How To Repair A Damaged Roof? | i5 Exteriors
- Author Mike Jeffers
- Published September 21, 2021
- Word count 422
When installing shingles, make sure the nails are securely embedded in the felt and sheathing. Over time, the heat of the sun will cause the roof and shingles to expand, causing the nails to move out of place and thus increasing the risk of leakage.
Since the roof is sloping, make sure you layer the shingles from bottom to top, overlapping the top set with the bottom. This will ensure that your roof is protected from the all-weather elements.
Rent a nail gun. Most can be rented for around $20 a day. The gun usually comes with a measurement guide which can save a lot of time. The standard width between each row of shingles is 5 inches.
After clearing debris and remodeling the roof, lay a base (sheathing). Eight-foot, 1/2-inch-thick plywood is the standard sheathing material. Measure the opening of the portion of the roof to be shingled, cut the plywood to size, and nail the roof rafters. Stagger the sheathing in a brick pattern for added strength. Do not place the entire 8-foot section of plywood on the ceiling. Such a long piece is structurally unstable in the middle. Continue to install in the brick pattern, staggering the plywood seams until the open area is covered.
Lay Felt Paper
Start by stapling the 6-inch starter strip at the bottom section of roof leaving a 1-inch overhang on the eave to ensure drainage into the gutters. Going from bottom up, lay and nail the remaining felt layers with a 2-inch overlap. Be sure to nail the tar strip on each felt layer to ensure maximum hold.
Begin by stapling a 6-inch starter strip to the bottom of the roof, leaving a 1-inch overhang on the eave to ensure drainage in the gutter. From bottom to top, lay and nail the remaining layers of felt with a 2-inch overlap. Be sure to nail the tar strip to each felt layer to ensure maximum grip.
Lay the first row of shingles starting at a bottom corner of the roof. Place a base row of shingles following the chalk lines on the felt and move upward in a pyramid shape. Use six nails per shingle to ensure maximum hold, and be sure to always nail on the tar strip. Continue working your way across and up the roof, following your initial pyramid base. If repairing a section of damaged roof, be sure you layer the existing shingles on top of the new. This will ensure a uniform and seamless look.
I5 Exteriors, Inc is based out of Vancouver, WA and Long Beach,WA. We've enjoyed serving Vancouver & the Portland surrounding area for the past 20 years. I 5 Exteriors, Inc is a platinum installer for TREX decking, Emerald installer for Malarky roofing and do fantastic work for: -Roofs -Gutters -Siding -Windows -Decks/Patios -Awnings -Carport -Paver Stones We offer an abundance of great payment options including a no payment option for a year after install.https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- How to repair leaking roof?
- How to fix a leaking pipe?
- 7 Types of Waterproofing Materials Explained
- Energy bills, how to reduce them in 2022
- Everything You Need to Know about Asphalt Shingle Roof?
- KNEE SAVER ELECTRICAL BOX
- Factors to Consider Before Hiring a Roofing Company
- Updating Your Home with Artificial Lawn
- Builders: Gold Coast Renovators
- THERMOGRAPHY & WATER DAMAGE RESTORATION
- How To Keep Your Stainless Steel Balustrade Looking Like New
- '4' Types Of Roof Damages
- The Cost of Professional Outdoor Lighting Explained
- Five Things to Consider When Shopping for a Splashback
- How Many Brits Genuinely Understand Food Labels?
- The Top 4 Benefits of Installing Solar Panels on Your Home
- The Great Benefits Of Trenchless Pipe Lining
- Common Trenchless Pipe Lining Questions And Answers
- Should I use Standard Garden Lights or Solar Garden Lights?
- Are Blackout Blinds a Good Choice for a Baby’s Nursery?
- ICE DAMS & WATER DAMAGE RESTORATION
- FROZEN PIPES & WATER DAMAGE
- Why You Should Clean Refrigerator Condenser Coils
- How to Prepare Your Home for Winters The Right Way
- DOES YOUR AC NEED A REPAIR?
- Solar thermal panel for water heating
- Cost of installing central air conditioning and how to save money on it
- Most Common Electrical Incidents and How to Avoid Them
- Different Forms Of Epoxy Resin
- A Few Tips For Electronics Recycling