How To Repair A Damaged Roof? | i5 Exteriors
- Author Mike Jeffers
- Published September 21, 2021
- Word count 422
When installing shingles, make sure the nails are securely embedded in the felt and sheathing. Over time, the heat of the sun will cause the roof and shingles to expand, causing the nails to move out of place and thus increasing the risk of leakage.
Since the roof is sloping, make sure you layer the shingles from bottom to top, overlapping the top set with the bottom. This will ensure that your roof is protected from the all-weather elements.
Rent a nail gun. Most can be rented for around $20 a day. The gun usually comes with a measurement guide which can save a lot of time. The standard width between each row of shingles is 5 inches.
After clearing debris and remodeling the roof, lay a base (sheathing). Eight-foot, 1/2-inch-thick plywood is the standard sheathing material. Measure the opening of the portion of the roof to be shingled, cut the plywood to size, and nail the roof rafters. Stagger the sheathing in a brick pattern for added strength. Do not place the entire 8-foot section of plywood on the ceiling. Such a long piece is structurally unstable in the middle. Continue to install in the brick pattern, staggering the plywood seams until the open area is covered.
Lay Felt Paper
Start by stapling the 6-inch starter strip at the bottom section of roof leaving a 1-inch overhang on the eave to ensure drainage into the gutters. Going from bottom up, lay and nail the remaining felt layers with a 2-inch overlap. Be sure to nail the tar strip on each felt layer to ensure maximum hold.
Begin by stapling a 6-inch starter strip to the bottom of the roof, leaving a 1-inch overhang on the eave to ensure drainage in the gutter. From bottom to top, lay and nail the remaining layers of felt with a 2-inch overlap. Be sure to nail the tar strip to each felt layer to ensure maximum grip.
Lay the first row of shingles starting at a bottom corner of the roof. Place a base row of shingles following the chalk lines on the felt and move upward in a pyramid shape. Use six nails per shingle to ensure maximum hold, and be sure to always nail on the tar strip. Continue working your way across and up the roof, following your initial pyramid base. If repairing a section of damaged roof, be sure you layer the existing shingles on top of the new. This will ensure a uniform and seamless look.
I5 Exteriors, Inc is based out of Vancouver, WA and Long Beach,WA. We've enjoyed serving Vancouver & the Portland surrounding area for the past 20 years. I 5 Exteriors, Inc is a platinum installer for TREX decking, Emerald installer for Malarky roofing and do fantastic work for: -Roofs -Gutters -Siding -Windows -Decks/Patios -Awnings -Carport -Paver Stones We offer an abundance of great payment options including a no payment option for a year after install.https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- A Few Tips For Electronics Recycling
- What is a Level 2 Electrician & Why You May Need One
- Why You Should Look Into Epoxy Coatings for Concrete
- Five Tips When Doing Kitchen Renovations in the Gold Coast
- Biomass boiler - The most important advantages of biomass boiler
- 7 Tips To Choose The Best Carpet For Your Home
- Best Ways to Move Across the Country
- The Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Right Bathroom Mirror for Your Home
- How Often Should I Get My Car Serviced?
- What Makes Epoxy Resin Flooring Stand Out?
- Why Epoxy Floor Coatings Are The #1 Choice For Residential Garages
- Syd Epoxy Flooring Contractors Want To Come Work For You
- The Most Common Reasons for Blocked Drains
- What are the main advantagous of epoxy flooring?
- Get the Best Epoxy Flooring Sydney
- How to secure your home with smart home technology
- Power Tool Accessories
- 5 Electrical Tips When Moving Homes
- How To Build a Quality Australian Deck
- How to make your Bathroom Renovation More Functional
- What Is The Average Cost To Epoxy Garage Floors?
- Pest Control Checklist for Every House
- 7 Reasons Why Your Drains Might Be Blocked
- What You Need to Know Before Buying a Toilet Fill Valve
- Effortless Ways To Properly Maintain Your Roof
- The Primary Uses Of Concrete
- Cleaning Up After A Renovation: What Your Best Options Are
- Couch Disposal Guide: What To Do With Unwanted Furniture
- Kitchen Remodeling Trends in Fort Collins