How To Repair Your Faucets
- Author Mark Bush
- Published June 2, 2009
- Word count 637
When it comes to home plumbing, there are few things more bothersome than a dripping faucet. Not only can it keep you awake at night, but it is also a misuse of vital assets: water and capital. A dripping faucet will boost your water bill in a very short time.
Good upkeep in addition to inspections of faucets is important in residential plumbing and construction plumbing to keep faucets in good working condition. With preventative upkeep and inspections you can avoid having to call a plumber to fix a faucet that has been neglected.
Residential plumbing needs repairs and inspections frequently to keep things from breaking down. For a simple leak or low water pressure, you can do the repairs and maintenance yourself. The two most ordinary problems with a dripping faucet is loose nuts or a worn washer.
Many plumbing problems are simple and easy to fix, such as fixing a leaking handle by tightening up loose connections.. Remove any decorative coverings on the handle, and locate the nut at the bottom of the handle. Tighten the nut gradually, but be careful not to tighten it too much. Then check to see if the drip has been resolved by turning the water on. If the leak is still present, tighten up the nut a a little more until the leak disappears.
Another common source of a leaky faucet is a damaged washer. Refer to the manufacturers information beforehand, as some newer faucets are washerless, like the Moen one handle faucets. In this case you can buy a repair kit at your hardware store for most popular brands of faucets. Otherwise, you can replace the washer yourself. You will need a screwdriver, a wrench and a package of washers that you can buy at hardware stores.
Should you encounter a problem with a shower or tub, you may require some additional work since valves are commonly located inside walls. Check for an access door to the plumbing. If there exists no access door, you might have to make one, or, if you are not comfortable building one, you should call a professional plumber.
Turn the water supply off, which should be located under the sink (or behind an access door if in a tub or shower).
Check to see if the water is turned off by turning the faucet to the on position.
Blockade off the drain by using a washcloth to prevent items from going down the drain by placing a washcloth over it.
Remove all decorative material in order to locate the nut.
To avoid scratching the faucet finish, pad the wrench with electrical tape or masking tape.
Loosen the packing nut inside the handle with the wrench. Turn it counter clockwise.
Take out the valve by twisting the handle until it comes out.
Find the washer, and take out the screw located at the bottom of the valve.
Match the old washer with one from the package of new washers you bought. Be certain they are precisely the same size. If there is a separate washer for hot and cold, be sure to use the washer designated for hot or cold water correctly.
Install the new washer(s), replace the valve, turn the handle back to its correct position, and then tighten the nut(s).
Test for leaks by turning the water valves beneath the sink back to the on position and turning on the faucet.
If you still have major problems or leaks in the plumbing, it is be best to phone a professional plumber for faucet repair.
Faucet repair does not have to be difficult with the proper tools and new parts. Preventative maintenance in addition to inspections will help deter problems. Dripping and leaky faucets ought to be repaired without delay to avoid expensive water charges and wasting of water resources.
Randy wrote this article. He is an Expert Plumbing contractor. Mr Speedy Plumbing Los Angeles. is the Best plumbing service in Los Angeles CA. For all your faucet repair & plumbing needs please visit plumbingArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home
- Tips for choosing good cheap removalists interstate Melbourne
- Why Choose Resin For Your Driveway?
- Essential Things to Note When Searching for Concrete Restoration Services in Palm Beach
- How LED Lights Benefit Senior Citizens’ Health
- How to move your house
- What Is a Registered Electrician and Do I Need One?
- Why Sealants and Adhesives are Important Correctional Resources?
- Make A New Year Resolution To Refit Your Kitchen, And Make Certain You Do It
- Making Every House a Home
- Should I Use Liquid Screed For My Next Floor Installation?
- Advice for an Environmentally Sustainable Home Build