Search Engine Optimization Advice: Rank Keywords for Profitability
- Author Shawn Hutchison
- Published April 19, 2010
- Word count 626
The best search engine optimization advice I can give to anyone starting to market online is to rank your potential keywords based on profitability. To do this you must know which keywords will get you on the first page of the search results first, so that you can generate web site traffic fast! You can do this by gathering a little data about each of your potential keywords and apply the information that I show you in this article.
To generate web site traffic you don’t need a huge list of keywords, you just need a few good ones. If you are already using some keywords test them first to see if you should continue to use them.
The data that you need for ranking your keywords are:
the number of exact phrase match web pages (keyword competition)
the average amount of traffic for each keyword phrase (search volume)
All of this keyword competition and search volume data can be found for free. Put quotation marks around your keyword phrase and run a Google search. The number of pages in the upper right of the results is your keyword competition.
To get the search volume use either the Google Adwords keyword tool or Traffic-Travis, which is a desktop application and is a free download. The Google keyword tool will give you searches per month, and T-T will give you searches per day.
Put this data in a spreadsheet across from each keyword in a separate column. From here you simply need to sort the data correctly according to a couple of guidelines. But before you can do that you must know how those guidelines apply to your keywords traffic pulling power, or profitability.
The first metric is the Google search volume. When you put quotation marks around your keyword phrase and Google it you will get only the results, or pages, that have those words of the phrase in that exact order. This is a good indication of your ‘true’ competition.
The second metric is search volume and you can find this easily by using one of the two above mentioned tools. (Just Google them to find the websites.)
The guidelines for narrowing down your list are as follows:
• Google phrase match search results under 10,000 for keywords indicate a quick first page ranking (with proper optimization strategy)
• Keywords with search volumes of at least 1000 per month, or 35 per day, can generate enough web site traffic to optimize for.
Basically you can order your words in the spreadsheet according to the above metrics and remove those that do not qualify. Then you narrow them down further until you have 10-12 keyword phrases with the best combination of low keyword competition (or web pages with exact phrase matches in Google) and the highest search volume. This is done simply by first sorting your list by the least competition, and then by the most search volume.
Here are a couple of things to keep in mind if you run into any trouble when trying to decide between words.
If you have a product or service with a high price point you can optimize for words with lower search volumes because you don’t as many sales to profit. And avoiding competition only generates web site traffic faster.
When comparing a high competition, high search volume keyword to a low volume, low competition keyword the low competition keyword is always better (if it meets the minimum search volume criteria). Again, the faster you put yourself in a position where you can generate web site traffic, the more profitable you’ll be.
This is by no means an exhaustive study of keyword selection, but by using this method you will be able to quickly assess the value of your keywords.
Shawn Hutchison is a full time internet marketer who specializes in keyword selection and ethical, sustainable, and free website traffic strategies.
Watch over his shoulder as he takes you through each step for creating a profitable keyword list in this comprehensive keyword selection DVD.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Why Backlink Checker Tool is Very Important for Digital Marketer?
- Why Is WordPress Bad?
- How Brand Image can Help Improve SEO
- Why do you need SEO?
- Stay Competitive with Trending SEO Aspects
- SEO Ranking Factors 2020
- History of SEO
- How Can You Integrate SEO and PPC in Your Marketing Strategies?
- Foolproof Ways to Grow Your Instagram Followers in 2020 (and Beyond)
- Effective Ways to Build High-quality DoFollow Backlinks
- Tips to Help Your Website Generate More Leads
- Helpful Tips to Bulletproof Your SEO Strategy
- Benefits of optimizing your website for local SEO
- Easy Steps in Which CRO Audit is performed
- Clipping Path: The Technique to Make Your Picture Look Better
- Avail Affordable SEO Service for Your Business.
- Web Development Outsourcing
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Business Networking
- Common SEO Services Provided by an SEO Agency
- BOOST Your Website Ranking Today
- Why Is SEO So Important for Small Businesses?
- Five SEO Myths that Business Companies Need to Forget About
- What is SEO and why do you need it?
- A Guide to Hiring an SEO Provider
- Major Link Building Trends to Focus on 2019
- Try These On-Page SEO Techniques for WordPress Websites
- SEO Trends in 2019
- Crowd Marketing – How to Promote Your Business
- How to Secure the Proper SEO Keywords
- 5 Ways From Semalt On How To Take Control Of Your Content Marketing