobe InDesign
- How To Take Grow Light Help In Indoor Plants
- Introduction to PDF to word conversion on Windows, and Mac
- Bring out the best in your photos with ACDSee Professional photo software
- Want to Become an IT Security Professional?
- Securely erase your data with Active@ ZDelete
- 30 Largest TensorFlow Datasets for Machine Learning
- Types of Cables and Wires Found in Modern Technology
- SAP S/4 HANA – Empowering Manufacturers Driving Digital Transformation
- Business mistakes contact centres make during cloud migration
- What Is Data Democratization and Why is it Needed?
- Tech Sector to Weather Economic Storm