The Dangers of OxyContin
- Author Daniel Jones
- Published March 16, 2012
- Word count 395
OxyContin ("Oxy" or "OC" on the street) is a time-released pain medication. It was developed in 1995 for people needing around-the-clock pain relief, so they do not have to take pills as often. OxyContin contains oxycodone, which is an opioid drug, like morphine, codeine, heroin and methadone. Opioids are a family of drugs that have morphine-like effects. Their primary medical use is to relieve pain. Other medical uses include control of coughs and diarrhea, and the treatment of addiction to other opioids. Opioids can also produce euphoria, making them prone to abuse.
Oxycodone or OxyContin overdose occurs when someone intentionally or accidentally take too much medicine containing these ingredients. A person may accidentally take too much of the medicine because they are not getting pain relief from their normal doses. There are several reasons why a person may intentionally take too much of this medication. It may be done to try to hurt oneself or to "get high" or intoxicated.
Symptoms: When you take too much of these medications, symptoms are very serious. Symptoms include:
Small pupils -- the black circle in the colored part of your eye
The first thing that will likely occur is that you will become extremely sleepy. Depending on how much you take, this can range from struggling to stay awake to being completely unconscious -- family members may shake you very hard without waking you up.
The most dangerous complication of OxyContin overdose is the effect on your breathing. A hydrocodone/oxycodone overdose can cause your breathing to slow down, become more shallow, and possibly stop, depending on how much medication you have taken.
When you take the correct or prescribed dose of these medicines, side effects may occur. In addition to relieving pain, you may feel drowsy, confused and dazed, nauseated and constipated as well. The higher strengths of this drug (more than 40 milligrams per tablet) should be used only if you have been regularly taking moderate to large amounts of narcotic pain medication. This medication should be used only for ongoing pain that requires strong narcotic pain medication at all times for an extended period.
There is a lot more information and OxyContin news on the internet. Raising awareness on the dangers of this drug is extremely important as it is now one of the most dangerous drugs, at par with cocaine, heroin, etc.
There are no posted comments.
- Home Health Care in North Bellmore
- Unlocking Healthier Futures: Iron Nutrition for Children at KinderCure
- The Dangers of Drug and Alcohol Detox
- Top 7 Latest List of Medical Billing Companies in the USA
- Managing Lactose Intolerance in Children: Expert Guide by KinderCure
- Research-Based Medical Thesis Are Becoming More Important in Chicago to Advance Healthcare
- Revolutionizing Medicine: Breakthroughs in Innovative Diagnostic Technologies
- Childhood Anxiety: Navigating Challenges with KinderCure's Expert Guidance
- Strengthening Your Child’s Immunity Naturally: Proven Tips from KinderCure Clinic
- Colic in Babies: Essential Guide for Parents by Experts at KinderCure
- Playtime Revolution: KinderCure's Guide to Boosting Child Development Through Play
- Colic Relief for Infants: Expert Parenting Tips from KinderCure Clinic, Gurgaon
- Combating Childhood Obesity in India: Strategies and Success Stories from KinderCure Clinic, Gurgaon
- Understanding the Importance of Early Childhood Nutrition: Insights from KinderCure
- Diaper Rash: Prevention, Treatment, and When to See a Doctor
- Chiropractic Treatment for Neck Pain and Nerve Pain Syndromes
- Revolutionizing Healthcare: The Personalized Power of Precision Medicine
- How Dentists Are Using Virtual Reality To Ease Dental Anxiety
- How to Use Careprost to Enhance Eyelash and Eyebrow
- 10 Benefits of a Folding Mobility Scooter
- Unlocking the Potential: A Guide on Utilizing Bulk HHC Distillate
- Bio-Resonance and Children's Health
- Ibuprofen: A Quick and Effective Solution for Lower Back Pain Relief
- THE NEUROSCIENTIFIC FOUNDATIONS OF DECISION MAKING: Well-Being in Patients with Anxiety Disorder and Depression
- Urgent Primary Care: Your Lifeline in Critical Moments
- 10 Great Reasons To Try Chinese Medicine Acupuncture for Fertility
- The Vital Role of Audience Understanding in Healthcare Marketing
- Cataracts: Clouding of Vision
- How to get a medical marijuana card online in Ohio
- Why live a Holistic Lifestyle?