CAR TUNEUP: WHY IT’S SO IMPORTANT
- Author Danny Hales
- Published November 29, 2020
- Word count 355
Contrary to what some might think, cars are more durable and require less maintenance now than at any point in history. In the Sixties or Seventies, a tuneup was something that came along every 35k or so miles, and meant a mechanic would look at a cars ignition points, spark plugs, plug wires, setting the ignition timing with a strobe light and resetting the idle and mixture on the carburetor. In the Fifties, cars needed even more care; before the advent of oil filters and detergent motor oil, a car’s engine would be fairly worn out and in need of a rebuild by 90k miles!
None of that applies anymore. It’s now not unusual for drivers to get 175k or 200k miles out of a car, with the right auto maintenance and care. Tuneups are usually not necessary before 80k or so, but that doesn’t mean they should be neglected.
So what does “tuneup” even mean now, anyway? What does it consist of?
New spark plugs
New spark plug wires
New air filter
New PCV valve
New O2 sensor, possibly
Diagnostic check of engine computer to look for trouble codes
Tuneups are still important from the aspect of performance, drivability and emissions, just as they always have been. And once the plugs and plug wires, in particular, get to the point of needing to be replaced by an auto repair shop, you’ll know it – you’ll notice sluggish performance, poor fuel economy, and your engine may begin to misfire and run erratically. Also, if your car’s Check Engine light comes on and stays on, that’s a sure sign…it means that somewhere under the hood, a sensor is sending a reading to your engine computer that is far enough out of parameters that it has recorded a “hard trouble code” that can’t be fixed until the problem is fixed.
So…tune-ups may be needed a lot less frequently than they used to be, and they may not involve as many steps as they used to, but that doesn’t mean that they’re something to just blow off!
I am Danny and I am a professional car mechanic in Las Vegas. I love blogging and writing on car repairing and other daily life topics. So, I am here for sharing my life experience with my family friends.https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Customising Your Company Vehicle: Why You Should Choose Wrapping Over Repainting
- 5 Simple Tips For Smooth Driving In Winter
- 6 Simple Ways To Prepare Your Car For The ‘Back To School Season’
- Can You Sue After An Uber Accident?
- 5 Great Ways To Modernise Your Driving
- 5 Things To Watch Out For On The Roads This Summer
- What’s Coming Next In Car Safety? 5 Areas To Keep An Eye On
- Tips When Buying Quality Used Cars on Sale
- The Ultimate Guide to Caring for and Upgrading Your Car
- The Beginner’s Guide to Professional Car Detailing
- 5 Ways To Find The Faults With Your Car
- Why Window Tinting Cars Is Beneficial
- 5 Great Ways To Upgrade Your Driving Experience
- World premiere of the electric Audi Q4 e-tron and Q4 Sportback e-tron
- 5 Key Changes In The Transport Industry That YOU Need To Know About
- The Emerging Green Face Of Transport: And 5 Ways To Keep Up!
- Best GPS Tracking Device - Don't Cheap Out on Components
- The 5 Electric Cars With The Longest Range
- What Changes are the MOT industry is Applying in 2021?
- Why Vyncs Car Tracker Is a Great Choice for Parents
- 6 Simple Ways To Pandemic-Proof Your Car
- A Fresh Look at Trends and Statistics in the Automotive Aftermarket
- Does Tuning Increase Fuel Economy?
- What Are the Benefits of Dual Exhausts?
- How do you know if your Car Needs Coolant?
- Is it Worth Buying a New Van During Covid-19?
- Which Cars Have the Most Engine Problems?
- How can I sell my used car easily and quickly? We have good advice on how to sell your car fast and profitably.
- How to Prepare Your Car for Back to School