How to Grow Healthy Tomatoes from Seeds
- Author Sheila Mccoy
- Published November 16, 2023
- Word count 479
How to Grow Healthy Tomatoes from Seeds
Do you struggle with growing healthy tomatoes? Common problems that tomato growers experience include:
Blossom end rot (black patches appear on the bottom of the tomato)
Blossom drop (flowers appear but fall off without tomatoes developing)
Catfacing (tomatoes appear deformed) and
Viral diseases (black spots or weird stripes appear on the tomato); these are just few common problems.
These common problems are usually the result of over fertilizing, not enough light, overwatering or underwatering and poor soil nutrients.
Seedlings vs. Seeds; what’s the difference? Seedlings are seeds that have just sprouted and are ready to be transplanted, seeds are seeds and there is a process before they can be transplanted. Most people grow their tomatoes from seedlings because it is easier, however, there are advantages to growing tomatoes from seeds such as cost effectiveness, more control over the type of soil you use and more variety of seeds to choose from. With the right timing and technique, you can easily grow tomatoes from seeds at home.
The trick to growing from seeds is temperature, humidity, nutrition and light. Check out this simple guide on how to grow tomatoes from seeds:
Temperature and Humidity
Check when the last frost is likely to be in your local area; plant the seeds around 8 weeks before the last frost date and keep them warm in your house.
Always use a "starter" seedling potting mix because it will usually already contain the right nutrient balance and be finely sieved to ensure the little seeds can push through the soil and germinate properly. Pot them as you would any other seed – an inch below the surface of the soil in a small pot or seedling tray.
Make sure that you mist spray them every day and keep the soil at around 27C (80F) to encourage growth.
Make sure they receive at least 5 hours of sunlight per day. Placing them on the window sill works well.
Once you see the first 3 or 4 leaves, it's time to gently prick the tiny plants out of the starter pot and place each one into its own separate larger pot to encourage root growth. You can start placing them outside for several hours per day to harden them up.
When the last frost has passed it's time to transplant them into your prepared garden bed or final pot.
The end result will be the most delicious and healthiest tomatoes all grown from seeds. The tastiest ones of all are the heirlooms. There are thousands of delicious heirloom varieties and quite a few online seed sellers who specialize in providing heirloom seeds. Further details of the thousands of delicious heirloom varieties and seed sellers are included in the world’s largest tomato database which comes with; How to Grow Juicy Tasty Tomatoes - printed version or e-book available at (see URL)
My name is Sheila, I am doing this thing that we call LIFE and am on a journey to become a better me, basically through lifestyle changes (mentally, physically and spiritually). I am a Licensed Master Social Worker and in my downtime, I absolutely enjoy planting my own herbs that I use to cook with and to make teas.https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- The Art and Joy of Latte Art: How to Draw on Latte
- Unlock the Secrets Behind Our Christmas Dinner Traditions!
- Affordable Ways To Eat Healthy: How To Nourish Your Body Without Breaking The Bank
- Cooking as a Form of Self-Care
- Title: Nutrition and Diet: A Comprehensive Guide
- The Delightful World of Food: Exploring Flavors, Cultures, and Nourishment
- Processed Foods and Their Implications for Public Health in Western Societies (Western Diets vs Eastern Cuisine)
- Zanti Cucina Italiana
- The Surprising Health Benefits Of Eating Spicy Food
- 3 Food Experiences To Try Before You Die
- Why is Cardamom "The Queen of Spices"?
- Valentine’s Day Cooking Love: 4 Romantic Meals to Cook
- Mabroc Tea
- Is Spanish food really all that?
- Yummy Apple Cider Pancake Recipes
- The Best Biriyani Dishes in London: Order Yours Today!
- The Complete Cacao Master List
- Best coffee in the world
- How To Cook a Whole Chicken: All The Details You Need to Know
- 8 Best Tailgate Items to Keep You Warm and Satisfied All Day
- The Importance of Gums, Emulsifiers, & Stabilizers in Food Prep
- 4th of July Grilling Ideas: Delicious Recipes for Your BBQ Party!
- 4 Questions to address before buying coffee
- How Does Salt Affect Your Smile?
- Why Premium?
- The Most Inspiring Immigrants in Atlantic Canada 2022
- What Do We Find in Stores When We Look for Extra Virgin Olive Oil?
- Food Shortage
- Calcium and wellbeing