Do You Really Understand Human Machine Interface (HMI) - HMI Q&A
- Author Jane Yu
- Published May 2, 2021
- Word count 766
Q1: Is HMI only used to connect to PLC?
That's not true. HMI products are originally produced to solve the problem of PLC human-computer interaction. But with the development of computer technology and digital circuit technology, much industrial control equipment has a serial communication interface ability. So as long as there is a serial communication interface ability of the industrial control equipment, such as VFD (variable frequency drive), DC speed regulator, temperature control instrument, and data acquisition module, they can be connected to HMI products to realize the human-computer interaction function.
Q2: What is the difference between HMI and "touch screen"?
Strictly speaking, there is an essential difference between them. Because "touch screen" is only the hardware part that may be used in HMI products, which is an input device installed in the front of the display screen to replace some functions of mouse and keyboard. HMI products are a type of human-machine interaction device that includes hardware and software. In the industry, it is not scientific that people often call the HMI products with touch input function "touch screen".
Q3: Is there an operating system in HMI products?
HMI products have a system software component. The system software runs in the HMI processor, supporting multitasking. The processor needs a small management system software to run. In the high-performance HMI products based on the tablet computer, WinCE, Linux, and other general embedded operating systems are commonly used.
Q4: What's the difference between HMI and supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA)?
HMI products are often called a "touch screen", contain HMI hardware and corresponding special SCADA software. In general, HMI hardware of different manufacturers use different SCADA software, and the main type of equipment connected is PLC.
SCADA software is a general tool software running on the PC hardware platform and Windows operating system, and it can also constitute HMI products together with PC or Industrial computer.
General SCADA software supports different types of equipment, including PLC, PC board cards, instruments, VFD, modules. Moreover, due to the strong performance of the PC hardware platform (mainly reflected in the speed and storage capacity), the SCADA software has many strong functions, which are suitable for large monitoring systems.
Q5: Can the device with a communication function be connected to the HMI product?
It's true normally. Because the universal HMI products provide a large number of commonly used device communication drivers to choose from. Generally, the communication connection between HMI and the device can be completed as long as the communication driver corresponding to the connected device is selected in the SCADA software of the HMI products.
If there is no communication driver to be connected with the device in the SCADA software of the HMI product, the user can inform the HMI product manufacturer of the communication port type and protocol content of the device to be connected, and ask the manufacturer to compile the communication driver of the device.
Q6: Is HMI connected to devices only by a standard serial communication interface?
Most of the time. With the development of computer technology and digital circuit technology, the interface capability of HMI products is getting stronger and stronger. In addition to the traditional serial (RS232, RS422/RS485) communication interfaces, some HMI products with data interfaces such as network interface, parallel interface, and USB interface which can be connected to industrial control devices with the same interfaces to realize human-machine interaction of devices.
Q7: Can a PC with a touch screen communicate directly with PLC to complete the HMI function?
Sure. It is of importance that the corresponding HMI software should be compiled to make the PC a real HMI product.
Q8: What is the trend of HMI?
With the development of digital circuit technology and computer technology, the functional gradation of future HMI products will be less and less necessary, and the functions of HMI will be more and more abundant. The screen of HMI products which is more than 5.7 inches will be all colour display, whose service life will be longer.
Due to the reduced cost of computer hardware, tablet PC will be taken as the high-end products of HMI hardware. It's because such products have great advantages in processor speed, storage capacity, types and quantity of communication interfaces, networking ability and software resource sharing, which is the development direction of HMI products in the future.
Of course, functions of small-sized HMI products with display size less than 5.7 inches are further enhanced (such as adding IO functions), as well as their size and price, so that they will be widely used in HMI applications of small mechanical devices.
OKmarts is the one-stop online industrial parts provider for refrigeration compressors, servo drive, amplifier, hydraulic pumps and more.
We stock and sell Compressors, Servo Motors and Drives, HMIs, Encoders, Light Curtains, Sensors, VFDs, Soft Starters, Thyristors, Solenoid Valves and Coils, Air Cylinders, Gearboxes, Linear Guideways, Actuators, Transmitters, Flowmeters, Power Supplies, Transformers, Expansion Valves, Circuit Breakers, etc.
Website URL: https://www.okmarts.com/Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Why your business needs cloud services?
- Industry 4.0 and Smart Factories
- What is Configuration Software - HMI MMI SCADA
- Basics of Industrial Control System and the Use of PLC
- Different Types of Pressure Transmitters, Working Principle, and How to Select Pressure Transmitter
- Rise of Digital Car Control Console and Application of Embedded HMI System
- How to Install Hollow Shaft Encoders, Problems & Solutions
- Programmable devices for IoT
- How to Install Hollow Shaft Encoders, Problems & Solutions
- How to Install Encoders - Best Practices
- VFD Basics - How VFD Controls the Motor Running?
- Study on the Performance of Single Phase AC-DC-AC Inverter Circuit
- Advantages of VFD for HVAC System
- Piston Compressor Basics — Structure, Working Principle, Advantages and Disadvantages
- What Are the Factors to Consider When Selecting Rotary Encoders?
- Air Compressor Troubleshooting and Solutions
- Develop and maintain multiple database engines with one platform
- Programmable MQTT Devices - NORVI
- How to Use a Rotary Encoder?
- Factors to Consider When Selecting Rotary Encoders
- Comparison of central air conditioning- Toshiba vs Mitsubishi vs Daikin
- Maintenance of Absolute Encoders
- Automotive Companies only Access 5% of their Vehicle Data
- How to Earn Free Robux in Roblox
- It’s Time to Fast-Track Your Managed IT Services Like The Pros in 2021
- What Are the Major Causes of Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) Damage?
- POST PRODUCTION SERVICES
- Beta Testing – An Informative Guide
- Our Windows App Got Better with New App-Based Troubleshooting Features