The Benefits of Double Glazing
- Author Martin Troughton
- Published December 5, 2009
- Word count 527
The process of double glazing involves producing a window with two panes of glass, separated by a space that is only several millimetres thick. The air that is trapped in this small space acts as an insulator that reduces heat flow, while allowing high visible light and solar heat to pass through. Double glazing not only helps reduce heat loss, but also reduces noise transmission. This makes this an ideal solution for areas that are noisier than average.
Double glazed windows consist of two panes of glass that are separated by a gap that is only several millimetres thick. Air is trapped in this small gap, which in turn acts as an insulator that reduces the flow of heat through the windows. Some windows use argon as an insulating agent, since its higher density allows even less heat to escape than air. A drying agent is usually added in this gap in order to prevent moisture from forming inside the finished product. Double glazing not only reduces heat loss, but also cuts down on the level of noise that comes from outside.
Double glazed windows must be airtight in order for them to be effective. The appearance of condensation in between the two panes usually indicates that the double glazed unit is no longer airtight. The bad thing about double glazed windows is that if condensation does form in between the two panes, the entire unit must be replaced. Unlike other windows, units with double glazing cannot be repaired.
Double glazed windows can be aesthetically pleasing, with several frame styles to choose from, including hardwood, aluminium and UPVC, which features better insulating properties than aluminium or hardwood frames. These frames also come in a wide variety of colours to match your tastes.
Double glazed window units are available to match any home, with several frame styles and colours available to choose from. Most window frames are available in aluminium, hardwood and UPVC, a composite material that provides superior insulation compared to aluminium or hardwood. Aluminium frames are often used when matching frames to older style homes. The window panes are also coated with a UV protector that prevents harmful UV rays from getting through. Low solar gain glass is available to provide the highest protection from UV rays and is often a favourite in areas where the summers are extremely hot.
Windows with double glazing can also provide a small measure of security for homeowners. Each pane of glass acts as a barrier for those attempting to break in, and these windows are often harder to break through for intruders. Combined with other, stronger security measures, double glazed windows can offer a peace of mind for those concerned about the safety of their home.
There are plenty of benefits to double glazing, from overall energy efficiency to added security and reduced heating costs. In addition to these benefits, double glazing can also boost your home?s resale value. Before moving on with the installation process, make sure that not only is the installation professional certified to install these windows, but also you should check your local building codes in order to remain in compliance with these measures.
Martin Troughton is an expert in double glazing. As the drive for energy efficiency increases efficient double glazing is a quick way to save on energy bills and help the environment.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Commentary - Homeowner’s Guides In Successful Resident-Contractor Relations
- What to do with unwanted furniture
- Homeowner’s Guides In Successful Resident-Contractor Relations
- SUMMARY - YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Part 2 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Part 1 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Peel And Stick Wallpaper – A More Convenient Alternative
- How to Choose the Best Roof Installation Service Provider for Your House?
- 5 Simple Ways Indoor Plantation Shutters Enhance Home Décor
- Tips for house removals
- Tips and tricks from ZDT Kitchen Remodeling for a smooth home renovation
- Locksmith 4 U
- Tips For Painting Or Staining Your Patio Deck
- Removing Oil Out Of Carpet
- Why pay for home development when you may do it yourself?
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?