Devon Youth Chamber Brass Launched To Support Young Musicians
- Author Alex Belsey
- Published March 22, 2021
- Word count 484
Musical Group Devon Youth Chamber Brass Founded To Support Young Musicians In The South-West
A new musical group, Devon Youth Chamber Brass, has been founded to support young musicians in the Devon area.
This new and exciting musical organisation was created by British composer and brass educator, Sam Massey. He is also the musical director of leading crossover chamber ensemble, Superlocrian.
Devon Youth Chamber Brass provides a range of brass ensemble performance opportunities, educational workshops, and more, for young performers in the area. The organisation is especially keen to provide opportunities for musicians to keep connecting, collaborating, and performing, during what remains a very uncertain time.
At a time when performers may be unable to enjoy the support of audiences, organisations like the Devon Youth Chamber Brass aim to plug the gap and help young musicians gain experience of performing.
The group’s innovative Remote Recording Project allowed the musicians to remain in their own homes, then later blended their individual recordings to create a powerful group performance! The original piece, entitled New Beginnings, was specifically composed for this project by Sam Massey.
Several brass players who began their education in Devon are now highly successful professional musicians, and proud Devon brass alumni. They plan to return regularly to assist the organisation and support its newest members with workshops, advice, and exclusive performances.
Devon brass alumni include Tom White, formerly of Okehampton, who is now a leading session musician, recording with the likes of Olly Murs and Emeli Sandé; Ryan Jacob, formerly of Braunton Academy, whose performance credits including Bonobo and Chronixx as a leading session trumpet player. Additionally, the Repiano Cornet player, Hannah Plumridge — previously of Churston Grammar School — now performs in the world's number one brass band, The Cory Band.
Other notable alumni include Katy Woolley (formerly of The Maynard School) who is now Principal Horn of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra in Amsterdam; Sub-Principal Trombone at the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra in Glasgow, Jonathan Hollick of Plymouth; and Ed Hilton (formerly Braunton Academy) now tours with the dazzling UK production of Les Misérables as a bass trombonist.
There are currently over thirty musicians involved in the recording project — and twenty-three students from all over Devon, Bristol, and Wells are involved.
And now the Devon Youth Chamber Brass group is seeking more members! All brass instrumentalists are welcome to get in touch and get involved, but students should be competent sheet music readers (working at approximately ABRSM/Trinity Grade 4 or above). Anyone interested in joining Devon Youth Chamber Brass can contact the team through their website.
Devon Youth Chamber Brass is excited to provide ongoing performance and recording opportunities, workshops, and musical education for brass instrumentalists all across the region.
About Devon Youth Chamber Brass: Devon Youth Chamber Brass was founded by British composer and musical director, Sam Massey. The organisation supports young musicians in the Devon area with workshops and education.
There are no posted comments.
- The Top 5 Trip-Hop Albums Of All Time
- Xeyoa Fans are on Edge Awaiting Upcoming Project: ‘Stars’
- How Technology Can Assist Everyone in the Battle Against Dyslexia. Don't let it get in the way of your reading.
- A Chamber Group Is More Fun Than A Party
- Four Of The Fabulous Folk Albums Released In Recent Years
- Quick rundown on Music Sync licensing
- #GetToKnow: Snazzy Who is Poised to Take the Charts by Storm
- Harry Potter retold new book, Terrie, The Sorcerer, released and news about it
- Sultan Road Excerpt
- How Music Changed The World
- Edgy ideas that influence a poet
- Norman Music Festival Announces Its Comeback In 2022! - Know About The Summer Sound Check Series
- COP26 and Amazon's contradiction towards protecting the world
- What is General Knowledge, and what is it for?
- Serving others brings out the finest in us
- 5 Reason to start a Podcast
- The Changing Face of Music
- The Loudest Bands In History: 10 Ear-Splitting Acts Who’ll Batter Your Brain With Sound
- The World’s Loudest Classical Music
- An Exploration of Androgyny and the Revival of Rock & Roll
- Maria Pellicano explores Family Constellations with her heartfelt single, ‘My Gift Of Love’
- Born To Raise Decibels: Inside The Loudest Band Of All Time
- How to Transfer Songs from Spotify to iTunes
- From Baroque To Rock: The Surprising Similarities Between Classical And Modern Music
- Songwriter Gifted Pen Hired For To Write The Hits
- A Portrait Of A Ghostwriter
- Can't Stop The Music Down On Music Row
- 5 Ways To Experience More Music
- The Authors World
- PANDEMIC BOOK BOOM IN AUSTRALIA