When Should You Replace Your Roofing?
- Author Mark Benson
- Published March 15, 2007
- Word count 588
While many people feel that their house roof will last forever (many can last for years and years), the chances are that they could receive a very expensive shock in the future. It is surprising that people do not arrange regular checks of their roofing because it really is the first defence against the elements, and a faulty roof could have serious consequences on the house as a whole.
The life span of a roof will vary from climate to climate, and also the age and style of housing - something which many people fail to appreciate. If is strongly recommended that you do a quick check of your roof twice a year (many choose the autumn and spring) - a quick check with a torch light and an outside review will probably be sufficient, although you may require the assistance of a tradesman if there are suspicious areas, or leaks.
If left untreated a leaking roof can have a major impact on other parts of the house including :-
· The rafters. Constant leakage will soon cause the major beams and rafters of the house to decay, with potentially frightening results. A weakened support within the home has the potential to cause knock on effects to other areas of the house, and while this may take years to happen, it is something we should all be aware of.
· The walls and ceiling. Very often small stains may appear on the walls or ceilings, which can often result from leaks in the roof area. It should be noted that a roof may only leak periodically, perhaps when it is windy, or only in the face of very strong storms. Even if the leak is only periodical, you should still look further into the problem as these issues can soon snowball.
· Roofing shingle. Roofing shingle, or slate, is common place in Europe and parts of the US, acting as a dependable shield against the elements. In the perfect situation the material is nailed to wooden supports which hold the shingle in place. The shingle lies on top of each other forming a water-tight seal, although strong winds and general decay can cause small cracks, which if untreated can lead to larger problems. You may need to replace single shingles or areas of the roof on a regular basis.
It is also essential that you instigate a regular check of your house guttering, as any overflow may end up causing problems with the overall structure of the house, as well as putting undue pressure on the gutter piping. A simple blockage of leaves can soon become serious, leaving other parts of the house open to more wear and tear from water decay.
While ultimately there is a safety aspect to repairing and maintaining your roofing, it can also have a major impact upon the value of your home should you look to sell in the future. A new roof can cost thousands of pounds and has the potential to scare off many would be buyers if problems are left unresolved.
There have been some major advances in roofing technology over the last few years, therefore when replacing your roof, you may wish to consider some of the newer styles available, which include :-
· Asphalt shingles.
· Wood shake and shingles.
· Metal roofing.
It is vital that you choose a type of roofing material which best suits the area and environment which you live in - something that will compliment the elements and maintain the protection required for years to come.
Articles courtesy of Roofing Products, covering safety and a vast array of roofing products.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home
- Tips for choosing good cheap removalists interstate Melbourne
- Why Choose Resin For Your Driveway?
- Essential Things to Note When Searching for Concrete Restoration Services in Palm Beach
- How LED Lights Benefit Senior Citizens’ Health
- How to move your house
- What Is a Registered Electrician and Do I Need One?
- Why Sealants and Adhesives are Important Correctional Resources?
- Make A New Year Resolution To Refit Your Kitchen, And Make Certain You Do It
- Making Every House a Home
- Should I Use Liquid Screed For My Next Floor Installation?