Education Savings To Help You Save For Your Child's Education
- Author Courtney Mcelroy
- Published March 3, 2012
- Word count 396
Maximizing education savings
The costs of post-secondary education are rising. A Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP Canada), which is a tax-sheltered education savings account that can help ensure that you and your children cope with those costs. By making the most of an RESP Canada- including smart investing for tax-deferred growth and eligibility for government grants - we can generate investment returns to help ensure you have enough education savings for your children.
What are the current costs and how much are they expected to go up?
• A 2009 study by one of the top five banks in Canada found the total cost of a four-year degree (including living expenses and academic fees) was $77,000.
• For those who lived at home with their parents, the cost was $52,000.
• The study predicted that by 2027 that cost would almost double - to $137,000 for those living away from home and $101,000 for students who stay at home.
• Statistics Canada recently reported that undergraduate students this year paid 4% more in tuition fees than last year and graduate students 6.6% more.
How can I maximize the CESG?
To receive the maximum Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG), you could contribute amounts annually to an RESP rather than a large sum at the outset; the grant is 20% on the first $2,500 contributed each year, to a maximum of $500 per year. However, an RESP strategy isn't always cut and dried. If you have a large lump sum available (up to maximum lifetime RESP contribution limit of $50,000), we might explore investing it all to begin earning compounding tax-sheltered returns early. You would forgo some government grant money but you would immediately begin earning tax-deferred returns. A best strategy for managing the grant would depend on a discussion of your needs and situation.
Are there any advantages to a self-directed RESP?
Flexibility! There is a lot of flexibility with a self-directed RESP Canada, allowing us to take full advantage of the wide range of investments you can hold in an RESP Canada. We can work with you to make sure your strategy maximizes the savings and investment potential of an RESP Canada, as well as making the most effective use of government grants.
Regardless of what your child's career direction will be, post secondary education will be one of the key components to his or her success. It's never too early to start education savings and planning for your children.
Gary Mandel is an Insurance Advisor and the President of Independent Financial Concepts Group, one of the most innovative MGA's in Ontario. If you would like to arrange a consultation to discuss your insurance needs and financial planning, please visit www.wecoveryou.ca or call 416-849-1653. If you are an Insurance advisor who is interested in an opportunity at IFCG please visit www.ifcg.com.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Let's End Wage Slavery in the USA
- The role of AI in finance
- Adsense Pros And Cons
- Places You Can Save Money For Your Family
- Best ways to make money in 2019
- 5 Credit Hacks to Boost Your Credit Score Fast
- How The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Works For You
- Real Estate Outlook May 2019
- What Your Dad Never Told You About Income Investing: Q & A
- Looking for interests from your investments? Intus Life!
- How To Get Wholesale Houses In 7 Days or Less
- Life Settlements: The Option of Selling Unwanted Life Insurance
- Do Stock Market Numbers Really Matter?
- Real Estate Outlook May 2018
- Harnessing Stock Market Volatility
- Real Estate Investment Outlook
- Health Insurance A Must For Everyone
- Managing The Retirement Income Portfolio: The Plan
- 5 Reasons to Hire a Financial Planner
- Why Retirement Planning Is Important
- Florida Online Deed Sales - 2017
- How to make money: 11 tips to learn how to invest your capital
- How Can You Build A Bigger Pension?
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Millionaires of the 21st Century
- Finding the Good Real Estate Deals
- Only Action Will Create Wealth
- The Global Reset
- Commodity Prices Have Crashed
- What the Wealthy Do Different
- Reasons To Make An Effort Having A Home Budget Plan