Digital Books Take Roots In a Huge Truck
- Author Marco Gustafsson
- Published January 12, 2012
- Word count 453
More than 75,000 people have joined e-book readers community, thanks to a huge 74-foot, 18-wheel tractor-trailer. The project called Digital Bookmobile moves coast to coast to promote downloadable eBooks, audiobooks, music, and video.
The Digital Bookmobile is operated by OverDrive - a leading full-service digital distributor of eBooks, audiobooks, music, and video. Founded in 1986, the company is based in Cleveland, OH. The project is intended to promote downloadable eBooks and audiobooks from the library to community members. It is hosted by individual public libraries in support of their download services.
This nationally touring vehicle is a high-tech update of the traditional bookmobile that has served communities for decades. Semi-tractor trailer vehicle is 8’ 6" wide, and 13’ 6" tall. It’s equipped with onboard broadband Internet connections, six interior PC computer stations, four exterior PC computer stations, one Mac, high-definition televisions and a Gadget Gallery with eight high-tech portable devices for demonstrations. Fully deployed, the clear set-up area needed is approximately 74’ long and 23’ wide.
According to the project team members, in the beginning, many visitors did not know what an eBook even was. Now, after three years of being on the road, many people are bringing their own devices and asking sophisticated questions about the process.
There is no cost for the Digital Bookmobile. Visitors can experience all the exhibits for free. Plus the digital downloads from the library are also free. The e-book truck travels with a knowledgeable team of digital library specialists. Each team member can help answer questions or perform demos of the service in a friendly, enthusiastic manner.
Project managers consider the best location to host a Digital Bookmobile event is at the host public library or school. They encourage to choose this location as it allows to be near DB’s main target audiences – library customers, library staff, and students.
The maximum number of attendees on the Digital Bookmobile has been experienced during the National Book Festival. It has had an average of 2,500 visitors in one day.
OverDrive’s representatives say there isn’t a specific geographic area or city that has a higher interest in the Digital Bookmobile. With the surge in eBook usage and mobile devices, all institutions are interested in raising the awareness of borrowing eBooks and more from the library.
The objective of Digital Bookmobile events is to increase new users and circulations through coordinated activities. Organizers seek to schedule events in conjunction with other planned library programs, such as book fairs and reading festivals. This should maximize patron traffic and increase community awareness about their digital media collection. Therefore, events do not have a strict schedule as the supplemental programs and events will vary from each location.
At this time, OverDrive is planning to continue the project through 2012.
There are no posted comments.
- Why Music Theory Helps Creativity
- Artist Spotlight with Soprano Irina Petrik
- Where to Buy Kimi No Na Wa: Your Name Manga & Books
- 10 Healthy Benefits of Playing Musical Instruments
- Switching between musical instruments which you don’t know before
- How to keep party going with fresh beats
- How to get your book signed
- 'Bringing Rhythm and blues back home'
- My First Fiction Novel
- Darrell Kelley's Songs for the Soul
- Things You Need to Know Before Learning Violin
- Tips That Help You for Playing Ukulele
- 7 Undeniable Reasons Why You Should Play Ukulele
- 5 Banjo Tips for Beginners That You Must Know
- Start Learning Piano with These 5 Yamaha Digital Piano
- What has happened to Music
- Top 5 Concert Ukulele Everyone Should Know
- Benefits Of An Internet Piano Course
- How To Play The Piano Basics
- Piano or keyboard: What’s the difference?
- A List Of 10 Inspiring Books Every Student Must Read!
- Benefits of Taking up Keyboard Lessons for Children
- Why Music Education Matters
- Did Bob Dylan really introduce The Beatles to weed?
- How did Nick Drake really die?
- Harnessing The Fire From Within: Using The Past To Fuel The Fire
- Book Review: The Brain That Changes Itself
- Education world connecting educators
- Education world connecting educators
- Ten Secrets For Keeping Your Guitar Strings Fresh