CAR TUNEUP: WHY IT’S SO IMPORTANT
- Author Danny Hales
- Published November 29, 2020
- Word count 355
Contrary to what some might think, cars are more durable and require less maintenance now than at any point in history. In the Sixties or Seventies, a tuneup was something that came along every 35k or so miles, and meant a mechanic would look at a cars ignition points, spark plugs, plug wires, setting the ignition timing with a strobe light and resetting the idle and mixture on the carburetor. In the Fifties, cars needed even more care; before the advent of oil filters and detergent motor oil, a car’s engine would be fairly worn out and in need of a rebuild by 90k miles!
None of that applies anymore. It’s now not unusual for drivers to get 175k or 200k miles out of a car, with the right auto maintenance and care. Tuneups are usually not necessary before 80k or so, but that doesn’t mean they should be neglected.
So what does “tuneup” even mean now, anyway? What does it consist of?
New spark plugs
New spark plug wires
New air filter
New PCV valve
New O2 sensor, possibly
Diagnostic check of engine computer to look for trouble codes
Tuneups are still important from the aspect of performance, drivability and emissions, just as they always have been. And once the plugs and plug wires, in particular, get to the point of needing to be replaced by an auto repair shop, you’ll know it – you’ll notice sluggish performance, poor fuel economy, and your engine may begin to misfire and run erratically. Also, if your car’s Check Engine light comes on and stays on, that’s a sure sign…it means that somewhere under the hood, a sensor is sending a reading to your engine computer that is far enough out of parameters that it has recorded a “hard trouble code” that can’t be fixed until the problem is fixed.
So…tune-ups may be needed a lot less frequently than they used to be, and they may not involve as many steps as they used to, but that doesn’t mean that they’re something to just blow off!
I am Danny and I am a professional car mechanic in Las Vegas. I love blogging and writing on car repairing and other daily life topics. So, I am here for sharing my life experience with my family friends.http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- How do you know if your Car Needs Coolant?
- Is it Worth Buying a New Van During Covid-19?
- Which Cars Have the Most Engine Problems?
- How can I sell my used car easily and quickly? We have good advice on how to sell your car fast and profitably.
- How to Prepare Your Car for Back to School
- What is the difference between a taxi and a chauffeur service?
- Reasons to buy a second hand car than a new one
- What are the different parts of a car?
- 5 Things That Only Car Wreckers Can Tell You
- Why Dash Cams Are So Popular In Ireland Today
- Import Your Car To Spain
- 7 Reasons for using Private Airport Transfer service over taxi in Singapore
- The Importance of a Trustworthy and Reliable Limousine Service in Singapore
- Why A Prebooked Airport Or Cruise Port Transfer Can Be The Best Option For You?
- Car Fuel Savings
- Guide To Purchase A Pre-Owned BMW
- Reach Local SEO Brisbane for the Best SEO Tips
- How to trade in my car with payments left on the loan?
- Want to Buy a Quality Car? just in a used car
- Which 2019 car do women prefer? According to the Women’s World Car of the Year it’s the Mazda 3.
- Everything you need to know about Car Key Programmers
- What are the Subaru WRX models?
- What Is Fuel Injector Cleaner ?
- How To Remove Overspray From Glass Easily?
- How to Remove Auto Paint Overspray Easily & Effectively?
- 8 Auspicious Car Plate Numbers That Will Bring You Prosperity in 2020
- 4 Things that Affect Your Fuel Economy of Your Car
- Get the Service of Paint Overspray Removal On Car from Specialist Overspray Removal Cleaners
- How to Remove Overspray From Car?