How To Increase Your Home Value With A Finished Basement
- Author Nancy Dean
- Published April 8, 2007
- Word count 502
While the basement is usually the darkest room in the house, that doesn't mean it can't be converted into living space. Converting a basement from just a storage area to one that adds value to your home requires that you put a little thought into the remodel. Besides the absence of light, moisture is a factor in basements that has to be addressed. You don't want to finish a basement only to have people feel it is halfway done or badly done.
Basements have been about storage for many generations. When you are thinking of converting it to usable space, you will want to figure out what you want to convert it to. If you try to add bedroom space, it's likely it won't add much resale value to your home. There are few people who would consider sleeping in the basement a good bedroom space.
However, many people think of basements as fun rooms. Adding a wet bar, entertainment area can help to enhance the feeling of fun. It can be converted into a family room or children's playroom, all of which have great appeal to today's modern family.
Plan your remodel with a professional to really nail the plan down. Have blueprints of your plan with measurements to scale. Create a budget and estimate the material costs. Get some estimates from contractors to find out the labor costs. In the end, you may need to hire a contractor if you have to get permits to finish your basement. Check with your local government offices.
Take Care Of The Details
Obviously, you can't just put a couch in the basement and call it a family room. You will have to make sure you've locked out moisture and added lighting. In addition, sound insulation may be needed if you have appliances like furnaces running in the basement. You will want to make sure there are sufficient outlets for whatever new appliances you want to add. The basement should be well ventilated too – no musty odors!
If plumbing is an issue for a wet bar or a closet bathroom, you will have to take these large expenses into consideration. Don't overdo the budget so that the value of the remodel when added to the value of your home brings it way above your neighbor's home values. You won't be able to recoup your investment if the value added is not similar to homes in your area. This is very important when you are planning your remodel. Don't add anything so extravagant that when it comes time to sell, the finished basement is considered an oddity rather than a sales feature.
Decorating And Remodeling
Here you can let your creativity flow. Paint, wallpaper, paneling, ceramic, laminate and a myriad of other home improvement products can help you convert your basement to usable living space. Don't try to make the basement match the rest of the house. Instead, let it have it's own unique character to give it the air of a secret hideaway.
For help with home organization, visit Get Organized at http://www.shopgetorganized.comArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Part 2 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- Part 1 -YOU TUBE’s Untapped Value In Resident-Contractor Relations
- How to Choose the Best Roof Installation Service Provider for Your House?
- 5 Simple Ways Indoor Plantation Shutters Enhance Home Décor
- Tips for house removals
- Tips and tricks from ZDT Kitchen Remodeling for a smooth home renovation
- Locksmith 4 U
- Tips For Painting Or Staining Your Patio Deck
- Removing Oil Out Of Carpet
- Why pay for home development when you may do it yourself?
- How to Clean Blinds the Best and Easiest Way
- How to Repair a Toilet
- Benefits of Using Blinds and Shutters for Windows
- Important Things To Know About Garage Door Opener Installation
- Do I need to flip my mattress?
- Why You Should Use an Epoxy Garage Floor Coating
- Top 10 Kitchen Cabinet Door Trends in 2020
- 10 Myths About Bedbugs
- The Story Of The Granite That Is Used For Your Worktops
- Push Lawn Mowers - All Yo need to know
- Major Considerations for Liquid Floor Screed
- The Benefits of Using Tiles in Your Home
- Air Duct Cleaning and Disinfecting Reviews
- Where Does All This Dust In My House Come From?
- Is a Portable Solar Battery Generator Right for Your Next Purchase?
- There Are Many Ways To Update Your Kitchen In Hertford
- Choosing the Right Floor for Your Next Home
- Various Benefits of Sealants and Adhesives as Correctional Materials
- How a Home Can Promote Longevity through the Principles of Wellness Design
- An Effective Guidance before You Install Insulation for Your Home