6 valuable tips for using an international SIM card in Ireland
Computers & Technology → Technology
- Author Elena Miller
- Published January 3, 2023
- Word count 1,014
One of the biggest nightmares of traveling abroad is paying extremely high international roaming charges to stay in touch with your loved ones back home, and if you are looking for a resolution to this problem, you have landed on the right page!
The most sought-after way of avoiding unwanted roaming charges is to get an international data roaming SIM card. This will not only allow you to talk, text, and chat overseas without any restrictions, but will also let you make local calls at the most affordable rates. Whether you are traveling for a fortnight, month, or even more, there would be a prepaid plan to suit your international calling as well as data needs.
Why should you get a local SIM card for international calling when travelling abroad?
• If you are going on a short leisure trip with your family where WhatsApp calling is banned, you will need a SIM card that has international calling enabled.
• If you are travelling to an EU country, some of them follow a mandatory SIM registration process so you may need to get your ID registered and verified.
Hence, Lyca Mobile is a preferred MVNO service provider in EU countries as it offers contract-less service which does not require registration and unlimited plans that have free EU roaming and better offers compared to an MNO service provider.
Below mentioned are some of the most important tips to consider before getting a prepaid international SIM card.
- Carry an unlocked phone
First things first, you must have a global unlocked phone so that you can easily switch SIM cards from different phone companies. A locked phone will have multiple restrictions and you will need to continue with the same carrier as your home country.
Not sure if your phone is unlocked? Do one of the following to figure it out:
• Ask your operator
• Insert another SIM card into your phone and check if it recognizes the other operator’s network
• Search one of the many sites on the web to get your phone’s IMEI – a unique number that identifies your phone or dial *#06# on your phone and the IMEI will flash on the screen
You should even consider getting a cheaper handset for travel if you are worried about losing your expensive smartphone while on the go. Also, get to know how you can access the SIM card. This information can come in handy in case of impromptu phone damage. Moreover, different devices have different SIM card sizes. It is always good to know which size fits your phone beforehand.
- Evaluate your length of stay, phone usage, and travel style
Before you get a prepaid international SIM card, make a note of your actual requirement. How many days have you planned to stay? How many calls do you need to make on average? How much internet data will you need? Upon arrival at the destination, you will find booths at the airport that would be selling SIM cards. If you have evaluated your usage in advance, getting a required prepaid plan will be easier. If you are traveling to a single country for a couple of months, you may want it to feel like home. Depending on how tourist-friendly the country is, select your service provider wisely.
- Save your new number and share it with friends and family
When you get your new international SIM card the very first thing you must do is check the packaging, make note of your new number and save it in your phone book. Not just that, but also remember the country code (If someone with a non-local number calls you, they should enter + and then enter the country code before the number). You will thank yourself later for keeping it handy when in need.
- Store your SIM card in a pill box
When you are traveling, you usually end up carrying multiple teeny tiny things and one such important thing is your SIM card. This card has a miraculous power to go missing any time of the day for its sheer small size of it. Hence, a small and enclosed pill box case is ideal for storing SIM cards. When you get back home, you can easily find your local SIM card and restore it to your device.
- Be aware of SIM card-related language barriers
Just imagine being in a foreign land where English is not a widely spoken language and you get a SIM card with a default language other than English. That might feel gibberish to you, and you may feel stuck, not knowing what to do. Most countries have English as a language option when activating, topping up, or changing your prepaid plan, although not all. So, it is always good to be careful when in doubt and do your SIM swapping at a local booth.
- Avoid updating Communication Apps
Updating an app overseas will drain a lot of mobile data which you can use for surfing otherwise. If at all you need to update apps, make sure you do it before stepping out of your home country. Moreover, if you update a communication app like Whatsapp in a different country with a different number, it will give you a number conflict and will ask if you want to update your number. If you do so, you may lose all the data from your local number. Also, make sure to turn off mobile data wherever Wi-fi is available. It will just help you to save a few MBs for later.
Whether for work or pleasure, traveling to a new country is an unforgettable experience. So, while you explore the unknown land, make sure you create memories that will stay forever. Get back home with goodies for loved ones and before you make your next local call in the home country, don’t forget to swap the SIM card that’s safely stored in the pill box. If you own a dual SIM phone, it is even easier – just remove the international SIM card and save it in case you plan to travel to the same country soon.
Hi, I am Elena MIiller. I have been writing for telecom industry since last 5 years. Here is my short contribution to telecom industry that might help the users as well. Here is my website - https://www.lycamobile.ie/en/6-valuable-tips-for-using-an-international-sim-card-in-ireland/Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Recognizing and Preventing Hard Drive Failure: Safeguarding Your Data
- MPMsoft to AllMed PM: Empowering Medical Practices with Comprehensive Billing Software
- The Rewards of Owning Your Own Medical Billing Business: Empowering Flexibility, Income Potential, and Software Excellence
- Off-Site Medical Billers: The Solution for Small Practices
- Streamline Your Medical Billing Process with Advanced Medical Billing Software
- Take a Step Towards a Greener Future with LED Lighting
- Creative Fabrica, AI Text to Image Generator
- From Predictive Maintenance to Autonomous Robots: Harnessing the Power of AI and ML in Manufacturing
- Elcomsoft Phone Viewer - View, Analyze, and Export Phone Data with Ease
- 10 Essential Features Your Ecommerce Website Design Must Have
- The Role of Telemedicine in Disaster Response and Emergency Care
- BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and Asset Inspection Management
- Seven Realities of CRM Success and How to Address Them
- Exploring the Potential of Virtual Reality in Education: Benefits, Challenges, and Future Developments
- How We Measure Software Quality
- 100 Days of Code: The Challenge That Made Me Question My Sanity!
- The Intersection of Technology and Education: Navigating the Future Together
- Why Webflow is the Right Choice for Medium to Enterprise Level Businesses
- A Quick Guide to Get Started With WordPress.
- Custom Software Development Company
- 15 Companies That Use Salesforce CRM and How They Benefit
- Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) in Construction
- Benefits of Integrating WebChat Into Modern Web Apps
- Benefits Of Managed IT Services and Why Businesses in Irvine Should Consider Them?
- Choosing the correct mobile device for your inspection requirements
- Top Essential WordPress Plugins for Basic Website Development
- Cryptocurrency success story
- The Kosher Smartphone: Your Ultimate Guide to a Tech-Savvy Jewish Life
- Game On: The Power of Gamification in STEM Education
- Why iOS App Development Services Are Essential for Your Business