Avoiding a Texas Electricity Crisis: Doing Your Share
- Author Michael Adam
- Published November 15, 2011
- Word count 521
The recent Texas electricity emergencies are significant warnings to all residents – that everyone should do their part in conserving electricity. Unless a really abundant source of cheap electricity is made available to everyone, people must not be complacent in their efforts in conserving power and using electricity wisely. Everyone should not be wasteful with their use of power and should do their part in practicing energy conservation and having an energy efficient home.
While the recent electricity emergency called forth by the Texas grid operator Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) was mostly attributed to the significantly high temperatures of high summer, rolling blackouts were avoided with the cooperation of both residential and commercial Texas electricity users.
At some points during the recent emergencies, ERCOT had no option but to initiate Energy Emergency Alert Level 2, calling on large commercial and industrialTexaselectricity users bounded by contract to voluntarily reduce their load.
At least, Energy Emergency Alert Level 3 or Power Emergency was averted, which forces power utilities to immediately conduct temporary outages on their areas of distribution in an attempt to reduce to the overall demand on the Texas electricity grid. With 20 power plants shutting down and more than 3,000 megawatts of capacity lost, it looked as ifTexas residents would have to deal with 15 to 45 minutes rolling power outages.
Despite Texasresidents having the power to select energy options, everyone has the responsibility of doing their share in preventing a Texas electricity crisis. It is not the sole responsibility of the power grid operator and the utility companies to handle everything there is to be done during these emergencies. Texas residents can do their share by practicing energy conservation measures right in their own homes.
The Texas Public Utility Commission released their "Powerful Advice" initiatives which describe practical energy conservation tips that every resident should follow. ERCOT advised reduction of energy usage between 3 m to 7pm, peak hours where Texas electricity usage is at its highest, and they can do so by simply turning off unnecessary lights and other electricity-consuming appliances.
However, the practice of energy conservation and having an energy efficient home should not be done only during calls for electricity emergencies, but should be an integrated part of modern life. Tips are available from your Retail Electric Providers or from your utility companies. Aside from that, there are lots of energy conservation tips shared through various websites including the blogs and articles from Shop Texas Electricity.
Energy efficiency should be a way of life and not just an emergency action when the situation calls for it. Energy efficiency and energy conservation will help ensure that residents will have ample supply of energy now and in the future. The government and its agencies, private corporations, the academic and technological communities are doing the best they can to come up with alternative solutions for energy production – to ensure abundant supply not only for all people now, but for future generations to come.
About Shop Texas Electricity- Shop Texas Electricity helps consumers and businesses compare and shop for their electricity plans in Texas. Learn more about Shop Texas Electricity by visiting us at www.ShopTexasElectricity.com
About Shop Texas Electricity- Shop Texas Electricity helps consumers and businesses compare and shop for their electricity plans in Texas. Learn more about Shop Texas Electricity by visiting us at Dallas Electricity & Deregulated Energy & Texas UtilitiesArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Water Removal Solutions for Building Sites
- Five Facts About Renewable Energy That You Need To Know
- Not just cheap energy – why should you consider installing solar panels?
- What are the benefits of camping?
- 10 Most Practiced Economic Activities in Vietnam
- 9 Types of Economic Industries Found in Vietnam
- 5 Mineral Resources Found in Vietnam
- Climate change: It is happening right here and right now.
- Climate change
- Types of Environmental Remediation
- Undertake CAT Course to Create a Safe Work Environment
- The Most Deadly Strain of Ebola Strikes Again
- Advanced Waste Management System in Major Australian Cities
- Top 3 Things Every Dental Practice Should Do About Their Waste Starting From Today
- 4 Staggering Facts About Hazardous Waste
- Best Practices And Etiquette For Lab Waste Disposals
- The Case for Top-down Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in the developing world
- 7 Tips To Manage Your Chemical Waste Disposal
- Why Hazardous Waste Disposal Can Be A Problem
- The 7 Most Common Metals That Can Be Recycled
- Precious metal refining do’s and don’ts
- What is biohazardous waste?
- How to properly dispose of paint and consequences for not doing it correctly
- How Do You Dispose Of Healthcare Waste?
- What Is The Difference Between Offensive And Hazardous Waste?
- Plastic is polluting our oceans
- How do storms impact wastewater pumps
- Environmental Analysis and Industry
- What to know about shoreline cleanup
- Biofilters for air pollution control