Shabby Chic Furniture and Décor – How to Integrate Shabby Chic into an Interior Decorating Idea
- Author Lynn Cressy
- Published May 23, 2007
- Word count 365
Shabby chic décor is a technique of decorating that balances well-designed and beautiful objects with old, worn out and sometimes tattered items. Top on this list is shabby chic furniture. Shabby chic decorating includes soft delicate colors with creamy white being predominate in many simply shabby chic schemes. Rachel Ashwell is credited for giving the style its name.
Shabby chic’s early beginnings included plenty of white painted objects which are still used today. Wooden furniture found at garage sales, flea markets, and even in the attic can be spray painted white and become shabby chic furniture. Since shabby chic decorating is also about distressed surfaces, add character to furniture by roughing it up a little--lightly sand the corners for a worn look.
Remember, if you want shabby chic furniture, don’t look for bright bold colors or matching sets. It would be more appropriate to mix and match upholstery patterns and add florals and stripes in pillows and other accessories. As an example, you might have visions of cuddling in your grandmother’s soft, comfortable slip-covered furniture.
Shabby chic has expanded to include vintage fabrics and all types of imperfect, once elegant accessories. A ruffled, rumpled elegance is characteristic of simply shabby chic. Antique collectibles are a nice addition to this decorating style. You might also want to include one of the many wonderful, ornate antique side tables as part of your shabby chic furniture collection.
In mixing patterns in the shabby chic decorating style keep the background color the same creamy white with at least one color recurring in every pattern. A tip for giving a harsh white fabric or lace a vintage-look is to stain it with tea. Use three or four tea bags in a pot of hot water testing it every 10 minutes until it has the desired aged look. Pretest a piece of fabric to get the right tint.
As you can see, shabby chic décor is an excellent choice if you are on a tight decorating budget. Combine creativity and time to browse secondhand stores, garage sales and flea markets, and you will have a comfortable, eclectic collection of shabby chic décor and shabby chic furniture.
Lynn Cressy is the owner of Lynn's Home Decor, which was created out of a love for decorating and shopping for home decor. You will find shabby chic decor and shabby chic furniture as well as a variety of best price home décor and
interior decorating ideas at http://www.lynnshomedecor.com.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Exquisite and Custom Interior Design With a Professional Company
- How to arrange your bathroom?
- 3 Things I Love About Cabin Decor
- Sophisticated Cabin Decor Ideas
- Home Décor and Functional Utilization Ideas with Hallway Benches
- Guest Bedroom Decoration Ideas
- A Rug Adds a Touch of Beauty to Your Room
- Five Design Ideas For Your Living Room
- Top 10 Bohemian Décor Ideas
- Why Having A Great Office Interior Design Matters
- How to Feminize Your Cabin Decor
- The Lazy Man’s Guide to Cabin Decor
- Guaranteed No Stress Cabin Decor
- Enhance your night's sleep: Tips on the 8 best fabrics for duvet covers
- Hottest Wedding Trends for 2019
- Industrial Decor Style - 5 Ways to Incorporate This Style in Your Home
- 7 Types of Cabin Styles and Themes
- What Colors Do I Use in My Cabin Home?
- Things To Consider When Choosing School Stage Curtains
- A Short Guide to Theatre Curtains and Drapes
- How to Make Your House a Cabin, Even If It Isn’t
- 3 Things I Hate About Cabin Decor
- Tips for Choosing Dining Chairs Online
- Styling Designer Homewares
- How to Create a Great Guest Bedroom in Your Cabin Home
- How to Decorate Your Cabin to Impress your Guests
- Begin Your Path Into COASTAL DÉCOR With Little To No Budget!
- Decorating Your Living Room with Neutral Colours
- Tips for Mendhi Decor to Blow the Minds of Your Guests
- The Best 5 Bedrooms | Designer Bedroom Furniture