Is it better to remove my concrete before putting down brick paving on my driveway?
- Author Steve Smith
- Published March 20, 2021
- Word count 241
At Jacksonville Pavers we often hear this questions, is it okay to just pave over our concrete driveway? The problem with paving over your driveway concrete has to do with the initial preparation of the site.
With concrete, if you're worried about strength and stability, the solution is to simply lay a thicker slab. Because of this, contractors laying concrete rarely worry about preparing the base. The ground underneath a concrete driveway may be prone to shifting or sinking, and there's really no way of knowing what's down there until it's dug up.
Laying bricks over concrete creates two worries:
The unprepared sub base
The concrete itself
If something is wrong with either of these layers, it will show through the bricks. Unfortunately, when brick driveways are done over concrete, they can be resting on an unstable base, the resulting bricks can be prone to instability. Expansion joints in the concrete will quickly turn into cracks, which will require costly ongoing repair jobs. In extreme cases, shifts in the ground could crack the entire surface, just as a house's foundation may crack if improperly laid.
So putting brick paving over concrete may look good at first, but there are bound to be problems over time. It just doesn't make fiscal sense to do it, as that driveway will need a lot more work in the near future. So it is best to remove the concrete first and than lay the bricks.
There are no posted comments.
- A Few Tips For Electronics Recycling
- New Year, New Kitchen, New Year
- What is a Level 2 Electrician & Why You May Need One
- HOW TO PREPARE YOUR AC UNIT FOR WINTER
- Everything You Should Know About Flue Liner Installation
- Why You Should Look Into Epoxy Coatings for Concrete
- Five Tips When Doing Kitchen Renovations in the Gold Coast
- Biomass boiler - The most important advantages of biomass boiler
- 7 Tips To Choose The Best Carpet For Your Home
- Best Ways to Move Across the Country
- How To Repair A Damaged Roof? | i5 Exteriors
- The Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Right Bathroom Mirror for Your Home
- How Often Should I Get My Car Serviced?
- What Makes Epoxy Resin Flooring Stand Out?
- Why Epoxy Floor Coatings Are The #1 Choice For Residential Garages
- Syd Epoxy Flooring Contractors Want To Come Work For You
- The Most Common Reasons for Blocked Drains
- What are the main advantagous of epoxy flooring?
- Get the Best Epoxy Flooring Sydney
- How to secure your home with smart home technology
- Power Tool Accessories
- 5 Electrical Tips When Moving Homes
- How To Build a Quality Australian Deck
- How to make your Bathroom Renovation More Functional
- What Is The Average Cost To Epoxy Garage Floors?
- Pest Control Checklist for Every House
- 7 Reasons Why Your Drains Might Be Blocked
- What You Need to Know Before Buying a Toilet Fill Valve
- Effortless Ways To Properly Maintain Your Roof
- The Primary Uses Of Concrete