4 Foods to Include in Your Diet this Year
- Author Isaac Eliaz
- Published February 23, 2011
- Word count 466
A new year has begun and with resolutions in high gear, many people are looking to improve their overall health. Of all the recommended strategies for fighting disease and promoting vitality, few are as critical and profound as the practice of healthy eating. In general, it is best to follow a whole foods diet that is rich in organic fruits and vegetables. Here are four common power-foods that I recommend for health, vitality and well being.
Certain types of oily fish help to reduce inflammation in the body that can lead to heart problems. Fish is also rich in vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids, which benefit brain and heart function. Some types of fish such as shark, swordfish and mackerel may have higher levels of mercury, PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls), dioxins, and other environmental contaminants. It is best to stick to types that are low in mercury such as wild salmon, pollock and sardines.
Nuts and Seeds
Research shows that people who eat certain types of nuts regularly have a lower risk of developing heart disease. Varieties such as walnuts, almonds and Brazil nuts are some of the best plant sources of protein and contain high amounts of fiber, phytonutrients and antioxidants such as vitamin E and selenium. In addition to nuts, seeds such as flax seeds and sunflower seeds provide some of the same heart health benefits. Pumpkin seeds are also natural sources of carbohydrates, amino acids and unsaturated fatty acids, and contain zinc, calcium, potassium, and phosphorous which make them beneficial for prostate and bladder health.
Ginger is a beneficial root for improving digestion and reducing inflammation. It has long been used as a natural treatment for colds and the flu as well as stomach flus or food poisoning, given the positive effects ginger has on the digestive tract. In addition, studies have shown that ginger powder may induce cell death in ovarian cancer cells. Ginger is also shown to be a powerful painkiller and can be used to relieve heartburn and migraines.
Many medicinal mushrooms are rich in beta-glucans, which are soluble polysaccharides that help to boost immunity, lower bad LDL cholesterol and regulate blood sugar levels. These beneficial substances have also been shown to enhance macrophage activity, which is essential for warding off infection. In addition to medicinal mushrooms such as shiitake or reishi mushrooms, standard culinary types such white button mushrooms contain substances that inhibit the activity of aromatase (an enzyme involved in estrogen production) and 5-alpha-reductase (an enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT).
Healthy eating can easily be an enjoyable part of your lifestyle. As you continue your dedication to wholesome choices for yourself on every level, you will be rewarded with radiant health and a certain inner tranquility that arises from being truly nourished and fulfilled.
Dr. Isaac Eliaz is a respected author, lecturer, researcher, product formulator, and clinical practitioner. He has been a pioneer in the field of integrative medicine since the early 1980s. Dr. Eliaz is a frequent guest lecturer on integrative medical approaches to health, immune enhancement, and cancer prevention and treatment. www.dreliaz.orgArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Great Guide To Having A Healthy Body
- 8 Benefits of CBD Oil and Its Uses
- What Is Leptin Resistance?
- What are the health benefits of CBD Oil?
- Healthy Diet Tips for Pregnancy
- How to get a well-defined muscle mass in a short time?
- What is the most effective weight loss diet over the long term?
- How to Prevent Gestational diabetes
- Pre-workout supplements
- Incredible Properties and Benefits of Chayote
- Full Spectrum Hemp Oil vs. Isolated: what is the difference?
- Blood and Guts Pre-Workout
- The Health Benefits of juicing
- The Healing Power of Currants
- The Fact About HGH Supplements
- 10 Wellness tips – this is how to stay healthy during winter
- Something to help you with your pre workout training!
- Marijuana-Cannabis-THC-CBD - Definitions and Slang
- Whey Protein: Benefits, Uses & Requirements
- How to benefit from Keto's revolutionary fat-loss diet plan
- Wild Antarctic Red Krill Fish Oil - Best Omega 3 Fish Supplement?
- How To Become A Fit Vegan
- Mass gainer - take your dose of energy
- Green Coffee Bean Health Benefits
- Don’t Eat These 3 Food Groups if You Have Arthritis
- How to Improve Your Metabolic Health with Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Benefits of Probiotics
- How To Protect Yourself From Sickness & Disease
- Boost Your Brain Function And Improve Memory With Pearl Powder
- Digestive Problems In Usa And Its Cure