Is it better to remove my concrete before putting down brick paving on my driveway?
- Author Steve Smith
- Published March 20, 2021
- Word count 241
At Jacksonville Pavers we often hear this questions, is it okay to just pave over our concrete driveway? The problem with paving over your driveway concrete has to do with the initial preparation of the site.
With concrete, if you're worried about strength and stability, the solution is to simply lay a thicker slab. Because of this, contractors laying concrete rarely worry about preparing the base. The ground underneath a concrete driveway may be prone to shifting or sinking, and there's really no way of knowing what's down there until it's dug up.
Laying bricks over concrete creates two worries:
The unprepared sub base
The concrete itself
If something is wrong with either of these layers, it will show through the bricks. Unfortunately, when brick driveways are done over concrete, they can be resting on an unstable base, the resulting bricks can be prone to instability. Expansion joints in the concrete will quickly turn into cracks, which will require costly ongoing repair jobs. In extreme cases, shifts in the ground could crack the entire surface, just as a house's foundation may crack if improperly laid.
So putting brick paving over concrete may look good at first, but there are bound to be problems over time. It just doesn't make fiscal sense to do it, as that driveway will need a lot more work in the near future. So it is best to remove the concrete first and than lay the bricks.
There are no posted comments.
- Is Etching Concrete Necessary? Weighing The Pros and Cons Of This Home Improvement Method
- Power Washing Services in Chicago; DIY or Hire a Pro?
- Choosing the Right Builder in the UK
- 5 Tips For Cleaning the House
- Protect the Plumbing Pipes in your Home from Freezing During Winter Months
- Creating Your Dream Home: A Guide to the Different Types of Home Extensions
- Small Outdoor Kitchen in LA
- How does commercial cleaning vary from domestic cleaning?
- How To Choose The Right Hinges For The Doors
- Are You Worried About Construction Cleaning After Renovating or Constructing Your House?
- How To Approach Removing Asbestos Removal in Sydney
- Professional Carpet Cleaning vs. Do-It-Yourself Methods: Which is Better?
- Installation Tips for Outdoor Lighting Fixtures
- 5 Reasons to Call a Professional Plumber for Drain Cleaning
- Why Smart Home Automation In Cumbernauld Is The Best Home Improvement Installation Absolutely Everyone Needs
- 4 Bathroom Cleaning Mistakes You Didn't Know You Were Making
- Looking For a Maid Service in San Jose? Remember These 5 Important Things
- Preparing Your House For Sale: The Top 4 Benefits of Hiring a Cleaning Service
- Why online bed shopping is better than visiting home furniture store?
- Waste Removal Companies and How to Choose and Use Them
- It's Far Better To Trust The Smart Home Installers In Manchester Than To DIY This Home Improvement Task – Here's Why
- How to Get a Set of Plans for Your Room Addition: The Complete Guide
- How to Choose a General Contractor to Remodel My House: The Ultimate Guide
- How to heat water with solar panel?
- 9 Signs You Need Emergency Plumber In Your Home
- Pavers for your Driveway, Patio or Pool Deck
- Paver Driveways
- 3 Electrical Safety Tips for Your Home
- 10 Beautiful, Inexpensive Bathroom Remodel Ideas
- Home Sauna Installation Guide: How to Do it Like a Pro?