How To Adjust or Replace Garage Door Weather Stripping
- Author Doron Kim
- Published July 4, 2009
- Word count 518
Our garages have fast become one of the most important places in our homes.Just like the basement,the garage has gone from a place where we might store a few things,but otherwise neglect,to becoming a vitally important workshop,TV room, and laundry room.Keeping our garage warm is much more important today than it used to be.If you are looking for ways to save on your energy bill,you may want to consider installing some weather stripping.It should only take you a few minutes and you will not need a hardware store full of tools,either.
First off,you will have to choose the right weather stripping for your particular garage door.The average hardware store has a stunning number of choices,but the two that you want to pick are the bottom door gasket and a flange style stripping that goes around the outside of the door.The flange style stripping is fairly easy to find.It often comes in two varieties one with dual flexible sides and one that has a hard side and a flexible side that looks a lot like wood molding.
If your garage door has a bottom channel that allows for old weather stripping to be slid out and new weather stripping to be slid in,it only takes a second to replace the old with the new.If your door does not have such a channel,open your door to a comfortable working height and use a 2x4 to keep it open.If your door is made out of wood,you want to seal it,so consider adding a coat of sealant before you nail on the new stripping.Cut out the piece of stripping and be sure that you attach it with the thick side out.Use roofing nails to attach the stripping,or just use the nails that come with the kit you bought.
Before you attach the stripping to the sides,you need to be very careful and measure out how much space you have.The last thing you want is to nail in all of this weather stripping only to find out you cannot even close your door any longer.Once you have everything measured out,use roofing nails or the nails that came with your kit to fit everything into place.Make sure you test the door several times during this process to ensure that you do not have to do everything over.
Here are some final tips before you finish up.Make a point of checking on your garage door weather stripping in a few days after installation.You want to make sure that nothing is getting in the way of the garage door opening or closing.It is not that weather stripping is so expensive you cannot just replace a piece if you have a problem,but you need to look out for the motor so that you are not putting too much stress on it every time you leave your home.Done correctly,good garage door weather stripping can save you considerable cash on your next heating bill.
This article brought to you by Choice Overhead Door Co. Choice Overhead Garage Door Company has become the number one choice for Dallas Fort Worths garage door needs. We specialize in repairs of existing and sales of new garage doors and garage door openers!Article source: http://articlebiz.com
- Tips for house removals
- Tips and tricks from ZDT Kitchen Remodeling for a smooth home renovation
- Locksmith 4 U
- Tips For Painting Or Staining Your Patio Deck
- Removing Oil Out Of Carpet
- Why pay for home development when you may do it yourself?
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home
- Tips for choosing good cheap removalists interstate Melbourne
- Why Choose Resin For Your Driveway?
- Essential Things to Note When Searching for Concrete Restoration Services in Palm Beach
- How LED Lights Benefit Senior Citizens’ Health