Basics of Industrial Control System and the Use of PLC
- Author Jane Yu
- Published May 7, 2021
- Word count 632
The components of the industrial control system (ICS) can be roughly divided into two categories according to their location: control centre equipment and remote site equipment.
The control centre equipment is located in the system control centre, including human-machine interface (HMI), engineer workstation and historian.
Remote site equipment is a kind of equipment that is resident in the production site and directly connected to actuators and sensors. Its main function is to supervise and control the physical process.
Although field devices usually do not interact with people directly, they are more likely to be attacked and damaged because the production site is not as secure as the control centre.
The human-machine interface (HMI), sometimes called the SCADA system, is a system that allows the operator to monitor and control the process.
A human-machine interface (HMI) program is usually a pure software application program running on a general-purpose computer, which generally runs in Microsoft Windows operating system environment. Common HMI programs in the industrial field include Wonderware, WinCC of Siemens, RSView of Rockwell and Areva E-terra.
Historian is a database server that records the state history of the process control system. In some cases, if the function of the historian is powerful enough, it can also be used as an HMI of the control system. Historian, a history server, usually runs on mainstream operating systems and common hardware devices and usually has image backup in the enterprise network.
Remote station equipment includes PLC, RTU, IED and relay. Although the functions of these devices are quite different, they can be roughly combined according to their location and similarity.
In addition, the hardware structures used in these devices are similar, generally providing analog or digital I / O and control functions. They read data directly from sensors and send operating instructions to actuators. In some cases, they are connected with other field devices.
In this article, the equipment is simplified. In fact, these devices mentioned above ( PLC, RTU, IED and electronic relay) perform a certain function subset in the object relationship model (ORM) of the control system.
For example, RTU is usually a SCADA system, which only provides the function of field I / O control. Sampling is carried out by field I / O sensor. In individual cases, RTU will generate a trigger for the actuator.
The electronic relay will always perform the sampling and triggering functions. RTU will generate status data field points and sometimes process command data field points. The relay will generate status data field points, but it is unlikely to process the data field points of the command. RTU generally has no local control function, but relay has this function. In addition to communication with sensors, actuators and upper control functions, PLC also has important local control functions. These functions seem similar, but they are very different in ORM.
The common commercial PC running HMI communicates with field devices such as PLC through standard network protocol (such as Ethernet). Engineer station and historical database are also common commercial PC or server, which communicate with field equipment through a standard network protocol. Field bus and other industrial control protocols based on Ethernet are used to connect field devices to other field devices. Some field devices use RS232 or RS485 standard serial bus communication protocol to connect with intelligent devices. Some field devices are directly connected with sensors, I / O devices and mechanical devices.
PLC is a field device that can be directly connected to sensors and actuators or other field devices. PLC is controlled locally by the logic program (the format is generally defined according to IEC 61131–3 standard) and can receive control command and query request from HMI through control system communication protocol. PLC can be modular or combined into a compact fixed shape, but the two types basically use the same underlying components.
OKmarts is the one-stop online industrial parts provider for refrigeration compressors, servo drive, amplifier, hydraulic pumps and more.
We stock and sell Compressors, Servo Motors and Drives, HMIs, Encoders, Light Curtains, Sensors, VFDs, Soft Starters, Thyristors, Solenoid Valves and Coils, Air Cylinders, Gearboxes, Linear Guideways, Actuators, Transmitters, Flowmeters, Power Supplies, Transformers, Expansion Valves, Circuit Breakers, etc.
Website URL: https://okmarts.com/plc.htmlArticle source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Top Benefits of PHP in Web Solution
- WooCommerce in WordPress
- HOW TO OBTAIN MICROSOFT'S WINDOWS 11 UPGRADE FOR FREE(IF YOU'RE ELIGIBLE)
- Enhance Your Cross-Data SQL Capabilities with Database Workbench Pro
- Innovative Strategies for the Post-Pandemic Era
- Create Customized Desktop Productivity Shortcuts with QnE Companion
- Efficient Multi-Boot and Drive Partition Management with BootIt Collection
- Top 10 Sensors Types for Industrial Internet of Things
- Easily Convert and Open QuarkXPress Docs in Different Apps Using QXPMarkz
- 11 Graphic Designing Trends to Look Out For in 2021
- WordPress development: an agency or a freelance developer
- Why is owning a boat very expensive?
- Top 10 Grocery Delivery Mobile Apps in 2021
- What Does Cyclonis Password Manager Do to Protect Your Passwords?
- Essential Guide On Interlocking Plenum Armored Fiber Optic Cable
- Hikvision Thermal CCTV Cameras for Perimeter Security in SMEs
- Digital Onboarding and No-code Platforms
- 6 Myths of Charging Smartphones Batteries that are Wrong
- Photoshop Color Correction Service, Multi-color Photos from a single Photoshoot
- Darlox Electronic Limited: Fpc laminated structure
- The future development direction of artificial intelligence
- Smart Home Technology
- Monster Hunter World (MHW) Layered Armour
- Significance of Software testing services
- Berry Producer Finds More Value in SIMBA Than Expected.
- How to Find Phone With Cell Number - Find Out Who Your Partner is Calling Today!
- How Disaster Recovery Differs From Data Backup
- Digital Fashion Technology Explained
- CAN THE NBA BRING NFTS TO THE MAINSTREAM?
- Benefits of Game Modding