5 Document Security Mistakes and How to Fix Them
- Author Paul Edwards
- Published March 30, 2021
- Word count 583
The focus of data theft may be on large-scale corporate attacks affecting tens or hundreds of thousands of individuals, but the real risk to document security could be closer to home. Using the wrong printer or photocopier to manage your documents, with features not optimised for your print environment can result in a loss of information.
Here’s a list of common ways you’re going wrong with document security and suggestions to make it right.
Documents that are left in the printer output tray are at risk of being read, copied, or stolen and if the information in these documents contains sensitive information such as payroll, banking, or personal data, that could put your business at risk. Choose a printer or photocopier that is capable of authenticating the user at the device before releasing the print job and ensure that this feature is implemented throughout your office.
Hard Drive Data
Each multifunctional printer and photocopier contains a hard drive, much like your computer. This hard drive contains all the information of each printed, scanned, copied, or emailed document and therefore requires the same level of security as your desktop or laptop computer.
Most modern printers and photocopiers today have the option to turn on data-encryption, this adds a level of security that will prevent someone from removing the hard-drive and using your data. Choose a device with enterprise-grade encryption and ensure it is turned on.
As most office printers and photocopiers are leased or rented, you should ensure that when the copier is returned to the supplier the hard drive is wiped of any data.
Most people store their documents somewhere on their device before they are scanned. Saving documents to a convenient location, such as your desktop or local folder increases the risk of a data breach by hackers or malicious employees. To mitigate this, make sure your printer can save your files directly to the cloud.
Documents that contain sensitive information should be password-protected. The right printer can ensure you are sending your documents securely across your business.
We recommend that you use a strong password to encrypt sensitive or confidential documents and to level up your document security. Ideally with a mix of uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols and at least 12 characters long. Use a password generator to avoid words that are easy to guess.
A colleague who works from home or away from the office may ask a team member in the office to print a document for them, but if the team member saves that document in an unsafe location, it could fall into the wrong hands compromising your document security. A printer or photocopier with remote printing capability allows colleagues who are not in the office to print safely and effectively. PaperCut software can be installed on most print servers and features mobility print, allowing you to print remotely from outside your network.
Level Up Your Document Security
Sensitive or confidential documents falling into the wrong hands can be catastrophic for many businesses. In a time of data privacy and regulations such as GDPR, it’s so important for businesses to gain full control over their data and minimise the risks of data leakage.
A document management solution allows your business to have full control of its document security and provides a full audit trail allowing you to easily see who viewed, modified and accessed any documents. It provides granular control of the document flow around your business.
Hi, I'm Paul Edwards the Managing Director of Print Logic Ltd
If you’re looking for a Document Management Solution, we offer bespoke solutions tailored to your business and document needs.
Talk to one of our friendly Document Management experts, who’ll work with you to bring you the latest technology for less. We pride ourselves on our customer support and saving you time and money.https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Stoodaio 2.0 - Future of AI Video Generation
- How Product Development Companies Can Unlock Innovation, Invention, And Efficiency
- Avoiding Common Pitfalls: Tips for a Successful WordPress to Shopify Migration
- Intermittent Fasting: A Balanced Approach for Busy Professionals
- Cooking as a Form of Self-Care
- How Listening To Music Enhances Your Workout
- The Alleged Love Connection: Music Exec Zaviea Divinchi and KJ Smith from Tyler Perry's Sistas Spark Dating Rumors
- Spices: From Ancient Treasures to Modern Wellness
- Introduction to Architecture: What Kids Should Know
- Residential Junk Removal
- Once upon time there was Domain Driven Design…
- The Risks of Using StreamFab Crack Versions and the Importance of Legitimate Software
- Plastic Pollution and the Importance of Plastic Recycling
- Best Oven Cleaner London (2023): Revive Your Oven
- Eliminating Damp Smell
- Find The Best Feather Duster Now
- Blockchain and AI Convergence: A New Era of Innovation
- The Ultimate Guide to Wedding Entertainment Ideas
- The Ultimate Guide to Hiring Wedding Entertainment Tips and Tricks
- The Power of Music - Choosing the Right Wedding Entertainment
- Unique Wedding Entertainment Ideas to Wow Your Guests
- What is a dental filling?
- Learn to ride an e-Foil (electric hydrofoil) in New York; access, inclusion, and benefits.
- This Financial “FORMula” Will Help You Plan Around What Matters Most
- Discovering Romania by Car: Your Essential Guide to Car Rentals
- 06 Reasons Why the Role of Social Media is Vital in Public Relations
- Mobile Suit Gundam Watch Order: From Start to Finish
- Residency and Taxation in Andorra, Bulgaria, and the UAE - Tax Haven Options
- Interlocking Brick Driveway: Durability and Elegance Combined
- 7 Essential Factors to Consider When Job Searching with a Felony Record