Essential Guide On Interlocking Plenum Armored Fiber Optic Cable
- Author Allen Lu
- Published August 1, 2021
- Word count 470
As technology advances, the demand for improved data bandwidth increases. So, fiber optics are gradually replacing copper wires as the network backbone. These cables are installed in overhead ducts, conduits, or buried underground. Hence, they are prone to damage from bending under excessive physical strain or gnawing by rodents and pests. To ensure the cable laid out for extreme environments is protected against them, cable manufacturers also created a special line of Armored Fiber Optic Cable. The fiber core is protected with an aluminum armor helically covering the fiber or kevlar strands to protect the cable from crush force. An armored fiber optic cable with a helically wrapped aluminum armor and usually installed in the plenum area of the building is called Interlocking Plenum Armored Fiber Optic Cable.
Standard fiber optic cables have a glass core surrounded by a denser cladding and a PVC jacket for protection. Armored fiber optic cables go a step ahead and have a fire-retardant Aramid yarn between the cladding and the outer PVC covering. An aluminum covering is helically woven across the PVC jacket. As seen in the image below, the aluminum covering has ridges that offer crush protection to the cable without restricting the cable flexibility. Due to the way the ridges “interlock” with the preceding ridge, these cables are termed ‘interlocking armored fiber optic cable.’
How to terminate the cable
Due to the construction of the cable, you cannot implement traditional termination methods directly. Instead, a specialized tool called the BX & Armored Cable Cutter is used to slice the outer aluminum armor to access the inner fiber.
Once you have removed the outer jacket, exposing the aluminum armor, the tool is clamped into place. Then, by rotating the spindle, a small circular cutting blade cuts through the armor to make a small slit.
By gently flexing the cable, the armor separates, exposing the inner PVC jacket that can be terminated for attaching connectors.
Benefits & Applications of Armored Fiber Cables
The benefits of using armored fiber optic cable are:
Excellent attenuation performances
Protected from water or moisture penetration
Protection against rodents gnawing the cable
Flexible yet sturdy
Places where armored fiber cables are best suited are:
Data centers with underground cable laying.
Specialized cables with water block gel are used for underwater networks near shores.
Places where the cables need to be run in tight areas such as overhead conduits, ducts, or plenum area.
Fire & safety alarm systems.
Interlocking plenum armored fiber optic cable resulted from the need to have a network that provides high speed and bandwidth of the traditional fiber optic with additional protection measures for the harsh conditions. You buy them in bulk and have them terminated on the field or eliminate extra work by opting for pre-termination from the factory.
Allen Lu is a sales manager at Falcon Technologies, Inc. We are the best seller for pre-terminated fiber optic cable assemblies in the United States.https://articlebiz.com
- WHY LOW-CODE AND NO-CODE ARE CONSIDERED AS THE FUTURE OF APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT
- Nine Web Technologies That Every Web Developer Should Be aware of in 2022
- The Top Five WordPress Trends in Development to Watch for 2022
- A computer network and its components
- A computer network and its components
- WHAT PROBLEMS DOES THE LARAVEL PHP FRAMEWORK PROVIDE TO RESOLVE?
- How to Select the Best ReactJS Development Company
- Printer Ink is more Expensive than Champagne
- Know The Principles of a Good Website Design
- Find Out about the Eight WordPress Maintenance Tasks You Must Perform Regularly
- Best Documentaries about web development with GO VS RUST
- Mindblowing Facts About Why Web Design Companies Go For Anti Design Concept?
- How Digital Mall Mapping Platforms are Expanding the Omnichannel Shopping Experience for Retail Centers
- Benefits to hire dedicated software development team for your business
- Find out the Ecommerce Website Pitfalls that You Can Easily Avoid
- The Effects of Electromagnetic Field(EMF)
- Essential SEO tips for optimizing your site for high ranking
- Mind-Controlled Puppets
- Will Android Tablet ever catch up to the iPads? The answer is finally here.
- Yoast SEO vs. Rank Math – Which one to use and when?
- Most Worthy Pinterest Trends & Tips In 2021!
- Managing the Microsoft 365 tenant - Introduction to the admin centers
- PHP Vs Python: Which One is Really Superior for Web Development?
- How the Hell Exactly Would You Choose the Right Backend Technologies?
- Things to know about the search engine optimization for Multilingual and Multi-local Websites
- Norton 360 Standard Review: Best Antivirus Software in 2022
- How to do Prototyping for Mobile Applications
- How Web Application Firewall protects your website
- FIVE REASONS DIGITAL PR SHOULD BE A PART OF YOUR SEO STRATEGY