What is a Pashmina?
- Author Blair Rhodes
- Published October 11, 2006
- Word count 478
What exactly a pashmina is has become a bit confusing. Over a period of time, the name "pashmina" has become basically a catch-all name for almost any fashionable shawl, wrap, stole or scarf. It is this generic use of the term that creates confusion among would-be buyers and wearers.
In short, Pashmina is actually the type material itself, which is a type of wool harvested from a particular breed of goat found naturally in the high altitudes of the Himalayan Mountains. It is fine quality cashmere. Because they live over 14,000 feet above sea level, these unique goats grow a very thin inner coat of hair that insulates them during the extremely harsh Himalayan winters. It is this unique inner coat of hair that is used to produce pashmina. Each hair is about 1/6th the diameter of most other types of hair - but is still surprisingly durable while being stunningly soft and comforting to human skin. For thousands of years, the fleece from the goat has been utilized in the production of high quality fashion accessories such as shawls, wraps, and scarves.
These warm and soft fashion accessories have been manufactured in Kashmir and Nepal for thousands of years. In Nepal, they were called "pashmina" and in Kashmir, they were typically called "Kashmiri wool shawls". Both are basically the same, just using different names. But during the popular shawl trend in the 1990s, "pashmina" became the most recognized term.
What is known as a pashmina may be an accessory composed of pure pashmina or a pashmina/silk blend. The blend ratio can vary, but the most common is 70% pashmina wool and 30% silk. A pashmina shawl will typically be about 36"x80", a wrap/stole is about 28"x80", and a scarf/muffler will be around 12"x80".
A pashmina is a very versatile accessory, whether it is a shawl, wrap, or scarf. The most popular website showing examples of how to wear one is from the television show "Oprah". This can be found at http://www.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/tows_2000/tows_past_20000306_c.jhtml.
Pashmina care is actually fairly easy and with proper care a pashmina can last a long, long time. While dry-cleaning is suggested, you may wash in cold water and a gentle shampoo, such as baby shampoo. Be careful if there are any tassels since they may unwind. Then lay the item flat to dry, do not wring dry. A warm iron is okay, but it is best to put a piece of paper or fabric between the iron and the pashmina. Store your pashmina in a bag away from moisture and light, as well as damaging insects.
Once you have worn one, you will most likely become a pashmina addict. They are truly a wonderful way to dress up even a casual outfit or to accentuate more formal attire. They look great and feel even better.
Blair Rhodes has been involved in the pashmina business since 2000 with The Pashmina Store, http://www.thepashminastore.com , one of the leading online pashmina retailers in North America. After earning an MBA at the University of Texas at Austin, Blair travelled with family to Nepal and Kashmir, where they discovered the joys of the culture and the traditions of quality pashmina production.Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- The Children and Babywear brand to look out for this spring!
- Top Tips to Choose the Best Mascara for You
- Women's tights - trends spring/summer 2022
- What is the Best Setting for an Engagement Ring?
- Comfortable Shoes for Men – Shoes for All Outfits
- Architects Of Change: Ushering A New Era or Just Another Streetwear Brand?
- WOMEN'S STREETWEAR TRENDS 2021 | AESTHETIC FASHION GUIDE
- 5 Reasons To Wear Hair Scrunchies On Your Wrist
- Why You Should Invest in Girls Designer Clothes
- What to Consider When Buying Nice Backpacks
- Are you looking for Shapewear ?
- 11 Big 2021 Fashion Trends That Are Already in Your Closet
- GREAT AND INTERESTING IDEAS FOR ANNIVERSARIES FOR WOMEN
- 7 Benefits of Wearing Personalized Name Necklaces
- 7 Facts about Eternity Bands
- Fashion in NFTs
- Oxford vs Derby | What is the difference?
- How to Choose Women’s Shirts for Business
- Extra Large Sunglasses For Your Big Head
- How to choose custom key chains?
- American Jacket Store is the ultimate Pit stop for your wardrobe.
- Best Leather Jacket mens
- How to buy a pearl ring for Mom
- Ola Active, the Clothing Brand Taking Over Instagram
- Tungsten Rings for Men - Strong, Durable, Extreme Scratch Resistance
- A Complete Guide to Purchasing Valentine's Day Gift For Her
- Cool Sunglasses Guide - The Trendiest Mens Sunglasses
- Mens Underwear Review - Tips On Buying Men's Underwear Online
- Tips For Buying The Latest Kids Football Jerseys Online
- How you can Put on and Take Proper care of Wigs