Reasons to have Laser Eye Surgery
- Author Kathryn Dawson
- Published April 1, 2011
- Word count 637
Just like the rest of the body, there are a host of things that can go wrong with the eyes. There are also some problems that people are born with and have to live with from birth. Here you will find information about a large number of conditions that might require laser eye surgery of some kind. Some conditions are not necessarily problematic, in the sense that they won't cause you to go blind if no treatment is given. However, there are other conditions that can lead to loss of sight.
If you were born with some kind of a refractive problem in your eyes then you may well need laser eye surgery to correct them in later life. It is possible to wear glasses or contact lenses if you do have something wrong, however laser eye surgery may allow you to throw away your glasses for good. Myopia or shortsightedness can be corrected by lasik eye surgery. During the procedure the cornea is flattened slightly to correct the refractive problem. By making the cornea more curved, longsightedness is another refractive problem that can be successfully fixed with laser eye surgery. Another refractive problem that can be corrected with laser eye surgery is astigmatism which is when the cornea curves differently in the eye. In other words, one side of the cornea is curved differently to how it is curved on the other side. Not only does both long and shortsightedness occur when someone is born with this condition, but eyesight can even be blurred. Lasik eye surgery can flatten the steepest part of the eye and therefore correct the vision.
As well as refractive problems, laser eye surgery can remove a number of conditions that can affect sight. One such condition is pterygium. This is the name of a condition that involves a small amount of tissue growing across the eye. It doesn't look nice and it can make vision a little blurry or patchy. It can be removed instantly with laser eye surgery and the person's eye sight should return as good as new. Blepharospasm can also be helped with laser eye surgery. This is the involuntary twitching of the eye and although it is not life threatening or likely to ruin a person's eye sight, it can be very irritating and affect negatively day to day life.
There are other very serious and damaging conditions that can be helped or removed entirely with laser eye surgery. Glaucoma can be very damaging indeed and is caused when there is a build of fluid in the eye. If the fluid cannot pass freely due to a blockage then pressure will build. The pressure can lead to partial or complete blindness so if glaucoma has been diagnosed, action needs to be taken as soon as possible. There is laser eye surgery that can remove the blockage entirely. This procedure has saved the sight of thousands of people across the world. Laser treatment can also assist in the treatment of diabetic retinopathy and other illnesses related to diabetes. Anyone who has diabetes is at risk of developing certain eye conditions, and so it is very important that regular check ups are carried out.
Laser eye surgery is a very quick surgery. Some procedures take just a few minutes per eye. Patients can have the surgery done on an outpatient basis and can be home after just an hour or so in the hospital. Patients notice a major difference in their eye sight when they wake up the following morning but results can be felt after just a couple of hours later.
Laser eye surgery can be used to treat many conditions and illnesses. There is laser vision correction available for refractive problems, as well as illnesses like glaucoma. There is also lens exchange surgery possible for cataract removal.
There are no posted comments.
- Excision of Mucocele Using Dental DIODE LASER
- Everything you need to know about CBD oil
- Acupuncture in London
- None of Us Are Above the Placebo Effect
- What Role Does a Hospital Chargemaster Play in Revenue Cycle Management?
- Revenue Cycle Management (RCM) Trends for 2020
- What to do when you have a Toothache
- Super Vidalista
- Clinical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well
- What Are Uses, Doses And Side Effects Of Xenical
- Save Thousands by Getting Veneers Done in Colombia
- Dissociative Identity Disorder
- Bone Regeneration: All You Need to Know
- What Is Dilaudid?
- What Is Diazepam?
- Benefits And Uses Of CBD Oil
- CBD and Fitness: A Match Made in Heaven?
- How to Incorporate CBD into Your Daily Routine
- Does the rain on the plain increase your pain?
- Arthritis Isn't for the Weak
- Infertility In the West Is Becoming An Increasing Problem
- Which is the safer consumption of pill- oral or vaginal administration?
- 5 Common Types Of Arthritis
- What is Lortab?
- How Can Cannabis Help People With Multiple Sclerosis?
- 6 Ways to Find the Best Pediatrician for Your Kids- JPCKIDS
- Eat Right to Beat Cancer with Diet
- ADHD Medications – Are You Getting The Full Story And Giving Your Child The Best Possible Treatment?
- How this New Medical Device Could Help Save a Hundred Thousand American Lives Annually
- What Is CBD?