How Lab Managers Can Further Improve Safety Throughout 2022
- Author Aaron Milnthorpe
- Published July 4, 2022
- Word count 519
Amidst the ongoing threat of the Coronavirus and the rising demand for the development of innovative new treatments, the life sciences and healthcare markets are under increased scrutiny.
Both commercial and academic laboratories need to be working efficiently and safely, but this can be a challenge, particularly when labs already have stringent health and safety standards.
With skills shortages and the pandemic reducing the efficiency of scientific laboratories, it’s vital that any health and safety tools or procedures save time and are effective.
So, how can laboratory managers improve health and safety in their labs without slowing down the discovery and production of cutting-edge new treatments? We explore a selection of smart tips for modern scientific team leaders.
Use High-Tech Fume Extraction Systems
Getting rid of contaminants in the air is in focus right now, thanks to the pandemic. In most labs, clean air and fume cupboards are a vital requirement, but some older tech can require a lot of maintenance and doesn’t give the best results. Check out companies like TION, which specialise in fume extraction systems and are dedicated to creating safer labs with solutions that last. By exploring cutting-edge tech, you can make your lab safe for users and reduce the chances of airborne cross-contamination. It will also reduce downtime for your lab and ensure that your staff don’t have to spend as much time on maintenance and cleaning as they might with older, less efficient fume extraction tools.
Plan Regular Health And Safety Meetings
To ensure that health and safety are always at the front of everyone’s mind in your lab, you should consider conducting regular health and safety meetings. These could be quick, informal chats or more serious sit-down meetings. These meetings will help you to ensure that everyone is always aware of changes in the lab and how they will affect health and safety procedures. Regular meetings can also help you to stay on top of any incidents and get feedback from your team, which you can then use to inform your future policy amendments and changes to health and safety procedures. These meetings will also help you to reassure your team that you remain dedicated to keeping them safe while they go about their vital work.
Increase And Improve Labelling Across The Lab
Correct labelling and clear instructions are both vital for safety in any lab. Most experienced lab staff should be aware of common warning labels and signs in the lab. That being said, it could be useful to consider offering additional training for any new staff or non-clinical team members. You should also regularly check that warning labels are still clear and easily readable and replace any that are now unclear and worn. If you’re concerned that warning labels aren’t easily visible, then consider adding more or making them larger to ensure that everyone can clearly and quickly see them and act accordingly.
Safety is and always will be a key focus for any laboratory manager. While it’s impossible to eradicate accidents completely, you can prevent them by using tips such as these.
There are no posted comments.
- Can You Paint Aluminum Window Frames?
- Running with Anterior Compartment Syndrome
- Phone chargers for festivals: How to keep them charged!
- Expert Advice For Tree Service
- How to deal with Ankylosing Spondylitis?
- How to know if you have an Achilles tendon rupture?
- Those Who Live In Glass Houses Should Not Throw Stones
- The Most Asked Questions About Pharmacies in Ireland
- Three Presidents
- Dealing with an accessory navicular
- Are Aluminum Canoes any good?
- WHAT!? “Birth Control Pills” as Alternative Pigeon Control Method
- Can you use cimetidine for warts?
- Can you run a marathon barefoot?
- What is Aluminum Trim and What Types of Aluminum Trim exist?
- What is a gait analysis used for?
- What is the first species of bird to chirp at dawn, and why?
- How do I get rid of raccoons living near my home?
- eToro Ireland
- European Holidays For Culture Vultures: A Guide To Summer 2022
- What is the strongest metal?
- Where to learn how to Trade Stocks for Beginners?
- 5 tips to become a good freelance writer
- How to Invest in Stocks for Beginners?
- How Do Remove Raccoons From The Wall Cavity?
- What Are Aluminum Sheets Used For?
- Things to know about the search engine optimization for Multilingual and Multi-local Websites
- How Does a Gen-Z Millionaire Spend His Day: FX Trader Aman Momin Takes Us For a Ride
- A Brief History of Aluminum
- 3 Benefits of Giving Trophies and Awards to Employees